Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #29
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Ultima water-less wash plus is a fantastic product that has a few different uses and goes a long way. It can be used as a water-less wash, rinse-less wash, detail spray, and clay lube, as noted above. It is a great product and a huge bargain.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #30
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I use Turtle Ice and love it!!! No issues what so ever!!

To each their own......
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #31
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
i thk i should mention again that the swirls are from drive through washes. of course i dont do them anymore.....i wish i was hand washing it this whole time
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #32
thegreatwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Great! If your using the 2 bucket method correctly your already moving in the right direction.

Most all of the damage your clear coat will get is from improper washing and drying.

If you not using one already, a foam gun is a good idea to lubricate the surface before washing, the BunnyK Foamaster costs only around $27 on Amazon, and is well built. I've used mine hundreds of times with no issues.

The wash media, (mitt and drying towel) you use is also a very important part of the 2 bucket wash. I have tried several different products over 30 years of washing cars, and the Microfiber Madness Incredimitt and Dry Me Crazy, or Waverider Drying towels are the best I've found. These are not cheap products, but will clean/dry your car without causing marring.

I wash my car too much probably. At least once a week, if it rains, it's washed as soon as the roads are dry, during pollen season, every day for the 2-3 weeks the pollen is falling. I'm not suggesting that you go this far, but to say that using these 2 products, my car has remained swirl free for an entire year, despite me washing it to death.

I would also add that if your not currently doing it, a pooling rinse will remove 80-90% of the water that sits on your car after you wash. A good sealant or wax will increase water removal during a pooling rinse.

The one thing I would differ from what is shown in this video is to hold the hose closer to the end so you don't drag it against the car.

After pooling, a mist with detail spray will provide lubrication as you dry. The spray wax you have may work, I don't know, I haven't used it.

The best value for a good quality product for detail spray I've found is Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate. $18 makes 5.5 gallons of detail spray. You can also use this for clay lube, and for rinseless.

White base paint like you have actually is good for hiding scratches and swirls, versus a dark color like black or red. The trade off is white shows every single speck of dirt. Claying your car will make a huge difference in itself, by removing all the stuck on contaminates.

A white car when clayed, compounded, polished, sealed and waxed is a thing of beauty. Looks like a giant bowl of shiny milk that would wet your hands if you touch it.

since iv been hand washing iv gotten a great shine on it a couple times and i know its good when the car is reflecting so much and so bright that its hard to look straight at it when outside in the sun. i really look forward to it looking even better with the clear coat corrected
Old 11-16-2015, 04:09 AM   #33
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
just wondering if anyone here knows what the difference is between turtle waxes regular line of products and their "ICE" line of products the stuff in the blue bottles. cause turtle wax has their regular spray wax called wax n dry and then they have an ICE spray wax and i wanna know if theres even a difference between the two. is one more natural and one synthetic? just looking for info from users and not the companys biased answers thanks.
Not sure of the difference, but have been using turtle wax ice paste, and ice detailer. I like using both products and how it looks.

I have also used the regular turtle wax paste and feel the ice paste looks better after and is easier to apply and remove/buff.

Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #34
Merlin

Drives: Very Shiny
I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in here and offer my thoughts...

The original OP wanted to know the difference between two Turtle Wax products...
I'm sorry, I can't answer that. I personally do not use Turtle Wax products.

There are a few suppliers that I'm not a big fan of many of their products.
...and there is a big difference between consumer and commercial products.

"Preparation is the Key"
A meticulously polished vehicle can make a $3 Walmart wax look really good!
You won't get much protection from the $3 wax but it'll look great when applied.

I'm also not a big fan of boutique products and waxes. It is marketing hype.
There are TONS of folks selling their "new and improved" wax of the week.
There are inexpensive waxes that have great durability and are shiny.
There are expensive waxes that have a deep "look" but only last a week.

I've given away $1,000's in detailing products. I use what works for me!
I buy it. I try it. If I like it, I keep it. If not, I find someone and give it away.
Different paints require different products. That's why there is a "test spot".

I have many cabinets full of detailing compounds, polishes, waxes, sealants etc.
I probably have enough waxes and sealants to last me (and others) ten lifetimes.

The detailing industry has changed a LOT since Simoniz on Grandpa's Oldsmobile!
Recently, there have been tremendous advances in new innovative detailing products.
To name a few, this includes Rupes, Meguiars, Lake Country, Carpro and a few others.

Bottom Line:
Use what you like & use it often. Keep your mind open & don't be afraid to try new things!

A last note on washing:
Don't drag dirt across your paint when you wash. Lift the dirt off and wash it away.
Keeping the paint as "swirl free" as possible is not rocket science, it's a simple regimen.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #35
thegreatwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinii View Post

The original OP wanted to know the difference between two Turtle Wax products...

"Preparation is the Key"
You won't get much protection from the $3 wax but it'll look great when applied.

I buy it. I try it. If I like it, I keep it. If not, I find someone and give it away.

I have many cabinets full of detailing compounds, polishes, waxes, sealants etc.
I probably have enough waxes and sealants to last me (and others) ten lifetimes.

Recently, there have been tremendous advances in new innovative detailing products.
To name a few, this includes Rupes, Meguiars, Lake Country, Carpro and a few others.

Bottom Line:
Use what you like & use it often. Keep your mind open & don't be afraid to try new things!

A last note on washing:
Don't drag dirt across your paint when you wash. Lift the dirt off and wash it away.
Keeping the paint as "swirl free" as possible is not rocket science, it's a simple regimen.
thank you. im definitely down for the try different products until i find what works best and what i like method and thats what im in the middle of. the turtle wax ice product was too streaky and hard to completely wipe off i like their original spray wax better. unfortunately i still need to get the clear coat swirls polished out so until i do that i wont be able to see the full potential of any products or washing methods i use.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #36
Merlin

I'll be glad to point you in the right direction for polishing out the swirls...

Would you like me to start a thread?

Do you have a machine, pads polishes?
Old 11-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #37
thegreatwhite

thats what i want my cars surface to look like. like a mirror lol. i dont have any machines
Old 11-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #38
Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
thats what i want my cars surface to look like. like a mirror lol.
i dont have any machines
Thank you...

You can't accomplish by hand what you can with a machine.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #39
DazednConfused

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I'll be glad to point you in the right direction for polishing out the swirls...

Would you like me to start a thread?

Do you have a machine, pads polishes?
Beautiful shine, would love to see you start a thread.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #40
Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazednConfused View Post
Beautiful shine, would love to see you start a thread.
OK Let's start with the basics...

How To Wash Your Car.
The Two Bucket Washing Method
Old 11-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #41
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
Quote:

"Preparation is the Key"

Bottom Line:

A last note on washing:
Spot on great coments.
Much better than crap and worse crap.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote