Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #29
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Well apparently the dealership installed mine as part of the PDI inspection. Oh well. I won't lose sleep over it but do wonder how to uninstall it...

Last edited by FINALLYSATISFIED; 01-04-2013 at 11:32 PM.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
We in the diesel world call it a pcv reroute. There is no catch can. There is a hose zip tied to the frame which "dispenses" the unwanted matter.

Hippies would chit a weed brownie

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #31
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Might sound close but it is not. System is closed to atmosphere, breather is not. This doesn't filter anything, breather does. Filters fill up. The breather costs money, this doesn't, comes with the car. If GM, an OEM, went out their way to design and spend money on a part that they put in a customers hands, you better believe it is significant and that it is important on this car for high performance driving. I don't know of any OEM using breather caps. Have fun driving in rain and feeling comfortable that none of that water is not going through your breather cap right into your motor, oh and not into your combustion chamber, instead into your engine full of uncoated ferrous materials.

I don't have a lot of miles on my car and I have been runing with the OEM PCV seperator since day one. The RX catch can doesn't have any dark oil in it, still dripping WD40 (I used up a full can to wash it out).

I have about 1100 miles on the car so no oil in it yet.
The instructions say not to use the oil separator can below 36 degrees. Aren't you in the cold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #32
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
I am in the cold and am sure that disclaimer has to do with people not racing in weather under 36 degrees. Do you know how expensive it can be to validate and test a car in the winter because of $5-10 plastic part? Sure as heck cheaper to print a piece of paper, especially since at 36 degrees you will not put very high lat g's causing oil loss through PCV system.... a normal cap suffices in those instances.

Finally, do you think this part is exposed to 36 degrees after a minute or two under a hood, mounted to a big V8? I didn't think of that before..... Either way, I don't plan on winter driving and would've changed it over if I did use it during extreme colds.

Car is garaged for winter :(

Last edited by Mgizzle; 01-04-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #33
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
I am in the cold and am sure that disclaimer has to do with people not racing in weather under 36 degrees. Do you know how expensive it can be to validate and test a car in the winter because of $5-10 plastic part? Sure as heck cheaper to print a piece of paper, especially since at 36 degrees you will not put very high lat g's causing oil loss through PCV system.... a normal cap suffices in those instances.

Finally, do you think this part is exposed to 36 degrees after a minute or two under a hood, mounted to a big V8? I didn't think of that before..... Either way, I don't plan on winter driving and would've changed it over if I did use it during extreme colds.

Car is garaged for winter :(
Thanks. I seem to recall you had a post somewhere about the RX Catch Can installation WITH the Chevy Performance supplied Oil Separator can. Do you recall where that posting is? I'd like to re-read it.

EDIT: I think I found the URL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=15

Last edited by CrystalRedTintcoat; 01-05-2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Found URL
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #34
Mgizzle

Yeah, I never ran a catch can on a car before so instead of debating if the OEM PCV seperator works or not I decided to throw both on and if I don't catch any oil in the Catch Can than I can be certain it works pretty good.

Like I said, my previous car had a lot of oil in the intake and I wasn't a fan of that.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #35
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Might sound close but it is not. System is closed to atmosphere, breather is not. This doesn't filter anything, breather does. Filters fill up. The breather costs money, this doesn't, comes with the car. If GM, an OEM, went out their way to design and spend money on a part that they put in a customers hands, you better believe it is significant and that it is important on this car for high performance driving. I don't know of any OEM using breather caps. Have fun driving in rain and feeling comfortable that none of that water is not going through your breather cap right into your motor, oh and not into your combustion chamber, instead into your engine full of uncoated ferrous materials.

I don't have a lot of miles on my car and I have been runing with the OEM PCV seperator since day one. The RX catch can doesn't have any dark oil in it, still dripping WD40 (I used up a full can to wash it out).

I have about 1100 miles on the car so no oil in it yet.
That is true with any breather except the RX breather. The RX breather only allows a controlled flow of filtered make up air and keeps the system closed, it does not vent to the air.

And todays diesels do not vent to the air either, the system is closed but a diesel runs at several times the CR and is cpmpression ignition, not spark and ignition timing so the oil ingestion is an entire different issue. Also, any diesel with an open hose will suck in any dirt,dust,water from the ground if the crankcase pressure does not exceed the dirty side recirculation system.

Adding any open, uncontrolled breather allows in an excess of air not metered by the MAF and the MAF, MAP, and upstream O2's are sending data to the PCM that does not fit into the parameters it expects to see, so it throws fuel and pulls it away (log and watch short term and long term fuel trims to see). The RX breathers are all calibrated for the flow that the PCM can still adapt to. Different for a 4 cyl, a 6 cyl, a V8, a V10, etc.

Most dont know this and lump all breathers into the same group (ask any tuner that has to try and compensate for an open breather).

Quote:
Yeah, I never ran a catch can on a car before so instead of debating if the OEM PCV seperator works or not I decided to throw both on and if I don't catch any oil in the Catch Can than I can be certain it works pretty good.

Like I said, my previous car had a lot of oil in the intake and I wasn't a fan of that.
This separator that the 1LE comes with is ONLY for the cleanside and that is generally only a 1-3% of the oil ingestion issue. GM does nothing for the dirty side (95-99%plus of the ingestion), but this is an EXCELLENT solution for the cleanside and eliminates the need for the RX breather kit.

Use this with the RX catchcan and you have one of the best solutions you could at present.

Just like the ZL1/ZR1/CTS-V have (look on the inside radius of the intake coupler...it is a small canister) a very effective clean side separator from 2012 on standard, so no breather kit is needed (would like the sales, but no reason to spend $ where it isnt needed).

Dont expect any solution for the dirtyside from any but the super car manufacturers any time soon.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
That is true with any breather except the RX breather. The RX breather only allows a controlled flow of filtered make up air and keeps the system closed, it does not vent to the air.

And todays diesels do not vent to the air either, the system is closed but a diesel runs at several times the CR and is cpmpression ignition, not spark and ignition timing so the oil ingestion is an entire different issue. Also, any diesel with an open hose will suck in any dirt,dust,water from the ground if the crankcase pressure does not exceed the dirty side recirculation system.

Adding any open, uncontrolled breather allows in an excess of air not metered by the MAF and the MAF, MAP, and upstream O2's are sending data to the PCM that does not fit into the parameters it expects to see, so it throws fuel and pulls it away (log and watch short term and long term fuel trims to see). The RX breathers are all calibrated for the flow that the PCM can still adapt to. Different for a 4 cyl, a 6 cyl, a V8, a V10, etc.

Most dont know this and lump all breathers into the same group (ask any tuner that has to try and compensate for an open breather).

This separator that the 1LE comes with is ONLY for the cleanside and that is generally only a 1-3% of the oil ingestion issue. GM does nothing for the dirty side (95-99%plus of the ingestion), but this is an EXCELLENT solution for the cleanside and eliminates the need for the RX breather kit.

Use this with the RX catchcan and you have one of the best solutions you could at present.

Just like the ZL1/ZR1/CTS-V have (look on the inside radius of the intake coupler...it is a small canister) a very effective clean side separator from 2012 on standard, so no breather kit is needed (would like the sales, but no reason to spend $ where it isnt needed).

Dont expect any solution for the dirtyside from any but the super car manufacturers any time soon.

So what your saying is the RX catch can with the GM Oil sep kit, would be most beneficial in our 1LEs?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #37
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
So what your saying is the RX catch can with the GM Oil sep kit, would be most beneficial in our 1LEs?
Yes. That's what he's saying.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #38
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post

So, Mgizzle above said:

Quote:
Any risk of doing this? Which port (upper or lower) do you squirt the WD-40 into?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #39
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Yes. That's what he's saying.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #40
Mgizzle

The amount of WD 40 in my can is measured in drops. I of course drained as much as I could prior to installing it, left the bottom valve open overnight with the can upright to drip as much as possible. Some probably still left over on the mesh etc. so once I installed it the air flow pushed more of it off the mesh and into the bottom of the can. It's just like having engine oil sitting in the can, which the can is designed to hold a lot more off. No risk or issues with the WD 40 in there.

As far as clean side being 1-3% contributer, I am not buying that from a "gut feel". 1-3% is insignificant and useless, and I am not sure that GM would go through so much trouble with such a large part for 1-3%.

Again, this is why I installed both because after a while the amount of oil in the dirty side (RX) can will tell me how well that PCV seperator works.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #41
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
You just have to pull your intake air tube and coupler off and look at where the cleanside hose attches to see how much oil is ingested from there....very little, and many none. Remember, I have been doing this for over 38 years and deal with this R&D daily, but look for yourself.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #42
CrystalRedTintcoat

RX catch can works!!!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359768070.085738.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  67.9 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359768087.676465.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  61.0 KB