Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #29
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
The biggest problems I've found with Dell's are they are very sensitive to heat. If you have the box setup in an enclosed desk, they will lock up in a heart beat.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #30
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
Usually when you buy bleeding edge technology (esp w/ windows) you end up with something that is really cool, fast, makes your friends oooh and aaah, plays all the new games at max settings, then blue screens 6 times, freezes once a day or so, tells you you're not the owner of your own files and to please contact your system administrator if the problem persists

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #31
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
Usually when you buy bleeding edge technology (esp w/ windows) you end up with something that is really cool, fast, makes your friends oooh and aaah, plays all the new games at max settings, then blue screens 6 times, freezes once a day or so, tells you you're not the owner of your own files and to please contact your system administrator if the problem persists
VERY TRUE

I've been back and forth on getting a new Dell Studio XPS 7100. Not bleeding edge but its got the newest AMD 6 Core. Yes I could build it cheaper, hell I've built more computers than I can remember, but when they have the sales on these things the price is not bad, and theres something to be said about getting a computer to the spec you want that you can just plug in and go.

Then again I'm cheap, and I really want an exhaust for my SS so I'll probably stick with my nearly 6 year old Alienware....

To the OP, IMO with these problems it would have been boxed up and requested a new one by now... Whats the return/exchange policy have you considered that?
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #32
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
i love my Toshiba Satelite Laptop
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #33
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
That's why I build my own computers. Nothing but joy!
Desktop Computers are one thing.

Building a laptop is another.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #34
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
VERY TRUE

I've been back and forth on getting a new Dell Studio XPS 7100. Not bleeding edge but its got the newest AMD 6 Core. Yes I could build it cheaper, hell I've built more computers than I can remember, but when they have the sales on these things the price is not bad, and theres something to be said about getting a computer to the spec you want that you can just plug in and go.

Then again I'm cheap, and I really want an exhaust for my SS so I'll probably stick with my nearly 6 year old Alienware....

To the OP, IMO with these problems it would have been boxed up and requested a new one by now... Whats the return/exchange policy have you considered that?

Yea I build too. Last machine I built about 4 years ago now, Intel Quad QX6700, evga680i sli bord, two 8800gtx-sc's and 4 gigs of ram.... right around $4k machine and gives me fits every once in awhile Just like a high maintenance woman, give her all the best and she will still make you want to find a nice high bridge Both keep me warm in the winter too

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #35
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPowered View Post
Get a nice toshiba laptop. I have had mine for about three years now and no problems. Never been let down by toshiba

I agree.......I have a couple toshiba laptops and they are top notch.....no problems
Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #36
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
New or newer parts arent always good parts.

if you know what your doing just a little, its not that hard at all, like doing spark plug wires, cept you can't mix up what plugs in where, just only do one connection at a time, and take notes if you need too. Id just go pick up a new PS on your own and replace it then wait for a paid flunky still in school.

hehehehe
Well, there are a few things to take into account when putting the hardware together.

Like when powering everything - never plug an "always on" component like a hard drive into the same power chain (the plugs come in groupings of 1-4) as an intermittent component, like a CD drive. Also, never plug a fan in with anything else.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #37
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Nothing from Dell is "top of the line", unless maybe you consider the Alienware stuff.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #38
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Get a Mac, you can install windows in there, both virtual and on the HD.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #39
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Get a Mac, you can install windows in there, both virtual and on the HD.
I'm a big Mac fan. In fact I'm using my Macbook to type right now, but if it's games you want to play a Mac even booting to Windows just doesn't cut it. The PC world just has more Graphics card and processor options at a more affordable price. Of course if hard core gaming isn't your goal a Mac is a great choice. The day to day computing can't be beat and the service has always been superb. There's something to be said for being able to walk into an Apple store and walk out with a working product or at least know it will be fixed quickly, and by someone in this country.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #40
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
This is why I built my own PC. I also have a Dell xps M1710 that runs pretty good.

You might want to check out other companies too! DigitalStorm has high quality builds at a fair price.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #41
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Thanks for all the advice guys. They're supposed to call me back tonight at around seven.
I've decided what I'm going to do is what one of you said in your post. I have it on my dell account. So I'm telling them tonight to send me a new one or I'm not paying anymore payments on the account.(If I have to play hard ball that is).

I don't know why some of you say that nothing dell has is top of the line. This computer has one of the best processors made (I7 960, a great vid card (hd 5870), loads of memory and
a decent drive. Do you mean the motherboards , power supplies ,and the other componets? Just asking

I understand that one can build computers cheaper than buying them ,but that only works if you know how to build one properly. I only work with computers. I don't work on them like a lot of you. I wish I knew more about them to build and set one up myself.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #42
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
i have the xps7900, and love it so far. had it for about a month.