Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #29
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I called OnStar last week and cancelled my service, which i have been paying for since the trial expired. Yesterday I got the following info in an email:

We are writing to inform you that the OnStarŪ1 service plan in your 2014 Chevrolet Camaro has expired.

This means that even in an emergency, OnStar will be unable to provide you with critical services including:
Automatic Crash Response
Live, 24/7 OnStar Advisor emergency assistance
Stolen Vehicle Assistance

Moving forward, you will now be in the Basic Plan2 and have access to the following:
Select features of the RemoteLink mobile app
Advanced Diagnostics
Real time Diagnostic Alerts and monthly Diagnostics Report
Proactive Alerts (if available)
Dealer Maintenance Notification
To restore your service level, please push the blue OnStar button in your vehicle. If you would like to experience more of what OnStar has to offer, an OnStar Advisor will help you choose one of our paid service plans that best meets your needs.

So, that's what happened in my case.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #30
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1969 View Post
Anyway, does the remote start and unlock via the app still work without a paid version of OnStar? Yes

If not, what does still work? If it does, what else can be done? You can still call up OnStar with your phone and ask the car to be unlocked if you lock yourself out
See bolds.
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #31
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
If you don't subscribe they send you threatening emails about how you're not safe anymore
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #32
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCruisin View Post
See bolds.
Pretty sure you're wrong. My app stopped working as soon as my OnStar expired, and I was at least told that they would not be able to unlock my car if I called OnStar from outside of the vehicle, even if I wanted to subscribe again that I'd first have to gain access to the OnStar buttons on the mirror.

Unless this has changed, but on my 13 my onstar does nothing other than offer cops a way to turn my car off, track my car in those cars, and lights up those three buttons.

I see someone else posted they still get monthly emails, but I haven't received anything since I cancelled
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #33
Blutob2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Pretty sure you're wrong. My app stopped working as soon as my OnStar expired, and I was at least told that they would not be able to unlock my car if I called OnStar from outside of the vehicle, even if I wanted to subscribe again that I'd first have to gain access to the OnStar buttons on the mirror.

Unless this has changed, but on my 13 my onstar does nothing other than offer cops a way to turn my car off, track my car in those cars, and lights up those three buttons.

I see someone else posted they still get monthly emails, but I haven't received anything since I cancelled
Interesting because I just tried mine and it locked and unlocked the car just fine. I haven't had a subscription for 6 months. Once again the site says standard for 5 years so I would call if you want this feature for free.
Blutob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #34
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Canuck View Post
does not
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/onstar2.htm

OnStar Technology
At its most basic, OnStar consists of four different types of technology: cellular, voice recognition, GPS and vehicle telemetry. All of the services that OnStar provides are a result of one or more of these technologies working together.

GPS works in the boonies, but if there is no cell tower the car cannot report you are in an accident.

I asked the other guy why he liked the cell service since it is no different than a cell phone, needs a cell tower to work.
The main reason I have no use for OnStar
I never knew that... good to know. I just always assumed it worked by satellite. Maybe the brand name "OnStar" planted a subliminal message in my head! . I never had any intention of renewing after the trial anyway, but now I definitely won't. I have a cell phone, and my Chevy MyLink has the NAV package upgrade. The dash readout gives me engine stats, so that's no selling angle either. Sure, there are other features, but not enough to justify a minimum of $19.00 per month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:39 AM   #35
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutob2 View Post
Did they tell you 3 years over the phone because that contradicts their website.
No. I was originally told 5 years (states it in my paperwork). Then on October 5th I got an e-mail from Onstar stating that my plan had been "upgraded" with additional features but for only 3 years from the time it was applied to my account. I guess that means I have 4 years since the changes where applied on October 5th and I bought the car in July of 2014. Here's the contents of the e-mail. Am I the only one that got this?

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 12.42.17 AM.png
Views: 272
Size:  140.4 KB

Last edited by trodecke; 12-03-2015 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added contents of e-mail
trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #36
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
my trial period ended and (I may have done something) the blue/red mirror lights turned off and stayed off for about four months.
Then I have a warranty claim which I call in on landline, tow truck arrives, key into ignition and the lights come back on and have been on since.
In my attempts to turn off the connection I find that the unit has a phone number, which I find disturbing since it seems even without an active service they still have access to my car.
1Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:50 AM   #37
trodecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Are you using OnStar to remotely start your vehicle? Do you not have it on your Key Fob?
I definitely use the app to remote start my Camaro. I sit on the 6th floor of a building, on the opposite side from where my car is parked. I doubt if the remote will reach that far. I'll usually use the app to remote start my car before I leave my desk. On those summer days in Oklahoma when it's 105 outside it's really nice to have the A/C blasting for about 5 minutes before I get to the car. On the flip side, when it gets a little cooler, that auto on seat heater is really nice in the winter too. I don't leave the seat heater on but it's having the seat warmed up before I get into the car.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #38
trodecke

Quote:
This is because you have a 2013 Camaro, at least according to your profile. The extended service is for 2014 and newer Camaros. For 2014 and newer, the app continues to work, in a reduced mode, for up to 5 years from date of purchase.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 AM   #39
trodecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Canuck View Post
I find that the unit has a phone number, which I find disturbing since it seems even without an active service they still have access to my car.
They have to have a way for you to press the little blue button and renew your Onstar subscription.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #40
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
I definitely use the app to remote start my Camaro. I sit on the 6th floor of a building, on the opposite side from where my car is parked. I doubt if the remote will reach that far. I'll usually use the app to remote start my car before I leave my desk. On those summer days in Oklahoma when it's 105 outside it's really nice to have the A/C blasting for about 5 minutes before I get to the car. On the flip side, when it gets a little cooler, that auto on seat heater is really nice in the winter too. I don't leave the seat heater on but it's having the seat warmed up before I get into the car.
^This
My wife and I do exactly the same thing in each of our car and truck. I have kept My subscriptions active since 2011 mainly for this reason alone but it is nice for a few other things as well.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #41
asher628
EXPARTE'

Drives: 14 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Are you using OnStar to remotely start your vehicle? Do you not have it on your Key Fob?
I DO NOT HAVE RS ON MY FACTORY FOBS.
asher628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #42
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:

You are correct!

The app will only continue to work if you purchased a 2014 or 2015 Camaro w/o paying for OnStar for 5 years.

Not sure why it doesn't apply to pre-2014s.
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote