Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Nice video.......just need a little kachunkachunk now!
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #30
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Yep yours sounds just like mine did.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #31
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the sound when u had your LTs? It's funny, but mine almost seems quieter when cruising. It gets real loud when on the throttle, though.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #32
B Mccue

Drives: 2011 1ss ls3
Quote:

what didn't you like about the sound of the LT's? and..
Where did you get ported exhaust manifolds and how do they sound/ perform?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #33
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Mccue View Post
what didn't you like about the sound of the LT's? and..
Where did you get ported exhaust manifolds and how do they sound/ perform?
Thanks
If you make the S sound most noticable at idle in the video. It's like the ssss sound is an undertone riding on the ehaust pulses. sss...sss...sss. I'm real sensitive to sound and while most may hear it and either not notice or say something is different but aren't sure what, it stands out and is annoying to me. But as I mentieond before, had I gone directly from stock exhaust to headers I may not have paid as much attention.

The funny thing is I was telling my tuner about this and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He also said that doing an aftermarket cam cleans up the sound. E.T. is heading that direction so it will be fun to hear a comaprison afterwards.

As far as my ported manifolds go, I ported them myself while the headers were still on my car. The first time I saw how bad the casting was around the primary openings, I knew I'd port them even if I never put them back on the car.

She is only memory now.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #34
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
If you make the S sound most noticable at idle in the video. It's like the ssss sound is an undertone riding on the ehaust pulses. sss...sss...sss. I'm real sensitive to sound and while most may hear it and either not notice or say something is different but aren't sure what, it stands out and is annoying to me. But as I mentieond before, had I gone directly from stock exhaust to headers I may not have paid as much attention.

The funny thing is I was telling my tuner about this and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He also said that doing an aftermarket cam cleans up the sound. E.T. is heading that direction so it will be fun to hear a comaprison afterwards.

As far as my ported manifolds go, I ported them myself while the headers were still on my car. The first time I saw how bad the casting was around the primary openings, I knew I'd port them even if I never put them back on the car.
I think that sss-sss-sss sound might be what some people call the "tinny" sound that headers give. It is a bit different than before, but I don't mind. Good ears though, IndeedSS There are definitely two distinct sounds in the vid. In the front, you hear the engine and header sound more, and then when I walk around back, you mainly hear the exhaust.

The audio on that camera is pretty crappy. I bet if I took a clip with my PCM audio recorder, it would be more distinct. Maybe I'll try later.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I think that sss-sss-sss sound might be what some people call the "tinny" sound that headers give. It is a bit different than before, but I don't mind. Good ears though, IndeedSS There are definitely two distinct sounds in the vid. In the front, you hear the engine and header sound more, and then when I walk around back, you mainly hear the exhaust.

The audio on that camera is pretty crappy. I bet if I took a clip with my PCM audio recorder, it would be more distinct. Maybe I'll try later.
I appreciate you taking the time to check and am happy that it doesn't bother you. No need to try for a better recording.

She is only memory now.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #36
IndeedSS1

Many thanks to E.T. for being okay with me posting a video to reference the sound I mentioned earlier. This was done with a cheap camera and if there is a way of recording at a higher volume I couldn't find it.

She is only memory now.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #37
Zyklon-SS

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3
Sounds awesome!
Zyklon-SS is offline   Reply With Quote