Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #29
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
THE ANSWER:

This was stated in another thread, and it works. I used to have the same problem. What you need to do is push the nozzle in slowly with a little force. You will feel it sort of "hook" on something when you stop applying force and it springs back a little. Once you do this, the nozzle WILL NOT shut off until the tank is full.

Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure to the vapor collector on the nozzle, it doesn't hurt anything. Just push it in, you will feel a slight hook when you release pressure. You can confirm a successful hook by wiggling it around a little. It'll feel like it's caught on something.

I forgot the exact reason for needing to do this, but I think it was a safety feature, maybe so that the nozzle doesn't go flying out when you're filling it up?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #30
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
I had this problem also, until I read where someone said to put the nozzle straight down in the spout rather than at a angle. Kind of hard to explain, but once you figure it out, you should have any more problems.
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #31
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZOTSTA24 View Post
Hey guys, I have always had a problem with filling my car up since the day I got it. It has just never bothered me enough, but I want to figure it out. Whenever I go to fill my car up, I have to stand there the entire time when the gas is going in. I can't let go of the handle because it falls to an angle and it automatically stops pumping. I don't know if something is broken inside the gas filler or what, just wanted to know if any of you have experienced this. Thanks!
Most stations don't give me this problem, but it happens at EVERY 76 station I go to. Something about how the nozzle and air recovery happens on that pump design.

I've read about other Camaro owners having the same problem.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #32
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
At least down here in NC...it's only happened to me like 2 or 3 times in the 1yr that I've had my SS and never where I normally buy my gas, only when I had to get gas elsewhere when away from home. When it has happened, I pump the gas slowly til I get a couple of gallons in, after that point I'm able to lock the handle in the high-flow rate and it fills fine after that.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #33
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
have this issue on those special spring loaded smog nozzles.

the only other issue is the financial pain.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #34
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
THE ANSWER:

This was stated in another thread, and it works. I used to have the same problem. What you need to do is push the nozzle in slowly with a little force. You will feel it sort of "hook" on something when you stop applying force and it springs back a little. Once you do this, the nozzle WILL NOT shut off until the tank is full.

Don't be afraid to apply a little pressure to the vapor collector on the nozzle, it doesn't hurt anything. Just push it in, you will feel a slight hook when you release pressure. You can confirm a successful hook by wiggling it around a little. It'll feel like it's caught on something.

I forgot the exact reason for needing to do this, but I think it was a safety feature, maybe so that the nozzle doesn't go flying out when you're filling it up?

LOL ... This just proves, it ain't what ya got, but what ya do with it that counts ...
Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #35
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
I assume with the dirty air in California that you have fuel recovery nozzles. We've had these in the St. Louis area forever............. You have to push the nozzle upward (North) while pushing it in. Once it is in, then you have to let it down (South) and backoff of it. It should hook everytime this way.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #36
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Yep, it's those huge plastic recovery nozzles. You have to really jam the nozzle down in there and get it to 'hook' just right.

It's an even bigger PITA with a motorcycle because you have to sit there and pull back that big plastic recovery piece by hand and also squeeze the lever to half so gas doesn't splash or fill too rapidly.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #37
Darth Detroit

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/2SS-Fully Loaded
You have to keep it in as far as it goes. Or it will slursh out at you. If you just put it halfway in then youre likley to get it on your hands. I like to keep my hand on mine when I know its almost ready to sploosh out. That way I can pull it out at the last minute if i had to!
Darth Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #38
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Detroit View Post
You have to keep it in as far as it goes. Or it will slursh out at you. If you just put it halfway in then youre likley to get it on your hands. I like to keep my hand on mine when I know its almost ready to sploosh out. That way I can pull it out at the last minute if i had to!

Couldn't read this with a straight face !!!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #39
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I had this problem on my 2005 Mustang almost every time I filled up. I was hoping not to have it on the Camaro, but every once in a while it happens. Its annoying.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #40
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I think ours is 18.
18 on mine, per onstar app.

This same crap happens to me but only in the gas stations in lower income communities which i live in. I have to stand and hold the hanlde until it reaches 55, 60 dollars. Never happens when im in beverly hills or Palisades.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #41
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
LOL ... This just proves, it ain't what ya got, but what ya do with it that counts ...
Oh nice, i will need to try this next time i pump.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #42
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCamaroGuy View Post
That happened to me today, I just put the nozzle in more firmly and it stayed

yup - sounds like a personal problem to me.

Stick it in firmly, wiggle it around if you have to, and don't let go till you're done. If you need to smoke afterwards, make sure its away from where you filled up. Then maybe get a snack from the fridge.

Hope this helps...
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote