Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #29
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Engine

Capital achievement: As of late 2010, Lingenfelter’s stout ’10 Camaro has run a best quart
6.2L (376CI) LS3 (Manual Trans)
The LS3 is factory rated at 426 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque for manual trans cars. Currently this is the preferred combo for serious performance upgrades, as it does not have variable camshaft timing (VCT) or active fuel management (AFM or cylinder deactivation).

Lifter pump-up (7,000-plus rpm): Replace with short-travel Comp Cams lifters, which require either adjustable rockers or carefully selected pushrod lengths.

Timing chain tensioner fails (550 hp): Install a Comp or JP Performance billet timing set.

Oiling needs help (road-racing or stroker engines): LS engine oil pumps bypass too much oil, plus poor oil drain-back and foaming is a serious problem over 6,500 rpm. Go to a modified aftermarket oiling system and pan. For road racing, consider an ARE dry-sump.

Can’t spin this one: Don’t expect the stock balancer to last at high rpm or with big strok
Rods break (600 hp): Stock powdered-metal rods may break at the beam. Use forged rods.

Head gasket problems (600 hp): Upgrade to aftermarket MLS gaskets and ARP fasteners.

Pistons fail (600-625 hp, detonation and/or excessive boost): Replace the stock hypereutectics with forged pistons.

Crank good to go (900-plus horsepower): LPE turbo engines make more than 900 hp on stock nodular iron cranks.

Exhaust valves (over 10 psi boost): At this point, LPE swaps the stock LS3 exhaust valves with more durable Inconel or sodium-filled ones.

Fuel system upgrade (various): Install larger injectors at 450 to 475 hp. For over 6 psi boost or 500 hp, use a voltage booster. Upgrade the stock pulse-width-modulated nonreturn fuel pump at 575 to 620 hp. Livernois and LPE have dual-pump systems adequate through 750 to 800 hp. Beyond that use dual or triple high-capacity pumps and a return-style fuel system.

Lost its bearings: Pushrod deflection from big cams and increased spring pressures causes
6.2L (376 CI) L99 (Auto Trans)
The 400hp/410-lb-ft L99 is used in V8 Camaros with an automatic. With both VCT and AFM, it's harder to modify in stock form. Short-block problems are similar to the LS3.

AFM problems (450 hp, 0.500-inch-lift cams, or high rpm): Half the lifters and their corresponding cam lobes are unique. Comp and LPE offer AFM-style cams, but they're limited to 0.500-lift because the special lifters don't work with a reduced base circle. If you raise the rev limiter beyond the L99's 6,200-rpm limit and then run up against it, Jannetty Racing says the AFM lifters will fail. Best option: Reprogram the ECU to delete AFM, then install a conventional cam and lifters.

VCT phaser woes: Valve-to-piston contact can occur with bigger cams from too much advance. Comp Cams has a phaser limit kit that allows aggressive cam profiles with up to 220 degrees duration at 0.050. Above this, either: increase intake centerline 2 degrees for every 4-degree duration increase, change pistons, or delete VCT; the latter requires installing a LS3 front cover and a conventional timing set.

Valve float: L99s don't have the LS3's hollow-stem intake valves. When switching to high-lift cams, LPE recommends installing lighter LS3 intake valves.

Transmission

Break-fast: The mainshaft on about 10 percent of TR-6060-equipped Camaros produced within
6L80 Six-Speed Automatic
This new-gen GM trans is so sophisticated that it has a separate computer (TCM or transmission control module). Incorrect TCM tuning causes more problems than hard-parts failures.

TCM calibration: Reprogramming is required when changing engine rpm range, shift points, or rearend gear ratio. A significant power change increases engine acceleration rate, which changes the amount of trans slip; both impact when the shift needs to occur compared with when the TCM calculates it should occur. HPTuners has reprogramming software.

TAPshift lag: When enabled, on-demand manual gear changes are made via steering wheel paddles. TAPshift permits holding a specific gear around a road course without fear that the trans might upshift or downshift during a turn and destabilize the car. It also works well for a burnout, but input lag creates straight-line acceleration issues; for drag racing, reprogram to upshift automatically at a desired shift rpm.

Torque management damage: Disabling torque management completely can cause failures. LPE says, "With a clutch-to-clutch trans like the 6L80, some torque management is needed to reduce the torque momentarily and allow time for the clutch for the desired gear to engage."

Torque converter (500-plus horsepower): LPE reports zero failures, IPS is confident through 500 hp, and Livernois says it has "a stock converter in a '10 Camaro that makes over 750 hp with close to 100 quarter-mile runs along with street driving." Precision Industries, TCI, Yank, and others sell high-stall converters. A triple-disc converter and custom trans tuning will ensure the converter stays locked up in Overdrive even on high-power mills.

Tooth decay: Missed shifts can damage synchro blocker rings and the main-gear clutch-engag
Hard-parts failures (over 575 hp): With correct programming, Livernois and others report minimal internal hard-parts failures through 575 to 600 hp. Rossler builds beefed 6L80s. It says the 3-5 reverse clutch usually fails first, followed by the 4-5-6 clutch: "We add more clutches, machine special steels, and use better materials." Fully built Rossler 6L80s have withstood 1,000 hp on a chassis dyno; 750 hp is more realistic for long-term street durability.

TTC TR-6060 Six-Speed Manual
Like stick-shift Dodges and Shelby Mustangs, V8 Camaros use TTC TR-6060 six-speeds. Enabling GM's launch control feature can minimize the chances of trans or rearend failure. RPM Transmissions' fully blueprinted Level 6 TR-6060 can handle more than 1,000 hp.

Mainshaft breaks (random): On some early production '10 Camaros, the mainshaft can fail ahead of the output splines due to an overly large machining radius. Although 475 hp is probably the critical risk point, RPM says it can sometimes "fail bone stock, even with factory-original tires." GM's fix is a redesigned chamfer, improved metallurgy, and a different heat treat. The new 'shaft can be retrofitted, but that requires a complete teardown. Reference GM service bulletin PIP4666.

Rear support bearing upgrade (650-680 hp): Unlike some other TR-6060s, the Camaro version lacks a rear support bearing. The Camaro extension housing is machined for the bearing, but it is not factory installed. Livernois advises adding the bearing over 650 hp. The bearing, plus an improved 9310-steel mainshaft machined for it, is sold as a kit from RPM Transmissions and The Driveshaft Shop.

Synchro blocker ring (525 to 625 hp and/or abuse): Early production has brass rings, while later has carbonized rings. Carbon is more forgiving, but brass rings are stronger if you're a hot shoe.

Clutch problems (600 hp): Although SAM maintains that "bone-stock power will take the clutch out running on sticky tires—even a drag radial," most other sources say serious clutch problems start around the 600hp to 650hp level. Upgrade as appropriate to aftermarket clutches. LPE runs a triple-disc RPS carbon clutch in its 1,240hp drag car.

Hydraulic clutch actuation issues: IPS has seen soft clutch engagement and difficulty getting the car in gear after multiple dragstrip passes. Apparently heat buildup causes a clutch fluid viscosity breakdown. Bleed the system often and use a higher-quality clutch fluid.

IRS and Driveshaft

Kicked in the ass: On its third dragstrip launch running Hoosier slicks, this aftermarket
The V8 Camaro's IRS (independent rear suspension) has 218mm (8.58-inch) rear gears and a clutch-type limited-slip diff. The gears are unique. Stock ratios are 3.27 or 3.45:1; Richmond has 3.70 and 4.10:1 ratios. The current stock rear is marginal for serious high-perf use.

Rear suspension flex (450 hp): IPS reports toe-arm failures as low as 25 to 50 hp over stock. Pfadt has stiffeners; BMR offers adjustable units. Excessive wheelhop can damage the rear trailing arms, contributing to differential problems (Pfadt and LPE have upgrades). Hotchkis sells a Chassis Max Brace to control unwanted suspension movement.

Rear subframe flex (475 hp): The stock subframe bushings allow excess cradle movement, causing lost power and bad traction. Replace with solid or polyurethane bushings for better rear-cradle durability and improved handling. Pfadt is one source.

Gears fail (500-plus horsepower): Only a three-series Posi carrier is available, so the pinion gets really small as gear ratio increases. Tire type and driving style influence longevity big time.

Halfshafts break (wheelhop, 500 to 600 hp): The more severe the wheelhop, the sooner the drive axles break. The stock computer calibration limits axlehop, but that also limits performance. Knowing when to back off the throttle is the cheap fix, followed by lighter-weight wheels and tires (because they have less inertia), and ultimately stouter aftermarket axles.

Posi problems (various): Jannetty says the stock Posi is weak: "It's prone to one-legger burnouts; the breakaway torque is way too low." Its Posi mods include upgraded clutch packs and a different preload spring. With a tuned Posi and revised internal gear preload, clearances, and patterns, the stock rear can take up to 750 hp, but 650 hp is more realistic for daily driving.

Driveshaft issues (over 5,000 rpm): Most report that the stock two-piece driveshaft is surprisingly robust. LPE's 9-second Camaro uses a shortened, stock, two-piece 'shaft, but with an improved center support to prevent the middle slider from twisting and binding. However, The Driveshaft Shop maintains that "anything with a slider is unstable over 5,000-rpm driveshaft speed." Its solutions range from a stouter two-piece unit with a CV joint or a one-piece aluminum or carbon-fiber 'shaft.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Here is a link to a thread in the V6 section about blown LLT engines. The LLT's have an issue of dissappearing oil????????????

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186495
Yeah it happened to me twice when I had my V6. Happened @ 10k and then again at 20k

First time, they replaced the crank and blown rods then the second time they went ahead and did the entire engine. Like you said, not getting enough oil.

Had the V6 changed out for the V8.
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #31
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camero5 View Post
Yeah it happened to me twice when I had my V6. Happened @ 10k and then again at 20k

First time, they replaced the crank and blown rods then the second time they went ahead and did the entire engine. Like you said, not getting enough oil.

Had the V6 changed out for the V8.
This is what worries me most about getting a tune...
Having my motor be factory defective and having the tune wrongfully blamed with denied warranty coverage
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
So you had a piston hydraulic Mammer?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #33
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
So you had a piston hydraulic Mammer?
Yessir. Bent twisted then broke the rod. Left the piston in just the right place to be tapped by the valves. Unfortunately GM doesn't exactly warranty water input.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #34
45th anniversary 2ss

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss 45th anni convert
everyone should read this, as even simple bolt ons can break stock parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Here is what breaks according to Hot Rod.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...e/viewall.html
45th anniversary 2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
willhe64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
Yessir. Bent twisted then broke the rod. Left the piston in just the right place to be tapped by the valves. Unfortunately GM doesn't exactly warranty water input.
Crazy man. How did you get so much water in your intake? I take it the head wasn't damaged or you could have said a coolant leak caused the hydraulic?

Loving that coffee table though, almost worth the price of a short block right there. Talk about making a silk purse from a Sow's ear.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #36
Da Mammer

Quote:
Crazy man. How did you get so much water in your intake? I take it the head wasn't damaged or you could have said a coolant leak caused the hydraulic?

Loving that coffee table though, almost worth the price of a short block right there. Talk about making a silk purse from a Sow's ear.
Was taking my girlfriend home one night it was pouring rain. Visibility sucked but I was in town doing 15mph, when an SUV passed me and a wall of water come over my car off his tires, when the wipers finally cleared it away I was in a patch of flooded road about a 1.5-2' deep. And I no sooner saw the water than watched and felt my RPMs go to sh*t. Called the town cops and told them the road was flooded and it damaged my car so they would block it off and warn other people and the response I got was "oh we know its flooded".... Just adding one to my list of rants about why I feel cops are useless. But in the end I got a cool table, and I upgraded to a lsx454 cuz what the Hell, why not.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
willhe64

Did you have the stock intake or a cold air kit on?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #38
Da Mammer

Quote:
Did you have the stock intake or a cold air kit on?
SLPs blackwing cold air intake. It goes all the way down into the front fascia where the stock windshield washer bottle is.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #39
willhe64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
SLPs blackwing cold air intake. It goes all the way down into the front fascia where the stock windshield washer bottle is.
Can you say, DESIGN FLAW.

Or do they market that as a cold water intake?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #40
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Or do they market that as a cold water intake?
Now that's funny, right there.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #41
blue-bayou

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS/Stick
Broke ring land on # 7 piston/stock. No pictures due to warranty/dealer repair, but I did take pics of plugs
Attached Images