Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
Mil

Drives: 2013 Victory Red w/ automatic #671
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Mine is an auto.

I took my car to the dealership this morning and the service manager drove it while I was riding with him. He heard what I was describing along with the tire noise and said he doubted they could make any improvement in it. Pretty much what I suspected. They alway equate higher noise levels to a higher performance car, and he mentioned the larger ring and pinion gear vs. the SS implying it could contibute to the noise.
Auto here, and I don't hear what you guys are hearing ??
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #30
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil View Post
Auto here, and I don't hear what you guys are hearing ??
That's good news.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
gtp6515

Drives: G8 GT
Did a diff swap into my g8 and it makes some noise. May be the pfadt bushings.
gtp6515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #32
DangerZL1

Bushings wouldn't change the whining noise of a improperly setup ring and pinion gear. I'd think it would remain the same.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #33
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Anybody else noticing rear end gear whine? I thought mine was initially tire noise, but on decelleration from 50ish down to low 40 MPH I'm noticing a whining sound that goes away when I give it gas. So I'm pretty sure omit isn't tires. I really hate to take it in for this, but it's in a speed range that I'm driving in constantly.
I've got the same thing. Barely noticeable, I don't hear it unless I'm thinking about it. Radio on it's "gone". Mines and auto and I've changed the fluid. This type of whine is usually caused by the setup of the ring and pinion gears. Not much that can be done once the noise is "established" and the wear pattern is set. Resetting the gears usually just moves the whine to another speed range. New gears may cure it if the mechanic installs them perfectly. A new diff from GM may or may not cure it. GM replaced the diff in my '04 GTO at 14,000 miles due to whine. The whine was back at 40,000 miles. Not bad but it was there same as before. My Land Cruiser has had a bit of gear whine since 45,000 miles. It's just on decelleration from 64-47. The Cruiser now has 340,000+ miles on it. The whine hasn't gotten any worse. I'm not worried about the slight whine on the ZL1. If it gets worse I'll get it cured before the warranty expires. 'Till then I'll listen to the other sweet sounds!
Under Hood - Painted strut bar ends w/custom Polished Stainless mounting hardware, E2 CC, RotoFab CAI, ZL1 underhood decal, Amsoil oil, Black billet strut covers, Metco pulleys, intercooler reservoir, JRE 75 RWHP package.
Chassis - Hawk ceramic brake pads, ZL1 wheel decals, Amsoil fluids
Interior - A pillar gauge pod w/Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, Polished ZL1 speaker rings, ZL1 mats and console lid, Custom GPS mount
Exterior - 3M clear bra, LED driving lights, PIAA Plasma Ion yellow fog lights, Window tint, CF bowties, Technostalgia sequential tail lights

1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #34
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
I've got the same thing. Barely noticeable, I don't hear it unless I'm thinking about it. Radio on it's "gone". Mines and auto and I've changed the fluid. This type of whine is usually caused by the setup of the ring and pinion gears. Not much that can be done once the noise is "established" and the wear pattern is set. Resetting the gears usually just moves the whine to another speed range. New gears may cure it if the mechanic installs them perfectly. A new diff from GM may or may not cure it. GM replaced the diff in my '04 GTO at 14,000 miles due to whine. The whine was back at 40,000 miles. Not bad but it was there same as before. My Land Cruiser has had a bit of gear whine since 45,000 miles. It's just on decelleration from 64-47. The Cruiser now has 340,000+ miles on it. The whine hasn't gotten any worse. I'm not worried about the slight whine on the ZL1. If it gets worse I'll get it cured before the warranty expires. 'Till then I'll listen to the other sweet sounds!
...gotcha, understood, tell me about how many miles you have on yours now and i'll give you some feedback about what I went though on mine....
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #35
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
13 miles shy of 13,000
Under Hood - Painted strut bar ends w/custom Polished Stainless mounting hardware, E2 CC, RotoFab CAI, ZL1 underhood decal, Amsoil oil, Black billet strut covers, Metco pulleys, intercooler reservoir, JRE 75 RWHP package.
Chassis - Hawk ceramic brake pads, ZL1 wheel decals, Amsoil fluids
Interior - A pillar gauge pod w/Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, Polished ZL1 speaker rings, ZL1 mats and console lid, Custom GPS mount
Exterior - 3M clear bra, LED driving lights, PIAA Plasma Ion yellow fog lights, Window tint, CF bowties, Technostalgia sequential tail lights

1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #36
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...I had the associated improper lash set up noise with mine, a M6, shouldn't matter either with a A6 or M6. It was pronounced early on, low speed turning chatter and clatter, decel whine at mid speed...definitely sounded like the clutches had a lubrication problem and/or needed to be broke in, and the backlash, pinion depth or ring rear setup was not done properly. In other words, it made alot of hellish noise. Over time, it quieted down significantly. It still has some noise on decel at different RPM's. At 1,350 miles the noise frequecies are less now than earlier on, and not as noticable. I attribute it to the angle of the gears and associated driveline parts for the enhancement of performance designed for harder service life expectations. They whine and make for much interior cabin noise, such as in track cars driven by pro circuits. Don't forget the rear axle is specific to the ZL1 and no other model. It's made for durabiltity, not quiteness and therefore it will haqve inherent noise due to the engineering involved with it. I recall old time M-22 transmissions, they had a gear cut that was not off set, it was square, for durability and performance, and it was noisey.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #37
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I hear it. I am considering sending to dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #38
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIminiS10 View Post
Mine is actually the opposite. I have noticed if I am cruising around 70 in 6th gear at light throttle to just keep speed; there is a high pitch whine from the rear. If you roll into the throttle harder or let off, it disappears. It is actually rather annoying cruising down the highway. My '10 SS did not do this at all.
I have the same experience. As others said radio on and you can't hear it. For me it is not a big deal. The manual trans in my 2010 SS was noisier than the one in my ZL1.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #39
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Been to the dealer twice, first time swapped the ring and pinion because the backlash was off. The noise was quieter but did not go away. The second time they cleaned it really well (lashing compound)? and it has been quiet ever since. Mine as an auto.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #40
petetcs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 victory red
my 2013 z going to the dealer on wed to change the gear oil hope it will take away the problem
petetcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #41
DangerZL1

I wouldn't count on the gear oil fixing any whining noise from the diff. It will correct any clutch issues though and isn't a bad idea. I had mine changed using GM fluid at a lube place here around 1000 miles while I watched.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #42
BeardWS6

Drives: 01 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
Use Lucas non synthetic gear oil 85w 140.... Problem fixed...
I need to try that! Where could I get it and do we need to change the seals changing rear fluid types? The reason I ask, my local dealership changed it and had to replace the seals since they changed fluids. This is what they told me. Still makes the noise though, they said give it 500 miles and should stop, ya right... Still makes it.