Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #29
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
One more thing to consider: in addition to the MRC shocks, you can get the Recaros as a standalone option in the SS, too, without having to get the 1LE package. And in the 2SS, they will indeed be heated. The regular SS handles well, and honestly is more than enough if you aren't going to track or autocross the car. If I bought an SS for street use and lived in PA like Spazeack, I'd probably buy an extra set of wheels in the 1LE sizes and use those as my "three-season" wheels and tires, and then put Conti DWS tires or even performance winter tires on the SS wheels for winter driving.

If you get a 1LE, it's still a good daily car. The only real difference in that use over an SS with MRC and Recaros will be that it rides a little stiffer. But I daily my 1LE and in Tour mode it's fine. And the 1LE package is cheap enough that it may not be much more expensive than the MRC/Recaro-equipped SS. And then you have the eLSD, big brakes (which you can also get on the SS), 10qt oil pan, and several coolers that give you a track-ready car if you ever choose to do that. If you get that car, you'll have to consider if you want to run the stock Goodyears on the street. They are great tires, decent autocross tires, but not ideal for street use. They're fine when it's warm and dry. But you might want another set of wheels with Conti DWS for three-season use.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #30
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazeack View Post
So from what i am hearing sounds like i should just get the 1LE. I liked the Recaro seats and with how i had built the 2SS out it was only like 2,000 cheaper. I had already wanted the performance exhaust ( I have it on my current 17 SS and love it have never taken it out of track mode lol) This could be the last gas engine Camaro i buy so i figure option it out and dont have the i wish i would have syndrome.

I have had my 1SS for the last 5 years its a 17. I only would get another Manual i have been driving Camaro/Firebirds for well over 30 years now still own my 01 Trans Am WS6.

I would burn through those tires in not time as I already replace rear tires very year on my current car and only get 2 seasons out of fronts. I like to throw the car in a corner but don't think i would track the car very often.

Also you guys realize a stock SS has 20 inch rims already right..

SO my only real question is are the Recaro seats Heated??? I was surprised they where full power.

thanks,

If the price of the 2SS is already approaching the ZL1 price, then I'll throw something else out there for you to consider. If in a few years, after the robots have taken over, and EVs run the world (I kid the Q-anon members) when old age has taken you, and it's time to sell the Camaro, there is going to be more value in it being a ZL1 than a 2SS to anyone that might be interested. It would be like buying a Silverado Trail Boss vs buying a Silverado LT and adding all the nice visuals and off-road stuff that's on the Trail Boss. Sure, it's going to probably be as capable, maybe even more capable, but if/when it comes time to sell, the Trail Boss is going to be valued at more just because of the trim.

When you look at some of the classic auto auctions out there, you will always see something like a Pontiac GTO Judge or a Mustang Boss, you see the auction price and are like, "WTH how'd that car go for less than it should've?" you find out that it may have been a "regular" GTO or Mustang but was upgraded later by one of the owners. I say get the highest trim you can swing now, and then go from there. Good luck. I went back and forth on the 1LE trim myself, but what kept me from it was reading how really firm it was for daily use. I won't be using my daily, but I love being able to change my suspension settings on my SS Sedan, so I figure I'm going to love it in the Camaro.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:57 PM   #31
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
If the price of the 2SS is already approaching the ZL1 price, then I'll throw something else out there for you to consider. If in a few years, after the robots have taken over, and EVs run the world (I kid the Q-anon members) when old age has taken you, and it's time to sell the Camaro, there is going to be more value in it being a ZL1 than a 2SS to anyone that might be interested. It would be like buying a Silverado Trail Boss vs buying a Silverado LT and adding all the nice visuals and off-road stuff that's on the Trail Boss. Sure, it's going to probably be as capable, maybe even more capable, but if/when it comes time to sell, the Trail Boss is going to be valued at more just because of the trim.

When you look at some of the classic auto auctions out there, you will always see something like a Pontiac GTO Judge or a Mustang Boss, you see the auction price and are like, "WTH how'd that car go for less than it should've?" you find out that it may have been a "regular" GTO or Mustang but was upgraded later by one of the owners. I say get the highest trim you can swing now, and then go from there. Good luck. I went back and forth on the 1LE trim myself, but what kept me from it was reading how really firm it was for daily use. I won't be using my daily, but I love being able to change my suspension settings on my SS Sedan, so I figure I'm going to love it in the Camaro.
There's undoubtedly a lot of truth in this for the eventual resale scenario. I spent as much on my 2SS as a ZL1 would've cost (discounting unrelated mishaps), and am fully aware that my initial choice leads to near certain loss on the resale front.

However, at least in my case, it also meant I was able to step up the capabilites of the car in increments, practically getting regular power bumps and ride/handling improvements on a car that I already love, making it feel almost like getting a new trim or upgrade every time as I got accustomed to the car (and, again in my case, I couldn't get a new version anyway, because I cannot stand the 2019+ design).

This is an amazing present experience difficult to express in monetary terms. I made the call in favor of this and consciously sacrificed some potential resale value.

Also, trading for a ZL1 would've been a greater loss and only a single upgrade, after which the "now what" kicks in. Modified ZL1s will most likely not be fetching as much of a resale value, adding power does not translate to higher prices, unless maybe it's some known off-the-shelf package from a highly reputable shop, and I'm not completely sure even then.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #32
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
There's undoubtedly a lot of truth in this for the eventual resale scenario. I spent as much on my 2SS as a ZL1 would've cost (discounting unrelated mishaps), and am fully aware that my initial choice leads to near certain loss on the resale front.

However, at least in my case, it also meant I was able to step up the capabilites of the car in increments, practically getting regular power bumps and ride/handling improvements on a car that I already love, making it feel almost like getting a new trim or upgrade every time as I got accustomed to the car (and, again in my case, I couldn't get a new version anyway, because I cannot stand the 2019+ design).

This is an amazing present experience difficult to express in monetary terms. I made the call in favor of this and consciously sacrificed some potential resale value.

Also, trading for a ZL1 would've been a greater loss and only a single upgrade, after which the "now what" kicks in. Modified ZL1s will most likely not be fetching as much of a resale value, adding power does not translate to higher prices, unless maybe it's some known off-the-shelf package from a highly reputable shop, and I'm not completely sure even then.
Consumers in the used car market can be a little fickle, and having owned a few vehicles that I have modded myself and subsequently sold, I seemed to never get any money out of installed mods, and as you mentioned sometimes lose money. I would like to get a Lingenfelter package installed, as you have to figure that a lot of these shops may go under as EVs won't have the kind of modability as ICE. Now is the perfect time to get the build as you want, and ride out the spike in prices that are just around the corner.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:41 PM   #33
GOC

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Shadow Grey
This is just my opinion but I would put future values in BMW M3 terms:

An E36 M3 3.0 with the 5 speed is a desirable car, but the 3.2 with the 6 speed is the one you want - and auction values reflect this, like for like, clean example versus clean example.

I would think future Camaros will follow the same pattern and model hierarchy - SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE

Modified versions never hold the same value, as it doesn’t make sense to build something you can buy (no disrespect to anyone here intended)

We may be driving some of the last true drivers cars being built/designed
GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:56 PM   #34
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I had a 1SS with MRC build submitted but got a chance to look at a 2SS 1LE and I'm glad I took the chance. The ride is a lil stiff but you will get use to it. Its not my daily driver though but I love the time I spend in it. The wife likes it and that's a big plus. All of the extra options are a plus also so I would guess the call is up to you. No one can tell you what you would like so the choice is yours. Speaking as a guy that almost settled for a 1 SS with MRC I'm glad I found the 2SS 1LE at the last minute.
WiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #35
Future1LE

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE
I daily my 1SS 1LE and had no problem. The ride can be rough but you get use to it. SS 1LE come standard with the Mag ride control so not sure why some said to skip 1LE if you want the mag ride. Maybe the option has changed since owning my 2017. If you do not track the car and the main reason you want the 1LE package is the looks and the unique wheel and there is no problem with that.
Future1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #36
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I put close to 40,000 miles on my 2016 1SS and am getting close to 60,000 on my 2018 SS 1LE. Both are fine DDs from my perspective.
SS 1LE scrapes entering and exiting some businesses near downtown Houston because it is lower than a regular SS. Even on tour suspension mode, the suspension is uncomfortably rough over uneven/bumpy roads. On smooth flat roads there's not much difference. The non-1LE SSes that I have rented with and without MRC were more forgiving on uneven and bumpy roads while still handling very well, probably because of their softener bushings and sway bars. I am happy to accept those tradeoffs since I track the car but wouldn't recommend the 1LE package if you will never track the car.

The Goodyear Supercar 3 tires are best for the track with worse cool and wet weather performance than something like Michelin PS4S. Supercar 3's are manageable in cool/wet conditions if you have tread depth remaining and drive carefully but they're not ideal.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #37
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
SS 1LE scrapes entering and exiting some businesses near downtown Houston because it is lower than a regular SS. Even on tour suspension mode, the suspension is uncomfortably rough over uneven/bumpy roads. On smooth flat roads there's not much difference. The non-1LE SSes that I have rented with and without MRC were more forgiving on uneven and bumpy roads while still handling very well, probably because of their softener bushings and sway bars. I am happy to accept those tradeoffs since I track the car but wouldn't recommend the 1LE package if you will never track the car.

The Goodyear Supercar 3 tires are best for the track with worse cool and wet weather performance than something like Michelin PS4S. Supercar 3's are manageable in cool/wet conditions if you have tread depth remaining and drive carefully but they're not ideal.
Yep, the scraping can be a PIA (I can zoom into any parking lot without worrying about destroying a splitter anymore) The alcantara matting with it’s skin oil collection, as well as some difficulty getting in and out of the recaro’s, helped push me away from a 1LE. I wanted to slim down the chances of failures, maintenance, as well as potential costs. I didn’t feel the need for MRC….It’s nice over railroad tracks etc, but that’s about it (at least for me). The base suspension is quite good. The extra coolers, ELSD and massive brakes, were three more items I couldn’t see myself realistically utilizing. The wheels and tires are awesome on the 1LE, so I have a set of those going on for spring and summer.

I will say, the 1LE is the best value. No doubt about it from a total performance stance. Just way more hardware and software than most people (like me) really need, for suburban roads.

Last edited by Chutzpah; 02-06-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #38
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I say get the 1LE. If you don’t I’m willing to bet you will often say to yourself….”‘maybe I should have gotten the 1LE”
They look mean, they have one of the best looking rims ever optioned on a car in my opinion, they have more capability on track than the SS model, and they are a bargain for the capabilities you get. Just my opinion.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #39
Sickstylemob

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1ss Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazeack View Post
So those of you that ordered the 1LE package do you think it was worth it. I am getting ready to place my order and am really considering the 1LE. I just tried the Recaro seats and they were nice and comfy. I was surprised they were still full power seats! Do they come heated in the 2SS trim level? The dealer i deal with just got a 1SS in with the Recaro seats added and i was pleasantly surprised they where full power.

How is the 1LE suspension for daily driving? This will be my main car just like my 17 1SS currently is. I figured i would go for the gusto so to speak this time.

thanks,

Mind me asking what the price tag is?
I feel like new ones went up a bit this year across the board
Sickstylemob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:37 PM   #40
Spazeack

Drives: 2023 2SS1LE
Well i ordered a 1LE I figured might as well go for it. Now just waiting for the dealer to get allocation and the order. They said it should happen this week. I ended up going with one of the larger dealerships in the area so they should be able to get it hopefully by May. The wait starts.....
Spazeack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:07 PM   #41
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Some food for thought. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602370
Old 02-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #42
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
As far as scraping, I haven't had any trouble at all. My buddy with a Hellcat Charger is deathly scare of scraping while I just drive off where he would scrape like a normal car, LOL.

He theorized that it might just be how stiff the SS 1LE/ZL1 FE4 suspension is.

In other words, if my SS 1LE scrapes on something, your average Camry/Civic probably will, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
That's a ZLE issue. Not so much applicable to SS 1LE unless you get those installed yourself.

Just gotta watch out for the front splitter.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote