Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
2sscamaro11

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
I think slicks would be better than stock tires. If you run a 17" rim, then you have more sidewall when you launch. Also, I feel your chances of wheel hop are far less with slicks which will help the stockers last longer. That being said, DO NOT just drop the clutch. Slip it out of the hole.
2sscamaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Everything I have read says that slicks are easier on the rear end than Drag radials for M6 cars. I don't see any threads telling people not to run DR's on their stock cars. My $.02
Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sscamaro11 View Post
I think slicks would be better than stock tires. If you run a 17" rim, then you have more sidewall when you launch. Also, I feel your chances of wheel hop are far less with slicks which will help the stockers last longer. That being said, DO NOT just drop the clutch. Slip it out of the hole.
Agreed! Guys are being a bunch of babies! The slicks are not gonna wheel hop, hes got a soft side wall to take the shock... and a good burn out that thing is gonna dead hook! My car has hooked on a 4500 rpm launch many times on the stock tires with a quick slip. You put slicks on and rev that pig to 5k, slip the clutch out fast and your gonna see some good times. If ANYTHING breaks then it was gonna break anyway! Seems like you are a pretty good driver if you ran 13 flat bone stock, your looking at a half second with those 17s and tires. These cars are pretty strong from the factory. People hear horror storys and all of sudden every car is gonna break if you drive it hard.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #32
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
Everything I have read says that slicks are easier on the rear end than Drag radials for M6 cars. I don't see any threads telling people not to run DR's on their stock cars. My $.02

I hear the same thing due to the squishy sidewall but that will only compensate so much for the stock parts. Stock parts are just that, stock. Not meant for hard launches at the strip.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #33
2sscamaro11

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I hear the same thing due to the squishy sidewall but that will only compensate so much for the stock parts. Stock parts are just that, stock. Not meant for hard launches at the strip.
agreed, but I would say wheel hop is worse than hooking on the line while slipping the clutch.
2sscamaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #34
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sscamaro11 View Post
agreed, but I would say wheel hop is worse than hooking on the line while slipping the clutch.

Yup, I'd have to agree with that statement. I think wheel hop is the number one killer for broken parts. Slicks with a bone stock suspension will still yeild wheel hop. if you can eliminate that the you greatly decrease the chance of a broken part.

Bottom line is that there is a threshold that the stock parts will suffer up to, then kaboom. Obviously the M6 cars have a lower threshold than the A6's. You may be able to get away with it or you may break something. No one can honestly say for sure because no one knows.

If the car is driven to the track that I would tend to direct people in such a manner that they will be able to drive the car back home. If the OP is only getting a 13.0 on the stock tires there is still a great deal of improvement to be had. I'd work on that first.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #35
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
You can do this:

and another

and still do this

Built race car > stock M6 car

Not apples to apples.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #36
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
With a stock M6 car all you're going to do is increase the chance of something breaking. With the sudden hook of a slick the shock to the drivetrain will be tremendous and you being all stock will most likely break a drivetrain part.

Use the stock tires. The little slipping that they do will be gentler on the drivetrain.
I snapped my stock axle with DRs, slicks are going to hit harder. I'd invest in set of upgraded axles along with LCAs before bolting them on.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote