Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHitman23 View Post
I have already began my play and the pay. This will be my daily driver for a little bit. That is why that I am not going into the 800's + club. I will be doing most of the same supporting mods as you in the future. My clutch is already done and now I am working out axles and etc. If I know that its going to break, then I don't want to speed up the process. This is a fun project all the way around. Just trying to be smart about the build. I will look into the mixtures you have presented. Also I have seen E85 work really well. Not really the way for me, since E85 is not close to where I live.
I will tell you this. If you plan to supercharge focus your time, energy and resources first on the engine. Axles, brakes, driveshaft are all the least of your problems if they break.

BullF-16; is able to do what he's doing because he changed everything in his heads. When something breaks it's because of limited tolerances when you make a 400hp. engine into an 800hp engine. Issues with heat or knocking with a ProCharger is highly unlikely. So, using meth, race fuels, and high octane gas is an added bonus to cool things down, but not the major cause of concern.

The hollow stem valves, crappy springs, lifters, rocker trunnions, those will all break at some point regardless of how much meth you use. So, replace them with good quality "solid" parts, keep things around 600rwhp. and your good.

If you want more than that, then I'd say start looking at all the other stuff (meth. et al.), but all the pulls my shop has done on the dyno (well over 300 with their ProCharger), has shown IAT, and engine temps are not an issue with the ProCharger as they are with the roots style superchargers.

Meth is good for added insurance that something may not go wrong, but solid parts that won't break is a guarantee it won't go wrong, because with a ProCharger the parts will break before you encounter any issues with heat. On my LSX-426, I don't use any meth, and my IAT's, and engine temps are always within very safe levels, and I'm killing it on the highway, not just a few 10sec. runs on a drag strip.

Last edited by calbert1999; 03-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
LDHitman23

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Thanks for the info. I will def keep everything in mind. I'm very sorry if dumb questions have been asked. Still learning and will always be learning till I rest.
Texas Speed LT Headers (no cats), LS3 Monster blower cam, Muffler Delete, Stage 3 Spec 3 Clutch,102mm F.A.S.T Intake Manifold, Comp Cam Push Rods, Comp Cam Dual Springs, D1-SC Procharger, ID850cc Injectors, Stealth Fuel Pump, F.A.S.T Fuel Rails, Tune by Brett Seaburg, Nitto Street Radials, Amber Halos and Fog Lights, Window Tint (5%) Nightshade Tail Lights, Interior Amber Dome Light and Trunk.

LDHitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #31
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I will def keep everything in mind. I'm very sorry if dumb questions have been asked. Still learning and will always be learning till I rest.
The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.
We're here to exchange the knowledge, it's up to you how you want to apply it.

You'll notice everyone does things a little differently, and that usually means there are some differences in our setups. For example BullF-16 may need meth because of his tune, or fuel mixture, et al. Where as my setup I never have any heat issues so no change of knocking.

I'm always more concerned with the cheap GM parts, than I am with the tune. My tuner is awesome, but if you don't know something about the parts, that's the first area that will get you. One good example is the hollow stem valves, most people did not know you need to change those out for solid stainless for 800+hp. setups because they simply are not guaranteed to hold up, and will eventually bend.

If you search you'll find this quite easily now, but previously most installers did not know this, and a lot of engines went to the scrap yard. LOL

So having good, reliable quality parts is #1, a solid tuner goes along with that and everything else is #2 in my book.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #32
LDHitman23

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.
We're here to exchange the knowledge, it's up to you how you want to apply it.

You'll notice everyone does things a little differently, and that usually means there are some differences in our setups. For example BullF-16 may need meth because of his tune, or fuel mixture, et al. Where as my setup I never have any heat issues so no change of knocking.

I'm always more concerned with the cheap GM parts, than I am with the tune. My tuner is awesome, but if you don't know something about the parts, that's the first area that will get you. One good example is the hollow stem valves, most people did not know you need to change those out for solid stainless for 800+hp. setups because they simply are not guaranteed to hold up, and will eventually bend.

If you search you'll find this quite easily now, but previously most installers did not know this, and a lot of engines went to the scrap yard. LOL

So having good, reliable quality parts is #1, a solid tuner goes along with that and everything else is #2 in my book.
I will keep all this in mind. Like I said, I will not be going to that 800+ range. That is money that I do not have to spend on a car. 650 sounds good to me for a street car and plus a daily. I am just excited that the man upstairs is allowing me to do this. Do you have anything else going into your build calbert or are you done?
Texas Speed LT Headers (no cats), LS3 Monster blower cam, Muffler Delete, Stage 3 Spec 3 Clutch,102mm F.A.S.T Intake Manifold, Comp Cam Push Rods, Comp Cam Dual Springs, D1-SC Procharger, ID850cc Injectors, Stealth Fuel Pump, F.A.S.T Fuel Rails, Tune by Brett Seaburg, Nitto Street Radials, Amber Halos and Fog Lights, Window Tint (5%) Nightshade Tail Lights, Interior Amber Dome Light and Trunk.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #33
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
I will keep all this in mind. Like I said, I will not be going to that 800+ range. That is money that I do not have to spend on a car. 650 sounds good to me for a street car and plus a daily. I am just excited that the man upstairs is allowing me to do this. Do you have anything else going into your build calbert or are you done?
For now just want to get some data logs going, and get things dialed in better once the weather changes, then I'll see where things are in relation to the engine.
The thing with tuning is; You're never done tuning.
The next step will be tires, and then 9" rears so I can pulley down and add some more power, eventually may have to rebuild the transmission too if I increase power.

Last edited by calbert1999; 03-08-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #34
LDHitman23

Speaking of the weather, what is the weather like up there this time of year. We just have a nice shower and getting ready for more low temps.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Speaking of the weather, what is the weather like up there this time of year. We just have a nice shower and getting ready for more low temps.
Don't believe all the nonsense people say about the weather in Canada. You'd school them if you ever visited.

No snow all winter, and yesterday we had summertime temperatures, today it's raining.

For March break most Canadians in this part of Ontario are going to New York for skiing.

I've been driving my SS for the past week, and all winter I've seen Camaro's and Corvettes on the road.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #36
LDHitman23

Quote:
Don't believe all the nonsense people say about the weather in Canada. You'd school them if you ever visited.

No snow all winter, and yesterday we had summertime temperatures, today it's raining.

For March break most Canadians in this part of Ontario are going to New York for skiing.

I've been driving my SS for the past week, and all winter I've seen Camaro's and Corvettes on the road.
Man that is pretty awesome. I work with a guy that is from Canada, and he has nothing but good things to say about that place. You guys have a drag stripe up there correct?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #37
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

We've got everything you guys have down there man. LOL

I have two tracks I can go to and those are just the ones I know about because I'm a newbie at the drag scene.

Canada is awesome man, the only thing we complain about is high taxes and waits at the doctors office, because of free healthcare for everybody, people go to the doctors office for the dumbest stuff. LOL
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #38
LDHitman23

Haha just like life man. There's pros and cons. How have you done at the track?
I wish that we had free healthcare here, but I know that people would abuse that privilage.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #39
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Wish I had the money for one :(
Old 03-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #40
LDHitman23

Haha you think that I do lol. Man I have been saving for a little bit to get this. I probably be putting this money to mods that you have Ject. Such as suspension and sways.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #41
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Haha just like life man. There's pros and cons. How have you done at the track?
I wish that we had free healthcare here, but I know that people would abuse that privilage.
Education and Healthcare is in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

A sick nation may appear strong with weapons but if the morality is low, intellect is substandard, and citizens are un-healthy things just look good on the surface, but if you dig deeper eventually you'll start to notice everything is starting to decay. No matter where you go in Canada we pride ourselves on up-keep bro' and international respect. Human life (health) is #1 here, and everything else on the world stage is secondary. That's why our taxes are high, but our quality of life is just as high so I guess it's a balance that many other places don't have.

I always say if your health isn't good, nothing else will be. You have to be in good health to work, take care of family, and enjoy quality of life. I don't know too many sick people that are happy.

Last year before I got to track I had to get a new engine , so this year I'll get out and do a few runs. However, I'm not really interested in drag racing, I want to film my road courses laps / results, take lessons and improve overall driving of this 4k/lb. monster car. That's going to be my mid-life crisis hobby along with some other fun stuff.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #42
LDHitman23

Quote:
Education and Healthcare is in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

A sick nation may appear strong with weapons but if the morality is low, intellect is substandard, and citizens are un-healthy things just look good on the surface, but if you dig deeper eventually you'll start to notice everything is starting to decay. No matter where you go in Canada we pride ourselves on up-keep bro' and international respect. Human life (health) is #1 here, and everything else on the world stage is secondary. That's why our taxes are high, but our quality of life is just as high so I guess it's a balance that many other places don't have.

I always say if your health isn't good, nothing else will be. You have to be in good health to work, take care of family, and enjoy quality of life. I don't know too many sick people that are happy.

Last year before I got to track I had to get a new engine , so this year I'll get out and do a few runs. However, I'm not really interested in drag racing, I want to film my road courses laps / results, take lessons and improve overall driving of this 4k/lb. monster car. That's going to be my mid-life crisis hobby along with some other fun stuff.
That's awesome man. I told hear you on the health issue. That is how I am, just wish that it didn't cost an arm and a leg to go to the doctor now a days. Thank God that I don't have many sickness. Most of the time I just need rest and I am good after a couple of days.
I'm sorry about the motor issue. I am glad that you are up and runnin again. When you get on the courses, please post some videos. I would like to see that beast in action.