Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #29
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
ga0358, were you ever able to find the "mystery" document?

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #30
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
is this a trick question?

the devils in the details
Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #31
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga0358 View Post
I took my car for an oil change Saturday at my dealership, and I have the GM extended protection plan. When I signed up for it, I was told that oil changes were included for the life of the car. BUT Saturday, the service guy looked at my info and says "you've got ONE more left"...I said, "no, I should have oil changes for the life of the car"- he said, "well. unless it's something that automatically renews, I don't know of any oil changes for life.

Have any of y'all run into this? Although it was 18 months ago, I distinctly remember thinking "WOW-Free oil changes for life! SIGN ME UP!"_ I guess I'll have to go back to the finance guy, who signed me up, and fight with him, The service guy told me he'd hold him while I punched him....

I have that plan...its good for 24k miles. I want to see about extending mine because I want them changing my oil during the warranty so I have an accurate record on maint. The program also includes tire rotations and topping off of all fluids. So if you are a quart low of oil just drive in and they will add a quart.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #32
SirZeusor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Always get stuff like this in writing. If you did, find that piece of paper and show it to them.

BTW, I never buy extended warranty stuff. I would be afraid to let my dealer touch my car at this point.
+1
SirZeusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #33
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Places do that however if the dealership changes owner than it's likely the free oil changes will come to an end, also remember that they will likely use the cheapest motor oil available. It's not that they want to give you free oil changes but that they'll include it as a perk to get you to buy a car from them.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #34
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
if it aint in writing, it aint happening!
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #35
Kenmecca
Mecca SS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IBM M6/ '05 Hemi Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Your dealer could not have possibly offered you oil changes for life. The Camaro has less than $1,000 markup from invoice at sticker. If you fought your dealer down to invoice, they aren't making much between the holdback and the cost of running the business—paying the salesperson, all managers, finance person, porter, and paying all building costs, like rent, gas, and electricity. Every car they sell would cost them thousands in oil changes, and they don't make the money most people think they make. Anyway, it would not make sense to even offer lifetime oil changes unless they knew when you were getting rid of the car so they could control the profit.
Not true really,
It's a loss leader for them. Your likely to do the regular sched maint with them when u get an oil change. This is where they make their biggest profit, not oil changes or selling the vehicle. it's also a way to keep you coming back so you'll buy that next car from them too.
Kenmecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #36
NFERNOSS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
If I owned a GM dealership and offered this to my customers, you can also bet that I would have it in writing that the oil change will only happen at 5% or less on the OLM.
This is exactly how it is where I work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
I got lifetime oil changes on the Camaro and my hubby's Silverado - it's a dealer thing, not a GM thing...
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Honestly, I wouldnt trust the dealer enough to put proper oil/filter in there at each change. I know GM demands a certain level, but I dont believe dealers are honest enough to care.
Wrong! Maybe your dealer does that to you, but catagorizing "ALL" dealers under this statement is just plain wrong. Most do care, the only ones you hear about are when someone bitches about how they got screwed by their dealer. Most people will more than not complain before they will give praise. Human nature.

Quote:
Your dealer could not have possibly offered you oil changes for life. The Camaro has less than $1,000 markup from invoice at sticker. If you fought your dealer down to invoice, they aren't making much between the holdback and the cost of running the business—paying the salesperson, all managers, finance person, porter, and paying all building costs, like rent, gas, and electricity. Every car they sell would cost them thousands in oil changes, and they don't make the money most people think they make. Anyway, it would not make sense to even offer lifetime oil changes unless they knew when you were getting rid of the car so they could control the profit.
For our dealership, it is mainly an advertising thing. It can actually be used as a tax write off for advertising, has nothing to do with the value of your car.
Dealership plate on the front of car, vinyl logo on rear will get you free oil changes for life if car was bought from us. Of course ya get some that have their personalized plate on the front then swap the dealer plate onto holder before they pull in for service. Dealer plate is usually riveted to holder when it leaves PDI. I personally don't have any of this crap on my car, because the MY11-12's only require Dexos for the oil, I run Mobil 1, so I buy my own oil, and I don't advertise for anyone on my vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL-Bee View Post
Places do that however if the dealership changes owner than it's likely the free oil changes will come to an end, also remember that they will likely use the cheapest motor oil available. It's not that they want to give you free oil changes but that they'll include it as a perk to get you to buy a car from them.
Seriously dude! Most dealerships that do this buy the oil in bulk, as in a 500 gallon tank. Why would a dealership go out of it's way to find some cheap-ass oil to keep in bulk just to put in the free oil change cars? No less to make enough room in parts dept for cases of cheap oil from Autozone, when they could use that space for more important inventory!
We use this program as a chance to upsell needed maintanance items, like wiper blades, tires, brakes, etc. Usually things that most normal drivers neglect to look at on their own, until it's too late.
NFERNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #37
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Honestly, I wouldnt trust the dealer enough to put proper oil/filter in there at each change. I know GM demands a certain level, but I dont believe dealers are honest enough to care.
How did you get your car go to Canada and get it off the line? Who did your auto prep?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #38
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
is this a trick question?
Filters are included with all O/Cs.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #39
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
Quote:
Sure, the dealer could make money, the only way for him to lose money is for everyone too always come back and only get the oil change and nothing else. This offer is not just for Camaros its for all new GM cars

The oil is not relay free, you would have to buy that warranty, and the life of the car would mean as long as you own the car. Plus it would be for a basic oil change 4 to 5 Qts and a standard filter. if you want 100% Synthetic and high performance filters it will cost more.

My oil change is $60.00 because I use Royal Purple. I have to buy it and put it in my trunk when I drop the car off that's my only cost.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #40
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL-Bee View Post
They use a brand name oil Synthetic blend because I asked the manager. Plus they have a banner up advertising the brand. Cant remember the brand off the top of my head but its a major brand.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #41
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
The dealer sweetened the pot for my by adding a $10.95 oil change and free tire rotation service contract for the life of my car. A new engine or transmission (out of warranty) voids the service agreement. I can't complain.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #42
shrinkdoc

I just got an oil change today and looked at the pamphlet, they offer 1,2,3,4 and 5 year plans. No lifetime. Its part of the Nationwide VCP plan which is Value Customer plan. I can go to any dealer in the country and use it. So if I drive across country I can use it a dealer there then drive back home.