Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #29
SSdude

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
It may have appeared that by revving you were trying to show off or incite a street race, so maybe he was showing disapproval of the perceived activity. Just a guess. Most people with any of the retro muscle cars have at least some basic respect for the others.
I was going in the opposite direction (first post) so street race intimidation is ruled out. As for revving I was completely idle and already stationary at the light when he approached the light. I never rev at lights however nice the other ride might be exactly for the reason that you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10 View Post
Diverters are the sh*t for situations like this.
You can say that again.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHasCamaro View Post
Actually I get a lot of compliments from gas station attendants now. Never got anything but grief from most of them if they bothered to say anything about my Evo. It was normally some insult about Japanese cars in general, and they had no idea that my Evo was quite different than a riced out Honda.
You've got gas station attendants???? I haven't seen one for at least 30 or 40 years.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #31
SSdude

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
You've got gas station attendants???? I haven't seen one for at least 30 or 40 years.
Gas station attendants are mandatory here in NJ too.
Excerpt from the Wiki
-------------------------------------------------------------------
All stations in New Jersey and Oregon offer only full service and mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners. Proponents of the ban cite safety and jobs as reasons to keep the ban.Likewise, the 1951 Oregon statute banning self-service gasoline lists 17 different justifications, including the flammability of gas, the risk of crime from customers leaving their car, the toxic fumes emitted by gasoline, and the jobs created by requiring mini service. In addition, the ban on self-service gasoline is seen as part of Oregonian culture. One commentator noted, "The joke is when babies are born in Oregon, the doctor slaps their bottom, ‘No self-serve and no sales tax’ .It's as much a cultural issue as an economic issue. It's a way of life." In 1982, Oregon voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #32
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSdude View Post
Gas station attendants are mandatory here in NJ too.
Excerpt from the Wiki
All stations in New Jersey and Oregon offer only full service and mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners. Proponents of the ban cite safety and jobs as reasons to keep the ban.Likewise, the 1951 Oregon statute banning self-service gasoline lists 17 different justifications, including the flammability of gas, the risk of crime from customers leaving their car, the toxic fumes emitted by gasoline, and the jobs created by requiring mini service. In addition, the ban on self-service gasoline is seen as part of Oregonian culture. One commentator noted, "The joke is when babies are born in Oregon, the doctor slaps their bottom, ‘No self-serve and no sales tax’ .It's as much a cultural issue as an economic issue. It's a way of life." In 1982, Oregon voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot. When we lived in Seattle we would occasionally go to Cannon Beach Oregon for a long weekend. It's a truly beautiful place IF you can hit a weekend that isn't raining. I used to fill the car up before leaving Washington and hope to avoid buying gas in Oregon so someone wouldn't miss the hole or slop gas on my car, so I didn't experience it often.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #33
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlack View Post
He's driving a CHRYSLER product. Enough said.
This.

ignore him and people like him. Some people have no capacity to make good judgement in anything, that includes buying cars. (also, my grammar in this sentence is HORRIBLE. )
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #34
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
It's illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #35
GlowingBurrito

Drives: 2012 Camaro SIM 1SS L99
I had someone in an S2000 give me a thumbs down a couple weekends ago. We were coming to a red light and he made a turn. Was the same weekend I got my headers installed too.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #36
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I can not remember a challanger owner that actually made eye contact with me while driving my camaro. Funny thing, they react differently when I see them and I am driving my 2011 chevy cruze!!

Maybe they are just more confident they can beat the Cruze off the line

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Best reaction to that kind of unwarranted behavior?

Smile, nod, and a little laugh. Act as if he just made a little joke. You'll feel better and he'll feel worse that his 'insult' seemingly made you happy.

*You're* driving a great car -- why care about the 'approval' of some loser.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #38
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
As for waving......

Around here, with tinted windows on most cars, it's hard to tell if the other diver is waving, or flipping the bird, when they're in a Camaro, Mustang, whatever. So, I don't really pay much attention.

NEVER had anyone in a Mustang, Challenger or Charger even make eye contact at the gas station, store or other public places.

That's where the punks in the "foreign" cars with the non-stock exhausts think they will impress me by rev'n their (tiny) engines.

And back to the Challenger. It didn't do it for me then (that 70's boat) and it doesn't do it for me now. At any price.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #39
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
OP, at least he didn't flip you the bird.......... LOL

Can't say I have ever gotten a reaction from any Dodge drivers around here and all the Stang owners want to do is race...sorry... not interested
Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #40
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
I've had very little vehicle to vehicle communication with other "muscle cars". I park next to this guy with a black challenger when I go to class. We have the same last class and leave at the same time every week. We practically bump arms and he has never even opened the floor for conversation. He gets in his car quickly and sits there until I pull off.... kinda lame that others don't feel the same way about their vehicles.

Another time on the way home this guy pulled beside me with a gangster looking Synergy Green 5th Gen. I gave him the thumbs up and he shelled up like a turtle, looked straight ahead and acted like he didn't see me. My windows were down so no excuses.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #41
Mister-Camaro

Drives: 2011 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
Most of the challengers I've seen just do their best to pretend to not notice me. Not sure why.
They're scared
Mister-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #42
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Interesting story that happened just a couple hours ago. I had my camaro in town driving across a bridge. Nice day, cruising the speed limit which was 35 mph with the windows down. I heard this car coming up behind me. Sounded pretty strong.

Looked in the rear view mirror and there as a Gen 2 camaro flying up behind me. He got next to me and blew by. The owner was a younger kid, mid to late 20's I would guess. It was a sweet car. I am not a huge Gen 2 fan but this was a very clean car and sounded sweet. He had 383 custom badges on the side so obviously it was a custom built car.

Anyway, he blows by me and looks over and give me a PI$$ on you look as he goes by. I did not do anything, just laughed a bit and thought, wonder how many stock SS's or V-6 models he had done this to. ANyway, the kid starts to slow down and as I pull up next to him, he is still giving me the "LOOK". He had his window down so I wait until his window is right even with my rear end.

Well, At 35 mph cruising rpms, my car is flat out quiet as its generally in 4th gear at this speed. Anyway, pulled the A6 back into S mode and when his window got even with my rear end, I mashed it. Now with 3.91 gears and the maggie, all traction is lost in the rear end because you instantly drop to 1st gear and around 5K rpms and it sounds like all hell breaks loose when your behind the car.

My rear end breaks loose and then I let up a bit, the trans shifts into 2nd and I get on it again and launch hard this time. Only hit around 50 mph, I know, broke the law but shot her down right away, no racing at all.

So the kid comes up beside me but now he gives me a double thumbs up as he goes by.

When we got across the bridge I pull into a gas station to fill up my camaro. The kid pulls in behind me and comes up and we talked about both cars for about 20 minutes. He had refurbished his car with his Dads help and also built the 383 stroker which was putting out 450 HP with a 4.11 posi rear end.

he said he had never come up to a new camaro SS that could run with him. I told him that not all newer camaros were stock!!! He asked if he could see under the hood and of course I was fine with that. Once he saw what I was hidding he was all excited about hearing all about the car.

He really was a good kid, just a car nut like all of us but with the attitude of a young kid that has not yet decided he does not have to challange everyone he comes up against on the street.

It was good to see a kid that had put alot of time and his own money into his car and had great pride in it and better yet, spent many, MANY hours with his Dad working on the car. IF that happened more these days, I think many of our countries problems would be no more!!!

Anyway, it was a good day in the camaro. There good guys out there!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote