Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #29
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have known people who did not like air blowing on them or like cold air on their feet. So they select the defrost setting and that is where they leave it. Defrost turns on the AC for moisture reduction. Thus every time you start the car the AC comes on.
My Max setting does nothing. I also get warm air out of the vents even on cool setting (ac is not on) when the outside temp is 45 degrees. Seems like a damper problem. I replaced all the led's in the panel though, so will have to see if the dealer will look at it.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #30
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAL300 View Post
Why does the a/c come on when all I am doing is turning on the fan? How do I stop this from happening?
Read your Owner's Manual!!!!

If your AC doesn't operate per the manual - take to your dealer.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #31
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi MrAl300,

Please keep us posted on your dealership visit! I hope they will be able to pin-point this issue for you.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAL300 View Post
A/C is off when I turn off the engine. When I get in the car later and start the engine and turn on the fan, the a/c automatically turns on. I am bringing it to the dealer next week so they can check it.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #32
Bigcros

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
oh and the A/C sucks in it! I mean does it cool down the car? yes on max A/C with fan speed of 6 or more. I think it might be low from them replacing the compressor.
It'd be better if it had actual climate control instead of just pumping out whatever
Bigcros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #33

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Not sure if this helps...My a/c comes on every time if that's where I left it....As far as "Max a/c" from what I recall, it's not meant to be left in that spot continuously...Its only to get things cooled down quicker for your comfort than having it in non max mode...perhaps this is the setting that does not come after over=night....Not sure if any of this makes any sense....lol...

Also, the dealer can reprogram the a/c....mine used to quit working completely, then at times, I swear, it would actually throw ice...lol...Dealer reprogrammed it all good and plenty cold....It does take longer to cool off if your interior is very hot to begin with...the upholstery retains heat that the a/c must overcome as well....Good luck to all....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #34
MrAL300

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue
My car was at the dealership service center for an entire week. During this time they were in contact with GM while attempting to resolve the issue. The following tasks were performed:
1) update computer software
2) replace HVAC controller module/unit
3) replace climate control / radio faceplate

None of these were able to solve the problem. GM feels this may be a design feature. They are doing additional research to determine if the software is designed to make the a/c come on automatically the first time the fan is used after starting the car, but then not come on again automatically for several hours. I hope that regardless of what they determine, they should at least offer a voluntary computer update to disable this feature. I will provide an update here when/if I learn anything more.
MrAL300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #35
MrAL300

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS Blue
The field engineer was not able to determine the cause or find a way to fix it. He doesn't know why it is happening but he doesn't think it should happen. He took lots of data from the computer and will send it to GM Engineering for analysis. It is interesting to note that the engineer determined that if this fan is turned on before starting the car then the a/c will not come on unless the a/c button is pressed. This is very interesting. It's not a solution but it's a work-around I can live with.
MrAL300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #36
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
mine does the same thing. Remembers the last setting if its been a few hours, but overnight, it seems to forget that the A/C was on
Mine also. It's been that way since new, but isn't a big deal to me.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #37
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
I've actually never used it that high. Even at the hottest temps so far this summer I roll down the windows to get hot air outta the cabin and then turn the AC on a little.

Glad you asked this question though, now I know what "max AC" does!
I live in Florida and I do this with my Camaro
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote