Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #29
amphi

Drives: 2SS Imperial Blue
Thanks for all the info guys. 155 mph is definitly enough for me to get around a string of trucks on the right and not have a Porsche come up behind me in a hurry flashing his lights.
Now that I know a saved 1,000.00 Euros, does anyone think that is a little much they are asking for to take the speed limiter out of a Camaro? 1,000.00 Euros is about $1,350.00 this is with Germany's 19% Sale's Tax.
amphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 AM   #30
Imfishintx

Drives: 07 Tahoe LTZ
Yes 1,000 Euro's is way to much!!! You could buy your own tuner and do it yourself for less.
Imfishintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #31
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Governors are put into place for many reasons. Yes mainly tires but also the shape of the car itself. Take my dads car for example. Sorry its a Mustang.

Anywho... he sent his 2007 Mustang GT (maybe 140 electronically governed) to Brenspeed where they did their "stage III" kit to it. Saleen supercharger, injectors, aux fuel pump, tune (removes all governors)...etc. The car dynos 480 +/- depending on temp and humidity at the rear wheels. It's wickedly quick!

Now to the point, my dad asked how fast (not to be confussed with quick, fast is HP, quick is TQ) is this car good for now b/c when it was on the dyno the needle (140/160 I don't know) was burried. They guys at the shop said the engine with stock gearing is probably good for 170-180 BUT there is no way in hell you would ever want to go that fast in this car. The body shape and aerodynamics can't take it. The rear end would lift, the hood would flap, basically it would scare the crap out of you. He said that 160 would be the fastest he'd want to even try. On the other hand my recently sold C6 (LS2) was not electronically governed, it is drag limited at I believe 192ish?? The body can take whatever and still be stable but it just runs out of engine/HP at that speed.

I'd put the Camaro and the Mustang on the same field here, similar shape. I'd be hard pressed to suggest going over 155/160. You want to push the 200 mph limit, you better get something more aerodynamic like a Corvette...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #32
amphi

So, if these limiters are mainly put in place because of the tire rating the vehicle leaves the factory with and there is no federal or state law regarding speed governors being a requirement. Is it then illegal or not to remove the governor through a computer tune?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:03 AM   #33
Hillbilly
Rider of the short BUS

Drives: Ukon/F350(work)/Intruder800
I thought Jimmie Johnson drove the camaro to 165 on the daytona speedway
Old 11-30-2009, 06:50 AM   #34
amphi

Well, I have had my Camaro for about 1,300 miles. I just couldn't resist. I was driving back from K-Town towards Stuttgart on the A6. There is a stretch where the speed restrictions are lifted. So I let it open up. Complete disregarded keeping it under 100mph as per the break-in procedure, only have 200 miles to go anyway.
Had a Audi trailing me, he thought he could pass me,...wrong!!! I got the car up to 146MPH (235km/h) and then traffic got a little dense so I cut it back. Wow, I was impressed. My old Firebird would shake so bad just going 110MPH. This Camaro handles just as well as a $90,000 BMW or Audi. I love it. It is not true that US Engineers only build for cost effectiveness vice performance. Maybe that is the ultimate goal!!! Not build an expensive machine and then sock it to the customer. My question has been answered. Definitly do not need to tune anything out to drive on the German Autobahn.
Now, if we could teach Americans how to drive, maybe we could institute a Federal US Autobahn.