Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
If the clean line goes to the intake tube just to get a source of clean air, why not add a small air filter to the end of the clean PCV line and plug the hole in the intake where it used to go?

Seems like a cheap easy fix. Thoughts???

This would work fine, just make sure it has a baffle of some sort.
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #30
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Anybody contacted injen to get their thoughts?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #31
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
If the clean line goes to the intake tube just to get a source of clean air, why not add a small air filter to the end of the clean PCV line and plug the hole in the intake where it used to go?

Seems like a cheap easy fix. Thoughts???
It will, but is not emissions compliant in states with inspections.

The reason some have this issue & some don't I believe is how well the rings seated. Those with an issue of blow-by will have more issues that those that sealed well.

Same with the V8's.

And to go one further, some low mileage cars with the cans catching more oil in the beginning than are after say 10-15k miles when the rings may be better seated.

On the road race cars we generally fit a dual can that mounts in one location but covers both the dirty & the clean side since they are run at WOT much of the time and the severe G's of cornering, heavy accelerating & braking cause more oil mist inside the crankcase.

Hope this helps some.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #32
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Who has a catch can for the drivers side... I'm sold.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #33
SC2150
Account Suspended

You can mount it on either side, just specify when you order so the proper bracket is included.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #34
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I checked my dirty-side catch can after one week and it had probably an ounce of oil in it. Just thinking out load, but could we be getting a vacuum that pulls this through the TB into the intake when letting off from WOT? Maybe the oil is all coming from the dirty side?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #35
SC2150
Account Suspended

Only with the small cans. The velocity of the flow needs to slow enough for the oil to fall out of suspension, and if the inlet is to close to the outlet, and if the area is to small that can be the result. At high RPM's after a WOT run the intake manifold vacuum is at its highest, and that is where this would occur.

Think of air flowing through a straw, the velocity is the same at the inlet as the outlet...AND in the center. Now balloon that straw open in the center and the air flow will slow & swirl in the middle, but regain the same velocity at the outlet but if blowing liquid through it some will trap some in the larger area in the middle.

Now imagine it is a straw cut in half and one end goes into one side of a beer can, and the other end in the other side. The flow in the can will slow even more (the larger the area, the greater time for the flow to slow & any liquid to drop out of suspension) even though the velocity at each end of the straw remains the same.

Now add a positive closing checkvalve and one that meters, or controls the flow so it is never greater than needed for the oil to be trapped and you eliminate most of the possibility of oil being "pulled" through.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #36
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

One other issue with just putting a seperate filter on the clean side is that it will effect the tune by bringing in unmetered air through the system.

As Tracy mentioned any can you would use on the "dirty" side will work on the "clean" side also if you need on there.

For those wanting to order a dual can package I can do two of my base units at a special price which I quoted here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=17

I figure it is bad enough that folks need a can in the first place much less need two, so I can knock off $20 off a purchase of two as a package base kit.

In asking about Injen being contacted, I would say it is not an issue with the aftermarket units as some folks are seeing this issue with the stock intake tubes also.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #37
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Damn you for typing when I do Tracy

GretchenGotGrowl,

I believe that all of the V6 LLT's are pulling a typical amount of oil into the intake.

The folks that are getting oil pulled in through the intake tract seem to be about 50% or less (hopefully) based on the comments in this thread and others.

You would "see" the air intake side more easily if you ever pulled the inlet off to change or check it. If that "clean" side is clean and you were to remove the TB and feel down into the cavity just behind the TB, I am sure you will find oil in there coming from the PCV dirty side of the system.

Mike Norris
Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #38
SC2150
Account Suspended

LOL! The size (length) and design of Mikes can makes it so effective. Even though we are direct competitors when we did the side by side testing his outperformed all the other filter media cans we tested against ours. This was done with an inline clear glass fuel filter plumbed inline between the can outlet and the intake manifold on a car known to have the issue. Most all the good cans trapped the same amount of oil, but the RX, Saiku Micchi, and Mike Norris/CCA can all showed no or nearly no oil getting past.

But ALL the cans we tested, even the cheap home depot/lowes air compressor plastic unit caught oil, the key was what got past.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #39
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post
Damn you for typing when I do Tracy

GretchenGotGrowl,

I believe that all of the V6 LLT's are pulling a typical amount of oil into the intake.

The folks that are getting oil pulled in through the intake tract seem to be about 50% or less (hopefully) based on the comments in this thread and others.

You would "see" the air intake side more easily if you ever pulled the inlet off to change or check it. If that "clean" side is clean and you were to remove the TB and feel down into the cavity just behind the TB, I am sure you will find oil in there coming from the PCV dirty side of the system.

Mike Norris
Sorry, I think I wasn't clear. I've got your can and it is catching oil. I was just wondering if those without a catch can could be pulling some of that oil from behind the TB into the intake tube because of a vacuum when the let off of WOT. That would mean it was coming from the dirty side. I don't know. Mine is in the shop right now getting the paint repaired. When I get it back I'll take off the Injen and clean it, behind the TB then drive it a bit. If there is oil back in the intake tube then it is coming from the clean side. If that's the case I want the second can as soon as you get it fitted. I'm taking it down for the turbo install on Saturday and that will just suck more oil in.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #40
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Sorry, I think I wasn't clear. I've got your can and it is catching oil. I was just wondering if those without a catch can could be pulling some of that oil from behind the TB into the intake tube because of a vacuum when the let off of WOT. That would mean it was coming from the dirty side. I don't know. Mine is in the shop right now getting the paint repaired. When I get it back I'll take off the Injen and clean it, behind the TB then drive it a bit. If there is oil back in the intake tube then it is coming from the clean side. If that's the case I want the second can as soon as you get it fitted. I'm taking it down for the turbo install on Saturday and that will just suck more oil in.
I do not see any way oil could flow forward out of the intake through the TB and into the intake tract due to the velocity of the airflow at that area. I can see a little puddling at the TB blade such as what was pictured here in the first post, but not traveling much further. Unless of course the oil built up so much in the valley behind the TB and sloshed under braking somehow. But even then the vacuum at that point would pull it back.

When you do what you proposed as far as removing the Injen and cleaning everything, you should easily tell where the oil is coming from for sure.

Cool on the turbo install by the way

Thanks Tracy.

Mike Norris
Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #41
dagolfguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
I'm wondering if some type of baffle would solve the clean side problem. Could the clean side oil pull simply be caused by the engine trying to pull air from anyplace it can get it during hard acceleration? If it's possible to suck air into the engine through the clean side tube because the engine can't get enough through the air filter, I'm guessing it would pull oil right up through that tube with the air. If not pulling air, it may be creating vacuum at both the clean and dirty sides IF the engine is somehow starving for air through the filter.
Seems plausible. It also seems that some of the variability we are hearing about in what different people are seeing may be caused by the differences in the restriction of their intake systems. The engine is going to get the air from the path of least resistance.
I'm saying that a baffle that would discourage air intake from the crankcase but allow air to flow in the other direction would seem to be a very simple solution. A baffle, or perhaps better yet - something like an old PVC valve with a check ball on the clean side.
Crazy?
dagolfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #42
SC2150
Account Suspended

DAGolfGuy, an after market off road breather on the clean side will eliminate the ingestion from that point, but it is not emmissions compliant or a positive closing checkvalve. I have the poly pintal vales in stock that can be retrofitted...

As for a turbo application, that brings into a complete new set of issues as while in boost the intake manifold is positive pressurized and you will need a series of check valves to prevent crankcase pressurization.

Here is a good thread on the challenges of forced induction and a proper crankcase ventalation set up.

Gretchen, you will be able to still use Mikes can with the addition of some positive closing checkvalves installed in the proper locations.

:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102582