Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #29
ksmrz

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If your near wbd have them fix it. I had there tune and I started over from basically scratch and I'm redoing my tune... For my own reasons
2010 2SS LS3 228/235 Cam Motion custom ground cam, AI 280cc ported heads, Dynatech 1 7/8" long tubes, catless mids, CAI intake, ATI 10% UDP, CORSA cat back, Slp 160 tstat, gm 3.91s/Tru trac, EFI LIVE tuned by myself
ksmrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #30
ksmrz

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Or its in your minimum idle airflow table but seeing that it stays running and does good cold its gotta be cranking airflow
2010 2SS LS3 228/235 Cam Motion custom ground cam, AI 280cc ported heads, Dynatech 1 7/8" long tubes, catless mids, CAI intake, ATI 10% UDP, CORSA cat back, Slp 160 tstat, gm 3.91s/Tru trac, EFI LIVE tuned by myself
ksmrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #31
Cruz-lo

Drives: 2010 2ss RS
I had hot start issues.
To the point I felt uncomfortable to drive the car when I had to make more than one stop!

Every time it was warm out and the car was hot it acted like my battery was dead. Worse, after slow cranking was the dreaded stabilitrac error that made the car run terrible.

When cold the car always started just fine.

This all Started after I had the car 2 years. (Took delivery June 2009)
camed and headers for 1.5 of those years.
Even when I installed a high torque starter it did not go away.
New rebuild and 416ci it was still there.
Battery and charging system tested good.
All connecting points and ground checked numerous times.

I even put a known good optima yellow top from another vehicle in and still the same problems.

For my case at that time the problem was the connecting point where the jumper post is under the hood. Even though it was clean and tight. It must have not been passing the current through the starter needed. Those thin cable ends maybe?

I tested this by cutting the insulation off (about 1/2 inch worth) the main cable and the cable running to the starter. then making a temporary jumper with 4 gauge wire around the connecting stud.
Attached with hose clamps. Wrapped it all up in electrical tape and drove like that a few weeks just to see.

All problems gone!

Now I ended up running a second new 1/0 cable from my battery (fused) to the starter directly. Left the factory cable in place to the jumper post. It has been this way now since 2011 with no issues.

But for what it's worth I also know our stock batteries are no match when compared to the new AGM versions. AND maybe had I had a better battery in the first place my story may have been different.

This year in Jan I had to get a new batt. My delco was still testing OK per AAP though. But each cold day (well below freezing) it would lag and crank slow.
Stock batt measured in at 569 CCA 12.62V 59 degreesF
I asked the AAP guy to check the new batt.
He checked it at the same temp and same tool. Came in at 1144 CCA and 12.64V 62 degrees F.

Needless to say the car starts even better now.

Hope this helps...
Cruz-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #32
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
I just went through a "dragging" starter issue. It really started after I upped the compression a bit, when the engine was hot the starter would turn real slow. I went with a high torque starter from Powermaster.
I spent a lot of time talking to JR in tech support and also Dave (head engineer). They ended up putting together a "hybrid" starter for me. It's a 9509, but with 2.4hp to fit my needs. Basically give them a call or drop them an email with your issues and they'll fix it.

I don't have any experience with other aftermarket manufacturers, so I can't comment further.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out
Old 06-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #33
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz-lo View Post
I had hot start issues.
To the point I felt uncomfortable to drive the car when I had to make more than one stop!

Every time it was warm out and the car was hot it acted like my battery was dead. Worse, after slow cranking was the dreaded stabilitrac error that made the car run terrible.

When cold the car always started just fine.

This all Started after I had the car 2 years. (Took delivery June 2009)
camed and headers for 1.5 of those years.
Even when I installed a high torque starter it did not go away.
New rebuild and 416ci it was still there.
Battery and charging system tested good.
All connecting points and ground checked numerous times.

I even put a known good optima yellow top from another vehicle in and still the same problems.

For my case at that time the problem was the connecting point where the jumper post is under the hood. Even though it was clean and tight. It must have not been passing the current through the starter needed. Those thin cable ends maybe?

I tested this by cutting the insulation off (about 1/2 inch worth) the main cable and the cable running to the starter. then making a temporary jumper with 4 gauge wire around the connecting stud.
Attached with hose clamps. Wrapped it all up in electrical tape and drove like that a few weeks just to see.

All problems gone!

Now I ended up running a second new 1/0 cable from my battery (fused) to the starter directly. Left the factory cable in place to the jumper post. It has been this way now since 2011 with no issues.

But for what it's worth I also know our stock batteries are no match when compared to the new AGM versions. AND maybe had I had a better battery in the first place my story may have been different.

This year in Jan I had to get a new batt. My delco was still testing OK per AAP though. But each cold day (well below freezing) it would lag and crank slow.
Stock batt measured in at 569 CCA 12.62V 59 degreesF
I asked the AAP guy to check the new batt.
He checked it at the same temp and same tool. Came in at 1144 CCA and 12.64V 62 degrees F.

Needless to say the car starts even better now.

Hope this helps...
This is good info
Old 06-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #34
Cruz-lo

Name:  Cable test and new cable.jpg
Views: 3541
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  new starter cable.jpg
Views: 3406
Size:  88.5 KB
Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #35
Cruz-lo

Name:  IMG_20150608_203308.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  107.5 KB
Old 06-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #36
silverz28

Drives: 1996 Camaro Z28, 2012 2SS/RS
Took your advice tonight and got an AGM battery. If I start to have the prob again starting, I will try your other method. Along where did you run the 1/0 cable from the battery to the starter? Outside the car I assume. Is it necessary to do that and the jumper?
2012 2SS/RS IOM, LS3, Aftermarket Hurst shifter, IOM interior, Borla "S", 1 7/8 Big Flow headers, ADM Race cold air, BMR 1" lowering springs, SLP Supercharger, Custom Comp Cam, Fore Innovations twin pumps, Flex Fuel Sensor
silverz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #37
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
I've had the same issue multiple times.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #38
Cruz-lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverz28 View Post
Took your advice tonight and got an AGM battery. If I start to have the prob again starting, I will try your other method. Along where did you run the 1/0 cable from the battery to the starter? Outside the car I assume. Is it necessary to do that and the jumper?
Great. For me testing both batteries at AAP gave me the confidence it was worth the investment before I coughed up the cash.

I ran the 1/0 exactly next to the factory cable from the battery all the way through the inside of the car. then at the firewall I drilled a hole for it to go through in the same area.

I used split loom (Automotive heat resistant and not the parts plus or radio shack type stuff that melts) everywhere the cable may rub on something.

Hardest part of the whole thing was where the cable runs around the front of the engine. Taking that channel off and getting the old cable out and new cable in was a pita. But I did it with out taking anything on the engine apart. Just dropped the starter of course.

I bought the cable, heat resistant loom, and and the crimp connectors at http://www.wiringproducts.com/ they have it all!

Hope this helps and let us know if the AGM Batt alone helps.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #39
Cruz-lo

[QUOTE=silverz28;
Is it necessary to do that and the jumper?[/QUOTE]

The Jumper was only a test. When I saw how much it helped, I removed it and ran the second 1/0 all the way.

A dedicated cable from the Battery ONLY for the starter. MAX current for the starter without impacting the path from the battery to the rest of the cars needs...

I felt like the starter was pulling so much current it was screwing with the ECM and other modules. Pulling the voltage so low it was throwing the stabilitrac error.
Ruined many outings forcing embarrassing limp mode drives home instead.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #40
silverz28

AGM battery is great but did not fix the problem. I'm having the hot start problem again. On another note, the BAP was taken off and the battery is no longer draining. I need to do something about this since it is my daily driver.
2012 2SS/RS IOM, LS3, Aftermarket Hurst shifter, IOM interior, Borla "S", 1 7/8 Big Flow headers, ADM Race cold air, BMR 1" lowering springs, SLP Supercharger, Custom Comp Cam, Fore Innovations twin pumps, Flex Fuel Sensor
Old 08-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #41
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz-lo View Post
The Jumper was only a test. When I saw how much it helped, I removed it and ran the second 1/0 all the way.

A dedicated cable from the Battery ONLY for the starter. MAX current for the starter without impacting the path from the battery to the rest of the cars needs...

I felt like the starter was pulling so much current it was screwing with the ECM and other modules. Pulling the voltage so low it was throwing the stabilitrac error.
Ruined many outings forcing embarrassing limp mode drives home instead.
I think I'm going to try this, too. Do you recall how much cable and loom you bought? Also you said you had fuse protection on the dedicated cable. What kind of fuse is that? What's it's capacity?

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #42
silverz28

My mystery has been solved. First, my battery was draining somehow. I had a BAP installed incorrectly by a local shop. When a different shop installed my Fore Innovations fuel system, they took off the BAP and now no more battery drain. But, I still had a hot starting issue. That turned out to be an engine ground issue. The ground wire to the head on the passenger’s side welded itself to the bolt and was arching. Now, it starts every time. Hope this helps someone. It was an aggravating problem for about 8 months.