Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 07-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #29
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
I doubt GM will offer a tune for the ECM. That is why they work with companies like Hypertech, etc. It would also cause problems with the EPA, CARB, etc.

I did not realize you were looking for a tune, I thought the reflash that will probabaly come for the L99 cars that are "slow".

I have a GTO LS2 and I would spend the money on a dyno tune. You get the results right there and they tailor it for you, your driving, fuel type (premium or regular, etc). It is well worth it and I actually get better fuel economy with my GTO after the tune.

avalon

I'll agree with you that most likely GM will not put out a tune for the Camaro. However it would be no problem with CARB or the EPA. If it was then all companies that do the upgraded tunes would have the same problems. GM has already offered upgrades thorough the GMPP divison for other cars so it would be no problem if they went the same route with the Camaro.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #30
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
I doubt GM will offer a tune for the ECM. That is why they work with companies like Hypertech, etc. It would also cause problems with the EPA, CARB, etc.

I did not realize you were looking for a tune, I thought the reflash that will probabaly come for the L99 cars that are "slow".

I have a GTO LS2 and I would spend the money on a dyno tune. You get the results right there and they tailor it for you, your driving, fuel type (premium or regular, etc). It is well worth it and I actually get better fuel economy with my GTO after the tune.

avalon

what type of power increases did you get from this tune? and GTOs 'required' 93 octane anyway, didnt they? so would the LTT camaro get a bigger increase since it is setup for regular?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #31
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsavujr View Post
I just heard from somebody that just got a new automatic SS, the dealer said they had a new tune to increse HP by about 40--maybe a fix forthe "slow" automatic cars?
I call unless we see something from GM.

I would hope that Scott would be the first to know and the first to get it.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 AM   #32
autopat

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
Freeway Chevrolet, here in Chandler, AZ. tells me they have a GMPP tuner good for around 50hp, for $600. The guy says he's put it in several cars already with very impressive SOTP results, the only catch is: you don't get to keep the tuner, the dealer installs it, and you drive it.
autopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:22 AM   #33
steddy2112

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh View Post
Neither of these are true. They have a stage 2 upgrade tune for the now dead Solstice/Sky platforms. Nice upgrade for them to around 300hp.
And you know how much BULLSHIT GM is going through to get that very same upgrade over to the same engined Cobalt SS?

Coming up with tunes is a PITA for GM to do and keeping them CARB legal is a HUGE uphill battle.

Your best bet is to get a second PCM and call it a day.

In that case I suggest HPTuners.

And the guy comparing bikes to cars...no.

Just no.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:24 AM   #34
steddy2112

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
what type of power increases did you get from this tune? and GTOs 'required' 93 octane anyway, didnt they? so would the LTT camaro get a bigger increase since it is setup for regular?
No modern car 'requires' anything but 87 octane(R+M) gasoline.

Most GM's run on a high octane spark timing map until it knocks enough to switch over to the low octane map though.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #35
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddy2112 View Post
And you know how much BULLSHIT GM is going through to get that very same upgrade over to the same engined Cobalt SS?

Coming up with tunes is a PITA for GM to do and keeping them CARB legal is a HUGE uphill battle.

Your best bet is to get a second PCM and call it a day.

In that case I suggest HPTuners.

And the guy comparing bikes to cars...no.

Just no.
There was no pain in the ass to it. The upgrade if you look is listed for all the LNF cars. There is no warranty voiding, and parts swapping trying to hide what you are doing. Its a GMPP once again no pain in the ass at all. They have multiple parts that are out that are all CARB certified. So how hard is it to just add one more to the list. You are making no sense with your argument. This is a whole section of GM just for this. They know its a large market to be tapped into, so for them its not an issue. That is why now you see more and more stuff being offered such as wheels, headers, exhaust, and tunes for many GM vehicles. They want the cash going to them instead of the aftermarket. Unless you can come up with a valid reason why this is so hard to do your, argument is pointless.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #36
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddy2112 View Post
No modern car 'requires' anything but 87 octane(R+M) gasoline.

Most GM's run on a high octane spark timing map until it knocks enough to switch over to the low octane map though.
87 = ping of death.

my old mall parking beater 93 safari van, runs liek crap on 87. it cries out loud and barely tolerates 89. runs best on 91.
those who say 87 is almost as good is full of it.
go fill up your new 2ss with 87, and log it. KR up the wazoo methinks. great for no power. no timing. no mileage...
with the new age of alum heads, 10:1 or higher is pretty standard.
9:1 or 8.5:1 from the slug days of mid 80's ran ok on cheap gas.

my sales guy told me flat out "there is no difference on 91 to 87 gas for your newe escalade." on 91, i drove from lethbridge to edmonton on less than 1/2 tank or about 55 litres driving at 130kph. thats almost 600 km (400 miles)with a couple stops in between. just cause you can, doesnt mean you should.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #37
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
You might get another 20HP or so from a tune. The big thing is if GM would back off the dang torque management so much. That is probably what is killing my car and others off the line. That and I think my car is running real rich. Heavy Gas smell when reving the car and the tale pipe is pretty dirty.
Imagine what your plugs look like already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ss View Post
87 = ping of death.

my old mall parking beater 93 safari van, runs liek crap on 87. it cries out loud and barely tolerates 89. runs best on 91.
those who say 87 is almost as good is full of it.
go fill up your new 2ss with 87, and log it. KR up the wazoo methinks. great for no power. no timing. no mileage...
with the new age of alum heads, 10:1 or higher is pretty standard.
9:1 or 8.5:1 from the slug days of mid 80's ran ok on cheap gas.
Thats because your 93 safari van probably has a shit ton of carbon built up in the heads and on the piston that it raised the CR. All octane rating is how the gasoline burns. Its not a better gasoline. You can run 10: comp ration on 87. You just have to adjust your spark map to make up for it, you wont get the most of it, but it can work without ping.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #38
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
i agree, but you have to take away timing to make it work, which robs you of power.
i am also quite aware of how octane works, sometimes really high is too high as well.
i have a car than runs on 103, with 15 lbs boost on 9.5:1, and i spray it. it would go kaboom on 87 under load. hel, even 91 wont work. not with 20+ deg adv.
but to prove a point, i made it run on 87, and got 42 mpg loaded to gvw. it was a gutless sow.
and the minivan, i use a tank of gas every 2 months or so. i dont take my nice cars to the mall, etc. to get door dinged.

Last edited by hot ss; 07-29-2009 at 09:09 PM.
hot ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #39
gmag21
gmag21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to gmag21 Send a message via Skype™ to gmag21
"426 HP, baseline :O, is INSANITY who would every want more?? A CRAZY MAN THAT IS!" Quoted by GM, 2009.

L99 | Billyboat Exhaust, American Racing Headers, Pfadt Springs and Sways, Tune | 350 whp / 371 tq
gmag21 is offline   Reply With Quote