Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Alky does make a very good kit. I've only used two different brands and alky was better quality for sure
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #30
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlueger View Post
I think the pitting with the maggie was caused by running 100% meth. I run meth injection with my magnason, 50/50 meth and water.
I read somewhere that water was harder on the rotors than straight meth. The claim was that the straight meth turned to vapor quickly and the meth/water mix didn't. I ran w/w fluid in MP112 and MP122 blowers for several years and thousands of miles. The only thing I could see wrong with those rotors was that they were blue. The coating on the rotors looked perfect. The rotor pics that made the rounds on the 'net looked like they had been injesting dust/sand.....not meth. I'm running straight meth on my GMC with TVS2300. Probably put 4K miles on it a month. I'll take a peek this winter and see how the rotors look.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #31
RED BARON
F1X bringing the pain!

Drives: CTS V of the Centri
Meth flashes to vapor at 70 deg vs water at 180. Pure is best as you don't want water blowing through metal like that. Meth is corrosive if it's soaked for periods of time but as as an engineer I can tell you the phase change resulting in vapor blowing through is tolerable and as previously stated, Whipple has no warnings against it as twin screws produce heat and it helps with efficiency.
RED BARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #32
RED BARON
F1X bringing the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
I read somewhere that water was harder on the rotors than straight meth. The claim was that the straight meth turned to vapor quickly and the meth/water mix didn't. I ran w/w fluid in MP112 and MP122 blowers for several years and thousands of miles. The only thing I could see wrong with those rotors was that they were blue. The coating on the rotors looked perfect. The rotor pics that made the rounds on the 'net looked like they had been injesting dust/sand.....not meth. I'm running straight meth on my GMC with TVS2300. Probably put 4K miles on it a month. I'll take a peek this winter and see how the rotors look.
You adjusting timing or just cooling?
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #33
RED BARON
F1X bringing the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Which kit did you buy?
Alky Control
Old 08-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #34
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED BARON View Post
You adjusting timing or just cooling?
It really doesn't cool much from what I can see. That's if you believe the IAT sensor. I'm in it for the octane/safety net. My motor is forged too.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #35
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED BARON View Post
Alky Control
Good choice....Julio's kit is stone cold simple and works great. It's by far the kit of choice in the GN world.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #36
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
my question to those running meth and not tuning for it is how do u deal with the methanol in the combustion chamber... it will make you run richer unless u make tweaks to the tune. And proper maintenance of the system...like anything on a car will give perfect results. My car is a street car, i have one tune... I personally would not run a car on meth unless IT WAS TUNED FOR METH. Rotor problems...this is talked about already...flash point of 70* and its vapor. No rotor damage. For those injecting water into their motors I have a question. Why? You are displacing room in the combustion chamber that either more air or fuel could be taking up. Water will not help you even when its in a water/meth mixture. But the most important part of this discussion is whether your tuner is comfortable using meth on a car. Some are some aren't. Do as your tuner suggests or find another tuner. Just a few things for people to think about and or discuss.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:44 AM   #37
2SS\RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
This is great!! Thank you all for all the info! I just want to take my car off 100 octane gas so I was thinking of 91 octane + meth.
2SS\RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #38
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedyards86 View Post
my question to those running meth and not tuning for it is how do u deal with the methanol in the combustion chamber... it will make you run richer unless u make tweaks to the tune. And proper maintenance of the system...like anything on a car will give perfect results. My car is a street car, i have one tune... I personally would not run a car on meth unless IT WAS TUNED FOR METH. Rotor problems...this is talked about already...flash point of 70* and its vapor. No rotor damage. For those injecting water into their motors I have a question. Why? You are displacing room in the combustion chamber that either more air or fuel could be taking up. Water will not help you even when its in a water/meth mixture. But the most important part of this discussion is whether your tuner is comfortable using meth on a car. Some are some aren't. Do as your tuner suggests or find another tuner. Just a few things for people to think about and or discuss.

What do you mean by water will not help you?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #39
MRGOODWRENCH3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have installed many Snow Performance Methanol kits with Magnuson Superchargers. You can call snow and they will tell you about the testing they have done. No negative results.
MRGOODWRENCH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #40
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
I'm going to be installing a Snow Performance Stage III kit soon, all of these comments scare me a bit. My number 1 reason for installing the meth kit is to cool down my IAT. I don't really care too much for more HP and hope that I can get some more pop on plain lower IAT and high octane created by using the meth. I'm going to try and use the 49\51 boost juice with my Maggie. Does anyone out there only use or turn on the meth when they want to drive the car hard or for racing conditions? What do you think of adding the kit and no tune to?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #41
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
You could go post blower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS\RS View Post
Do you mind explaining a little? I guess i just don't understand.

a Post Blower.... that sounds kinda dirty
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #42
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
I'm going to be installing a Snow Performance Stage III kit soon, all of these comments scare me a bit. My number 1 reason for installing the meth kit is to cool down my IAT. I don't really care too much for more HP and hope that I can get some more pop on plain lower IAT and high octane created by using the meth. I'm going to try and use the 49\51 boost juice with my Maggie. Does anyone out there only use or turn on the meth when they want to drive the car hard or for racing conditions? What do you think of adding the kit and no tune to?
Curious about this as well.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote