Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
They have a poll at nascar.com.

Name:  img1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  img2.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  166.9 KB

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #30
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Volt?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #31
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Wow, that article is from way back in June of last year. Here's a link to an update. http://www.nascar.com/news/110118/ch...013/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 Autobot View Post
This is VERY SIMPLE! Even the people are NASCAR can comprehend it.
You want similarities? Hows this. NASCAR provides the frame of the car thats it. Since its poncar size and configuration you have something on the long hood short trunklid shape just like all the cars they talked about..

SO the tube frame is set.
Now you ship it to the Chevy NASCAR team they have the same fiberglass type of bodies BUT they are shaped like the Camaro.
Now you ship it to the Ford NASCAR team they have the same fiberglass type of bodies BUT they are shaped like the Mustang.
Now you ship it to the Dodge NASCAR team they have the same fiberglass type of bodies BUT they are shaped like the Challenger.

you throw your sponsors engine in it and your ready to go!!!

Is this SO HARD???

NO it is not. Teams use Chevy or Ford or Dodge for the advantages. Not trying to make them so similar that stickers are the only thing that you can tell they are not the same car.

NASCAR..DO IT!
You are way over simplifying it. Even a drag coefficient difference of 0.01 between cars will have a huge impact on racing at 200mph. Nobody wants to see a runaway winner every single race.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #32
JJ#48Racing

Quote:
FenwickHockey65;2747795You want to make NASCAR interesting again? At the start of each season, every race team heads to Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge dealerships and buys a Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger (don't know what Toyota teams will do, but who the hell cares). They take those cars and make them into race cars. No more BS about every car needing to be built to the same specs, you run with what you brought. I guarantee you ratings will go up.
And racing will be slower and drivers will die due to the lack of safety equipment. Even slapping in a roll cage wouldn't be enough, it needs to have a full tube framed chassis. By the time you added in all the safety aspects that are incorperated into the COT car, there wouldn't be anything left of a production car.

NASCAR has evolved. I'm not saying all for the better, but it can't be exactly the same as it was back in the day. Cars are too fast for that and safety demands won't allow it. I think SCCA or Le Mans is more for you.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #33
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I am a bit confused by this because NASCAR doesn't actually race the actual cars that are being represented. They don't actually race the Fusion, Charger, Camry, etc... They are running the "Car of Tomorrow" as they call it. All NASCAR cars are exactly the same since they switched over to the "Car of Tomorrow". What you are looking at on the cars is basically like a painting over the CoT to look somewhat like the car it's trying to represent.

So does this all mean they will be allow actual cars back onto the track or does this mean they will make a CoT to look like a Camaro?
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #34
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
And racing will be slower and drivers will die due to the lack of safety equipment. Even slapping in a roll cage wouldn't be enough, it needs to have a full tube framed chassis. By the time you added in all the safety aspects that are incorperated into the COT car, there wouldn't be anything left of a production car.

Clearly NASCAR isn't your series. May I suggest SCCA or Le Mans.
Depends how you look at it. I disagree 100% and many others do too.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #35
JJ#48Racing

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more individuality in the bodies and have the cars look more like production cars. But not at the expense of competition or safety. And in order to achieve that, it won't be an easy task.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 PM   #36
2SSRSGTOTA

Drives: 2010 2SS / RS Coupe Rally Yellow
COOL LIKE TO SEE THAT
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS 6.2L L99 Auto
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV 5.3L V8 Auto (sold)
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7L V8 LS1 Auto
1995 Pontiac Trans Am 5.7L V8 LT1 LE2.2 Auto
2SSRSGTOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #37
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more individuality in the bodies and have the cars look more like production cars. But not at the expense of competition or safety. And in order to achieve that, it won't be an easy task.

Australia does it. Why can't we?

Those aren't production cars either, in fact I believe the VE Commodores/FG Falcons run in V8 Supercars are shortened substantially. Yet they still look more or less like their production counterparts.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #38
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
that would be cool
Old 01-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #39
JJ#48Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Australia does it. Why can't we?

Those aren't production cars either, in fact I believe the VE Commodores/FG Falcons run in V8 Supercars are shortened substantially. Yet they still look more or less like their production counterparts.
I'll take your word for it cause I can't view the video from here. If it can be done while meeting acceptable safety, cost, and competition benchmarks, then I'm all for it. I just don't think It'll be as easy as people try to make it sound.

From the posted links in this thread NASCAR is trying to take a step in the right direction, and I applaud that. I didn't watch NASCAR in the Earnhardt Sr. days and I'm a big fan of the racing in it's current state. I don't put much "stock" in the idea that they are "stock cars". I'd love to see the Camaro name and have it look like one too, but they could take all the names off and I'd still like it for the competition. So maybe I'm the minority.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #40
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
NASCAR isn't about what the car looks like. What moves them is what counts. Chevrolet engines. Ford engines. Mopar engines. The teams that build them and pit them. The skill of the drivers and the accuracy of information passed on by their spotters.
Having said that I'd love to see Camaro (ish) on the Sprint cup!
one more thing:

Go Jimmie!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #41
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Some people may agree, some might not, but Nascar is losing fans and those fans are voicing their oppinions, so what do you listen too? What your gut tells you? Or what all the people who provide your revenue and support your business tell you? I think its time for a leap of faith, whether it succeeds or fails youre still giving the fans what they want and the customer is always right. If you wanna run the cars, run the real cars, not some identical mazes of tubing with minor fake make and model designations. The competition of the series should be just as much about brand as it is driver or team.
Also i dont think the motors are brand specific anymore either. It seems anymore every team just builds their own motors from their own, or aftermarket, parts.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #42
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Being a NASCAR fan for 30+ years, I would like to see a stock (outer) spec series... use the smaller Nationwide Series COT chassis to meet the safety needs, yet skin them in model recognizable bodies made of sheet metal like they use currently -no fiberglass. Go back to using coupes, it's not the 50's -sorry, I don't consider a family sedan a race car even if the Aussies do...
The engines should be limited to what's available in the manufacturers performance parts catalogs, yet fuel injection should be the standard... no more carburetors.
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote