Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #29
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Good story, but big mistake ... I'll give you 90 days and you'll be in that SS !!!
Good thing i drove the SS 1st then i got my car.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #30
stevea

Drives: just a car
I had a 2010 v6 and took a test drive in an SS.... That was "all she wrote for the v6"
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #31
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Get it!!!! The LS3 is an awesome experience on a daily basis!! As far as gas milage , I am getting 21.5 mpg with a mix of city/hwy driving. You only live once!!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #32
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
In all honestly I wouldn't say I was blown away, but I just felt a lot more torque than I do in my car at WOT. Normal acceleration really did not seem that drastic. LS3 is where it's all at I'm sure. But making a really dialed in auto is pretty sick though, I was very impressed.
Something to think about too.... is the classic Fuse Pull for regular gas....

These cars require premium, and most just dump regular into them.....that could explain a little bit of the acceleration feel...

I drove both cars several times long before I purchased one...and the V6 was plenty powerful, but I wanted the V8...
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #33
DMDTexAg06

Drives: 2018 2SS Convertible Nightfall Gray
Damn you.... I have been telling myself over and over the V6 is enough for now, its not that big a deal to have the V8. Then you go and write this story......why do you hate me? Yes, of course I want the V8 but I just can't afford it right now and the situation isn't right. I love my V6, don't get me wrong, but there in the back of my mind every time I look at it is that voice....."You should get the V8". It's an evil little voice and I know I'm not the only one that hears it. One day down the road, I know I'll give in.....till then, I just cant read anymore posts like this one.
DMDTexAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #34
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
I did the same thing - drove my v6 for a couple of months, then stopped in and test drove the SS. I've had other Chevrolet SS models before, and well aware of the thrust and power available in the greater horsepower engines. Yes, it did 0-60 quicker, the sound... can't deny the sound is much throatier and getting slapped back in your seat does have it's allure. However, for me, the V6 is just fine. Once I'm on the highway going 65, it's the same car.
If I wil the lottery I'll truck right on down to Appleway and buy that SG SS M6 but til then I'm happy as a clam in my V6.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #35
PlankeySS2

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS10BMX View Post
It's been 2 years since I got my 2010 Camaro 2LT automatic, and I have never driven the SS. Of course their has always been the debate of the SS being the true muscle car, and the V6 has always seemed to be frowned upon. Although I love my V6, and it has plenty of power and is really fun, I always have thoughts of wanting the V8 power...

Well today I was at the dealership cause my dad got the new 2011 2500 HD, which is a beast by the way, so I decided just to test drive a SS that was on the lot while I was there.

It was a automatic, fully loaded 2011 SS/RS, IOM, with IOM interior, and upgraded 21" wheels. Since mine is a loaded 2LT and upgraded 20" wheels the interior and luxury was no different than what I have. Heres a few things I noticed.
-HUD was awesome, it was late afternoon and sun was right in my face, and the HUD was still completely visible and wasn't blurry, very nice!
-Suspension. I could tell a very big difference in the suspension. It was a lot stiffer and harder than my car. It had a lot more of a racy feel too it which was cool though.
-Brakes. Wow, the Brembos felt awesome. I could barely tap the brake pedal and the car started to brake. Very smooth feeling.
-Engine. Even though it's the auto, I was blown away with the torque and power. At each shift it would push you back in the seat. Cruising at about 35, and going to WOT it did feel like my car for a split second, then all of a sudden it just hit a whole other level. I then put it in sport mode and that was a whole different ball game. At the light, 0-60 was in the blink of an eye.

Mid way through driving I said "Uh oh, this was a mistake!" I now have the fever, haha. I was very impressed and it was a bad aSS ride. Not to mention that crisp V8 rumble. I reached a new type of permagrin

All in all I still love my car! I do plan on getting a SS someday, and after driving one today I can't wait!

Attachment 241899
Ha....good ole Phelps...the first time I saw an SS up close was at this dealership. And it ruined me IMMEDIATELY! Had to have one.....I just PM'd you but would love to meet up sometime when I there visiting my in-laws.....
PlankeySS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #36
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Why not have both? I do!!!
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #37
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
I had first dibs on whatever 5th Gen Camaro my dealer recieved when they were released, and this is what I got...

Now if I had of ordered a car, knowing I was going to get one... Yes, I would have gotten a V8. As far as the muscle car goes, only a V8 can claim that name in my opinion.

I am plenty happy and satisfied with my car, its got a lot of power. Yet I always have the urge and always say, man I wish I had a V8, haha mom picks on me all the time cause of her Denali V8 Envoy.

I just know how some went straight for the SS, and never drove a V6. In my case all I knew was the V6 in the new Camaro, so I just wanted to finally drive one to see the differences. Like I said I'll get one someday, but can't at the moment. I don't wanna get ride of my car anyway, I'm always gonna keep it.
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #38
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
so whats your thoughts on that debate now ? hehe
the SS is a true muscle car, but I agree with the Op, Im not truly blown away by a stock SS.
I got to drive an SLP 454 and it was great, loved the sound, loved the brembos, it was an LS3 of course and it was great. However, I find that my V6 literally has enough power for the streets. If I was stuck in say a V6 chally, then I wouldnt be impressed. But both V6 and V8 varients of the Camaro are both truly impressive, the SS is more impressive though thats for sure.
Ill have a V8 someday, not an SS though. Im shooting for an LS7 or an LSX454 in my near future. While still getting my insurance rates for a 2LT/RS which is $540 a month here for a 20 year old.
The SS is great, now the craze of the ZL1 will kick in
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #39
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I think we see a another V6 to V8 defector soon.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #40
AUS10BMX

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
the SS is a true muscle car, but I agree with the Op, Im not truly blown away by a stock SS.
I got to drive an SLP 454 and it was great, loved the sound, loved the brembos, it was an LS3 of course and it was great. However, I find that my V6 literally has enough power for the streets. If I was stuck in say a V6 chally, then I wouldnt be impressed. But both V6 and V8 varients of the Camaro are both truly impressive, the SS is more impressive though thats for sure.
Ill have a V8 someday, not an SS though. Im shooting for an LS7 or an LSX454 in my near future. While still getting my insurance rates for a 2LT/RS which is $540 a month here for a 20 year old.
The SS is great, now the craze of the ZL1 will kick in
You couldn't have said it better dude! Same age as well...
AUS10BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #41
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Haven't driven the V6. I have driven both auto and manual 2SS and for my money, the manual wins hands down! No comparison...the auto is strong, but it lacked the seat of the pants feel for me that the manual launch gives. Nothing like being in total control of your beast! Now I've got to decide on 2SS or ZL1...... price point will tell the tale.
10forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #42
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
The SS auto or L99 stock does not give you the "sucked in the seat" feel. I test drove one awhile back stock and was not really impressed at all. Defenitely torquey and lazy feel but nothing like that, bam! shift, get sucked in the seat and bam! shift feel like the LS2 or LS1 used to give.

Are you sure the stock SS auto was not the supercharged version
Even the actual L99 owners say that the roller coaster "feel" is not there for stock, but modded and tuned I heard different.

Iono.. maybe everybody's "feel" are different.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote