Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #29
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
2013 gt500s have gone 9s on stock suspension. Is that considered "a number?" Where do you guys get this stuff? Slicks and skinnies with drag suspension my ass, a decent drag radial will put one of those cars in the low 11s-high 10s all day long. A guy on the 'vette forums ran an 11.2 at 128 his first day with his on drag radials, completely stock otherwise.
I can post numerous incidences of '13 GT500 running slow. 12 second ETs have and do occur....often. Heck I can find posts of the ZL1 beating the GT500. By all the bench racing out there that should never happen.

"Where do you guys get this stuff?" It is called experience. And mine includes drag racing a 670 HP manual transmission Mustang on radials, DR and slicks. A car at this power level is a handful to drive and VERY difficult to get consistent ETs from. With a manual trans it is even harder to do.

You should re-read my post I did not say the someone could not ever run a good ET with a stock car... What I said was that it would be hard to do it consistently... I have highlighted the important parts. I even noted that the ZL1 with bigger tires, more sophisticated suspension / electronics and less power running through and automatic transmission has a hard time running the same ET everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
The number Baron is discussing the 1/4 mile. All the power in the world means nothing if you cannot put it to the ground. A 600+ HP car with a manual, street / road course tuned suspension and street tires is going to have a very hard time putting the power to the ground. You might get a hero run or two but it will be darn near impossible to make the car consistent without drag suspension and slicks. (Ideally the car should be an auto too.)

People dog the ZL1 but the car has the power to run 11s all day long. Even with the crappy 580HP (I laugh at people hating on the HP) the car makes it is hard to get the car to deliver good ETs and the ZL1 has wider tires, better traction management, and the option of an auto that the more powerful GT500 does not have.

That being said a 13 GT500 with suspension setup for drag racing (the live axle is better for this to start.) and a set of slicks and skinnies the car should run 10s all day long if the driver is good.
BTW If my credentials are not good enough you could always look the "The Baron"....who I was agreeing with.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=gt500

Might want to note he beat a modded GT500 that with slicks and suspension was "only" running 10s.

More from this guy:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...82&postcount=1

BTW the best mod these cars can have is the "driver mod".

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
I can post numerous incidences of '13 GT500 running slow. 12 second ETs have and do occur....often. Heck I can find posts of the ZL1 beating the GT500. By all the bench racing out there that should never happen.

"Where do you guys get this stuff?" It is called experience. And mine includes drag racing a 670 HP manual transmission Mustang on radials, DR and slicks. A car at this power level is a handful to drive and VERY difficult to get consistent ETs from. With a manual trans it is even harder to do.

You should re-read my post I did not say the someone could not ever run a good ET with a stock car... What I said was that it would be hard to do it consistently... I have highlighted the important parts. I even noted that the ZL1 with bigger tires, more sophisticated suspension / electronics and less power running through and automatic transmission has a hard time running the same ET everytime.

BTW If my credentials are not good enough you could always look the "The Baron"....who I was agreeing with.

Might want to note he beat a modded GT500 that with slicks and suspension was "only" running 10s.

More from this guy:

The car the baron ran was not a 2013 or even the aluminum block 5.4, so I don't see how that is relevant. So again, what is this "number" you guys are talking about? If 9s on stock suspension isn't a number. . . What is this elusive number? I responded to Baron originally. The discussion was never about bracket racing it was about individual ETs.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #31
Njtony

Drives: 2015 Zo6
Quote:

More from this guy:

Not sure if my car in the first video proves your point or not. I ran two back to back passes at low twelves even with the car coming of multiple passes on a summer day. The cars has gone 11.25 bone stock inc tires and will run consistent low 11's with dr's. obviously the zl1 with an auto is going to be more consistent but its potential best run is way behind a gt500.
Njtony is offline   Reply With Quote