Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 PM   #29
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I have 43k... Have they diagnosed it yet?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #30
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Well, I have to say I monitor it constantly, comes from my pilot training and 'scanning the instruments'. I have the AeroForce dual gauges and its part of my scan that I do while driving. Some habits are hard to break ;0).

-Don
I completely get that with you being a pilot. Makes sense. My wife on the other hand, cruising down the road 70mph, music on 40, thinking about the 50 places my daughter has to be, what to do about supper and all the BS she deals with at work all day, has very little thought process left to consider keeping her eyes peel to an oil pressure gauge. That 's just one example. For me, I pay more attention to it also, but that's only because the car doesn't have the safeties I'm talking about.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #31
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
First three words of your post say it all. The way people jump on an issue without facts and pounce with angered emotions is nuts. It's under warranty. Get it fixed and move on. Or obviously the OP likes to mod his car so it's a perfect time to upgrade the engine a little.
Well, then you have the other side. Acting like a failed oil pump is no big thing. Same as a burnt out light bulb. Just take her in it's under warranty. I dont know the numbers because I don't need to to be able to understand that oil pumps shouldn't fail in a two year old car. Your attitude is starting to be the norm these days, and that is why there are very few good quality products anymore. Im really not sure where this thinking came from. We are our own worse enemy. Not trying to fued with you. Just trying to understand your way of thinking.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:59 AM   #32
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
I have 43k... Have they diagnosed it yet?
Well I had a another service center talk to GM about it. His response was it will be the same pump put back in. It sounds like GM has a real problem getting their engine blocks cleared of manufacturing debris. The statement was the pump design is fine, on some engines that had debris in then they will finally build up after getting stuck in the relief valve and it will fail. Hope fully all engine debris are now gone and the second pump should not fail.

NOW go read about LT1 and LT4 failures which there have been many and GM has said they have had problems getting the blocks clean and debris are clogging the oil pumps and oil filters. Some reviewers Z06's even had major motor damage from this.

Granted car is under warranty and being fixed but sure the heck does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Has to make you wonder why GM dropped the drivetrain warranty from 100K to 60K miles.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/09/...2014-corvette/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...nalists-hands/
http://www.torquenews.com/106/corvet...ed-motor-trend

Just search and you will find issues that are a little nerve racking even on a new motor.

I am still really considering one of these:
Attached Images

Last edited by Scott@Bjorn3D; 12-03-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #33
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Well I had a another service center talk to GM about it. His response was it will be the same pump put back in. It sounds like GM has a real problem getting their engine blocks cleared of manufacturing debris. The statement was the pump design is fine, on some engines that had debris in then they will finally build up after getting stuck in the relief valve and it will fail. Hope fully all engine debris are now gone and the second pump should not fail.

NOW go read about LT1 and LT4 failures which there have been many and GM has said they have had problems getting the blocks clean and debris are clogging the oil pumps and oil filters. Some reviewers Z06's even had major motor damage from this.

Granted car is under warranty and being fixed but sure the heck does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Has to make you wonder why GM dropped the drivetrain warranty from 100K to 60K miles.

Just search and you will find issues that are a little nerve racking even on a new motor.

Depending on the power level and drivetrain we get in the US, I already have discussed their first allocation with my local dealer.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #34
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Depending on the power level and drivetrain we get in the US, I already have discussed their first allocation with my local dealer.
Yeah I am going to drive the new 10th gen Civic SI when they come out and see how I like it. If I like it then just figure out how long before the Type-R is coming out and getting one.

Video reviews of the Type-R look great in Europe. One of them showed how much room the hatchback had and it was allot.

Hope they include the +R setting like they do overseas.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #35
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Put a Melling in and while your there change the cam.....
just do this, an ss will be more fun than any honda lol
Sold: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower, Custom Camshaft, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, 680rw 93/750rw E85, Tuned by CSP
Sold: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #36
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:

Can you ask him how they determined engine block debris was causing the problem? and is it a concern for the '16 models ...tell him your considering getting rid of your '13 for a '16 but ONLY if the problem doesn't exist.

Last edited by camguynj; 12-03-2015 at 01:41 PM.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #37
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Well, then you have the other side. Acting like a failed oil pump is no big thing. Same as a burnt out light bulb. Just take her in it's under warranty. I dont know the numbers because I don't need to to be able to understand that oil pumps shouldn't fail in a two year old car. Your attitude is starting to be the norm these days, and that is why there are very few good quality products anymore. Im really not sure where this thinking came from. We are our own worse enemy. Not trying to fued with you. Just trying to understand your way of thinking.
Well, my way of thinking about this type of subject which could lead to people and politics will never be discussed over an internet forum. It would be like trying to communicate with my wife when we both have ear plugs in and are drawing pictures trying to get each others point across with no talking. It doesn't work. I try not to take things too deep and serious on here. The lack of what it really takes to communicate is too great. In the context of the OP's trouble and from me knowing of his other L99 Camaro then this LS3 that he loved once, and then to interpret his wanting a little foreign car with a wing on the back just doesn't compute in my head. If my car's oil pump and or the whole engine goes south, I will get er fixed and go on.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #38
LTRS777

Drives: 2014 Saleen 620 White Label #14-011
Quote:
That would make sense, in my mind, if the pumps were failing early on... how does debris from a block assembly lead to oil pump failure 40-50-60k miles down the road? How many times has the oil recycled the oil filter and engine? I would imagine that a literal physical blockage from debris would rear its head a lot sooner than YEARs and tens of thousands of miles on dozens of oil changes down the road (or well I change every 3-5k)...

I am just thinking out loud as I too am nervous about things like this and literally have my ultragauge scan speed, fuel, and similar so I can just leave the oil temp and pressure screen on and up in the middle of the dash lol. I would love to figure out a way to prevent or stop this, but if what above is true, why would installing a Melling or similar be any better? Are they debris-proof or something? If the debris build up can happen over such a long time period of multiple starts and running events, would it not just eventually make any unit fail (if that were the case)?
'14 Saleen 620 White Label #14-011
ADM LSA Stage 1 Kit, ADM 2.75 Pulley, DEKA 63lb injectors,
ZL1 Fuel Pump, JLT 123MM Big Mouth intake, TSP 2" LTHs,
BW TB, 2.5" Catback, Scott Culbert/GEN3PERF tuned!
573WHP/557WTQ @ 10psi.
Build Thread Here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390708

LTRS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #39
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRS777 View Post
That would make sense, in my mind, if the pumps were failing early on... how does debris from a block assembly lead to oil pump failure 40-50-60k miles down the road? How many times has the oil recycled the oil filter and engine? I would imagine that a literal physical blockage from debris would rear its head a lot sooner than YEARs and tens of thousands of miles on dozens of oil changes down the road (or well I change every 3-5k)...

I am just thinking out loud as I too am nervous about things like this and literally have my ultragauge scan speed, fuel, and similar so I can just leave the oil temp and pressure screen on and up in the middle of the dash lol. I would love to figure out a way to prevent or stop this, but if what above is true, why would installing a Melling or similar be any better? Are they debris-proof or something? If the debris build up can happen over such a long time period of multiple starts and running events, would it not just eventually make any unit fail (if that were the case)?
Yea, this got me concerned & confused too...what's the real cause I'm with you in thinking engine debris wouldn't take 10s of thousands of miles to cause the problem after multiple oil & filter changes? FWIW you may want to consider a magnetic drain plug. I put one of these in at my first oil change 5k miles. http://goldplug.com/
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #40
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Well my eyes are glued to the oil pressure gauge and info center every time I start the car. If it goes I'm putting in a Melling pump and doing cam work. If I do the work myself I could save a bunch. I'm preparing myself mentally for when it goes out. At least then my girlfriends car will finally see some daily use lol

If the cause was due to debris in the engine getting stuck in the pump the dealership is feeding you a load of crap. There's no way its a defect with the block at this point. The part is known to fail, but most don't, so when they do fail it's back to pointing fingers at GM. They should really do something to address it but you know they won't at this point.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #41
LTRS777

Drives: 2014 Saleen 620 White Label #14-011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Well my eyes are glued to the oil pressure gauge and info center every time I start the car. If it goes I'm putting in a Melling pump and doing cam work. If I do the work myself I could save a bunch. I'm preparing myself mentally for when it goes out. At least then my girlfriends car will finally see some daily use lol

If the cause was due to debris in the engine getting stuck in the pump either the dealership is probably feeding you a load of crap. There's no way its a defect with the block at this point.
I have the same mentality. I just drive 20+ miles one way to work so I just hope I am paying attention if it happens. I wish some studies could be done ... "what oil being used, what oil filter, how many times did you change the oil upon purchase (500 miles, 1000 miles, or wait the full 10k or etc), driving conditions, etc". My dealership gave me that "you're an idiot" look when I had the oil changed at 500 and 1500 miles, but I'd rather get any new break in material out. After 10,000 miles I swapped to Amsoil Sig Series and Ea filter and although high and probably somewhat snake oil, I like the studies and figures behind it. Only time will tell if its the right choice.

Aluminum also doesn't stick to a magnet unless it has something else in it :(, but other engine debris might (but just a pure aluminum block leftover debris - again the machining theory above - I don't know if it'd help). I also would like to think of all the items to save money on, the oil pump in a 400+hp v8 engine wouldn't be what GM settles on... so yeah, definitely interesting.
'14 Saleen 620 White Label #14-011
ADM LSA Stage 1 Kit, ADM 2.75 Pulley, DEKA 63lb injectors,
ZL1 Fuel Pump, JLT 123MM Big Mouth intake, TSP 2" LTHs,
BW TB, 2.5" Catback, Scott Culbert/GEN3PERF tuned!
573WHP/557WTQ @ 10psi.
Build Thread Here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390708

LTRS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #42
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRS777 View Post
I have the same mentality. I just drive 20+ miles one way to work so I just hope I am paying attention if it happens. I wish some studies could be done ... "what oil being used, what oil filter, how many times did you change the oil upon purchase (500 miles, 1000 miles, or wait the full 10k or etc), driving conditions, etc". My dealership gave me that "you're an idiot" look when I had the oil changed at 500 and 1500 miles, but I'd rather get any new break in material out. After 10,000 miles I swapped to Amsoil Sig Series and Ea filter and although high and probably somewhat snake oil, I like the studies and figures behind it. Only time will tell if its the right choice.

Aluminum also doesn't stick to a magnet unless it has something else in it :(, but other engine debris might (but just a pure aluminum block leftover debris - again the machining theory above - I don't know if it'd help). I also would like to think of all the items to save money on, the oil pump in a 400+hp v8 engine wouldn't be what GM settles on... so yeah, definitely interesting.
I'm curious if it has to do with driving habits like short trips or not letting everything get up to operating temperature before shutting the car off. I always make sure mine is up to temp before turning it off which is ok by me since I get to drive it longer.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote