Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #29
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
I read somewhere a while back that turning the AC off a few minutes before reaching your destination helps to evaporate the excess moisture and prevents mold/mildew buildup. I've been doing that since and the stink that used to happen each time I stopped or started the AC is either nominal or non-existent. This was a few cars/years ago.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #30
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Maybe I am the weird one then cause I only have the AC on long enough to cool down the interior. Then the AC goes off so I have a little more power and the windows go down so I can hear her better...and yea keep it from getting hot again
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #31
Buddy2

Drives: 2012 camaro convertible 45th Ed.
Yup. Old habit I guess,from my youth,when the battery was half dead all the time. LOL
Buddy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #32
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinjc View Post
I thought you were suppose to turn the AC off. Something about it was hard on the engine to start the car with the AC on. Not sure of this still applies, but I still do it.
I haven't checked my manual for the Mustang, but yeah, on the Focus they recommended shutting the A/C off before turning the car off to reduce load on the engine when performing a cold start. Also helps with mold build up and stink.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #33
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
I only use my A/C when it's over 95 outside, but if I am using the A/C I keep it on when I turn the car so that when I use the remote start it can take the edge off the heat when I get into it.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #34
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorovaMB View Post
QFT. Gotta love the irony, too, of this coming from a guy named "Urban legend". Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Korova!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 PM   #35
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinjc View Post
I thought you were suppose to turn the AC off. Something about it was hard on the engine to start the car with the AC on. Not sure of this still applies, but I still do it.
Heard something like that also to help reduce load/stress on the engine, think I've heard it from my dad so its a habit now.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #36
HollyVenus
The girl with the 2 Danes

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw View Post
No need to turn it off, when you start your car, all the power is directed to the ignition and starter, your a/c, radio, don`t turn on until the engine is running.
excellent point actually..... I forgot abut that... I get in the ac blows and radio is low... but when I turn the key everything stops inducing the power windows!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #37
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
I've only used my AC about twice in the 2 years I've owned it. It stays off.

Get in, start up, then open windows and sunroof everytime.
^^^This! Hate how much power the AC robs. Even in the Texas heat I generally cannot bring myself to turn it on. Really only use it when passengers complain. And yes when in use I always turn it off before the car. Old habit...
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #38
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post
What? The static pressure is equal on both the high and low side of the compressor when off. How would pressure suddenly get built up anyway unless the compressor was running? Once the compressor is running the high side pressure rises and the low side drops to normal running pressure. There may be a lockout switch that keeps the clutch from energizing while cranking ,but it is certainly no pressure switch.
correct the psi will equalize in time..
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #39
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
I read somewhere a while back that turning the AC off a few minutes before reaching your destination helps to evaporate the excess moisture and prevents mold/mildew buildup. I've been doing that since and the stink that used to happen each time I stopped or started the AC is either nominal or non-existent. This was a few cars/years ago.

when you stop after running the a/c for some time, you should get a puddle of water under the evaporator(on the ground)..if not check to see if the drain is plugged..
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #40
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Oh my, lot of OCD here. I do not do this, turn stuff off before shutting the car off. The first time I rode with someone that did, I was a little confused as to why. Then every time I rode with him, he repeated that process. He had no 'reason', he just did.

When I fire it up, I want to FIRE IT UP. Radio on, air on, radar detector on, GPS on, cutout open.... let's roll brotha!
I wouldn't call it OCD. I do it because the mornings around here are cool- that and I don't want to be blasted in the face with air or loud music. I leave for work pretty early in the morning.

Just kind of like when it rains and you leave the wipers on. The next morning you start up the car and scraaaaape- dry wipers go across the window.

It's unpleasant, is all. If the settings are just going to get changed or turned off anyway, seems like a nice thing to do (especially if you share a car with someone).
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #41
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
yeah keep mine off, dont use as much electric, helps keep the meter from running.
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #42
Wapoel
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
Here you pretty much have to all summer long.
Cars gets very hot inside.
Wapoel is offline   Reply With Quote