Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #29
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozay View Post
I only have the catch can installed. What else do i need to prevent this in the future?
Its called a clean air separator. Where your CAI has the hose that runs to the back of the engine on the driver side, well you block off the valve at the engine and put in this new oil cap that is lined right to the CAI and allows the crank case ventilation to be optimal and prevents excess engine mist(oil,gas and condensation) from being filtered back into the intake manifold.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #30
rozay

Drives: camaro 2LS LFX A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Its called a clean air separator. Where your CAI has the hose that runs to the back of the engine on the driver side, well you block off the valve at the engine and put in this new oil cap that is lined right to the CAI and allows the crank case ventilation to be optimal and prevents excess engine mist(oil,gas and condensation) from being filtered back into the intake manifold.
and whats the oil cap thing i see people use that has a filter on top of it?
rozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #31
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozay View Post
and whats the oil cap thing i see people use that has a filter on top of it?
Thats a crank case ventilator. I dont believe in using those, as it is basically un metered air(not evaluated by the MAF sensor) entering and exiting the engine. Some of them have check valves, but none the less its just letting the engine breath dirty air.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #32
rozay

Drives: camaro 2LS LFX A6
Quote:
Thats a crank case ventilator. I dont believe in using those, as it is basically un metered air(not evaluated by the MAF sensor) entering and exiting the engine. Some of them have check valves, but none the less its just letting the engine breath dirty air.
ok got it i was just reading some threads about the clean side separator. which company sells the best one as in fitment? elite? rx? or someone else?
rozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #33
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I have the RX catch can and oil separator. I have been using the catch can for 4 years now. PERFORMS fantastic. I now have one of the RX oil separators too. I like how both are preventing oil from accumulating in my intake system.

I would recommend pitching your current catch can and upgrading to the RX system.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #34
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Have the dealer perform an upper induction cleaning with the BG chemical. It's better than Seafoam. It should cost about $180.

If you really want clean valves, then follow this thread to manually clean the valves and the rest of the air intake tract:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288997

No catch can will stop all the build-up. They just slow it down. You'll need to repeat these steps down the road to keep it clean.

Last edited by intensifi; 11-09-2014 at 05:32 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #35
SeaWolfLestat

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
COMPUTING<> BEEP BOOP BOP BEEP<><><><><
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286229
DING DING! COMPLETE<><>

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #36
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
This is gonna happen with our cars because of the way fuel is distributed. Fuel never soaks the valves or intake.
Quote:
Also, use better gas, that has 83 written all over it.
Quote:
I would try running a few tanks(or going forward) of 93 if you dont use it already.
BEEP BOP BOOP

Does not compute.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #37
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
BEEP BOP BOOP

Does not compute.
Lol. Out of context but yeah it looks like i flip flop. I'm talking about different things.

These cars are direct injected cars so the gas does clean certain parts of the top end like other motors do.

Said 83 instead of 87 that was a brain fart.

And I didn't recommend 93 for the cleaning properties of the top end(lack thereof) but for the fact that less carbon will be built up in the lower parts of the engine by consistently running higher octane.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #38
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
here's an interesting article about direct injection carbon build up:
http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

an interesting passage:

"Many automakers’ gasoline DI engines do not appear to exhibit any carbon build-up issues at all, however. Digging into online threads about Cadillac’s 3.6-liter DI V6 in its popular CTS lineup does reveal some owner concerns about carbon build-up, but it’s difficult to find even a single report that any build-up has actually occurred – a record that is notable considering that Cadillac has sold more than 200,000 CTS models with DI V6s (Audi sold fewer than 2,000 RS 4s in the US during its two-year sales run). Haider, GM’s V6 assistant chief engineer, explained how GM has designed its DI engines to combat carbon buildup: “We maintain great engine function and performance in our all our DI engines through an optimization strategy with our valve events,” he said. “Our intake-cam timing, injector targeting and timing of the injection events are optimized to avoid direct fuel contact on the intake valves. This strategy keeps smoke and soot formation to an absolute minimum, which in turn prevents excessive deposit formation.”
At the Detroit Auto Show in January, Ford was confident enough about its popular 3.5 liter EcoBoost direct-injection V6 to have technicians tear down an example engine that had accumulated the equivalent of 160,000 miles through an intentionally abusive regimen of log dragging, high-speed towing and desert racing. When they opened it up before a live audience, they found some light carbon deposits on the valves and pistons, but not enough to affect performance. In fact, the engine showed a loss of just one horsepower afterwards – roughly what Boyadjiev’s RS 4 engine lost every 500 miles."

Last edited by jd10013; 11-22-2014 at 11:34 AM.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #39
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Guys, the V-6 are DFI engines. That means fuel never goes over the valves since it is squirted into the cylinder. No fuel injection cleaner or better gas is going to fix what happens to DFI engines on their valves. Catch can is your only protection, BUT you should have one on dirty side and PVC side to prevent oil getting into your intake at WOT.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #40
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
So much room for porting

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #41
911medic

Quote:
I would try running a few tanks(or going forward) of 93 if you dont use it already. I used the seafoam guide on here myself and it was easy. Drive the hell out of it on the last step. You dont want any of that carbon build up to end up in your cats. Good Luck. Id love to see a before and after on here. I think it would be the first.
Nope.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 11-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #42
911medic

Quote:
Lol. Out of context but yeah it looks like i flip flop. I'm talking about different things.

These cars are direct injected cars so the gas does clean certain parts of the top end like other motors do.

Said 83 instead of 87 that was a brain fart.

And I didn't recommend 93 for the cleaning properties of the top end(lack thereof) but for the fact that less carbon will be built up in the lower parts of the engine by consistently running higher octane.
OK.

I'm not sure how the OP's pictures of his dirty intake valves would generate a response like "Also, use better gas, that has [87] written all over it" and have anyone interpret that to be a comment regarding the "lower parts of the engine," but I'll take your word for it.