Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #29
lincoln361

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
Do you datalog? We can all throw out speculations but it is just speculating without data. I agree, if you are holding boost you are not belt slipping. I'd log IAT, ECT, EGT, FP, IGN Angle, and AFR. I'd guess your tuner is conservative (read: good at what he does) and the car is pulling timing hopefully just due to regularly high IATs due to weather but this is just guessing based on not data. You want to rule out any other issues that could cause component safeties (power to be pulled) as well. Once you find out the cause of the power reduction, you can go after a solution (ie, fueling, octane, added cooling, etc). Good luck!

Mike
Honestly, i don't datalog. i wouldnt know the first thing to do or to buy in order to do it. i have a spare laptop but i dont know what i would need to do it. i see alot of people do it and it probably would benefit me as well. When i spoke with my tuner it thought the same on the high iat's as well. When i had got my car tuned i made sure to tell him if my fuel pressure was enough for the power im putting down and he said yes. as far as the cooling, i wanted to put a aluminum radiator to see if that would help as well. i have a 160 thermostat that i need to install. thanks for the advice
SLP TVS 2300- 1 7/8 LG Headers- RDS NX Plate- 75 Shot- No Cats- SLP Loudmouth 2- NW102- 3.8 Pulley- OD Cog drive-12lbs boost-FIC 80# injectors-ZL1 Fuel Pump- RotoFab CAI- Apex CAI Scoop- Pat G Tune- Weld RTS drag pack- BMR Trailing Arms- BMR 1'' Drop Springs-BMR Lower Control Arms- BMR Toe Rods- BMR Rear Cradle Bushings- BMR Upper Control Arm Bushings- BMR Extreme Anti- Rollbar- Hotchkis Subframe Brace- Prosport Evo Boost & F/A Ratio
lincoln361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:12 AM   #30
lincoln361

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoChrisB View Post
Thanks, bud. You'll notice a huge different between the 555R and the Mickey. Also, when staging, I leave the ice on it, and as bad as it may sound, I run my heater. It's absolutely awful especially in 90 degree weather, but it helps. I turn the heat off when I'm staging. If you watched my video you can see I'm at the line for awhile. That's me putting the windows up and turning the heat off haha.
Anything helps, i might have to try the ice next time. i definately getting the mickey next time. i just got a good deal on these tires and i couldnt pass them up. I noticed that it did take you some time ha. i subscribed to your channel as well. i have alot of runs on mine as well.
SLP TVS 2300- 1 7/8 LG Headers- RDS NX Plate- 75 Shot- No Cats- SLP Loudmouth 2- NW102- 3.8 Pulley- OD Cog drive-12lbs boost-FIC 80# injectors-ZL1 Fuel Pump- RotoFab CAI- Apex CAI Scoop- Pat G Tune- Weld RTS drag pack- BMR Trailing Arms- BMR 1'' Drop Springs-BMR Lower Control Arms- BMR Toe Rods- BMR Rear Cradle Bushings- BMR Upper Control Arm Bushings- BMR Extreme Anti- Rollbar- Hotchkis Subframe Brace- Prosport Evo Boost & F/A Ratio
Old 08-31-2016, 11:16 AM   #31
lincoln361

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Yes yes yes! Need a little data. You might know this off the top of your head - do you remember what your coolant and oil temps looked like on those passes. Those don't come close to telling the whole story, but it gives us a little more context for evaluating the extent of your heat-soak.

Have you modified the thermostat and fan on points?
My coolant i believe was about 210 i think but pretty sure over 200 for sure. and im not certain on the engine oil temp. Still have the factory thermostat. i have the 160 just need to put it on. what coolant are you running. Dexcool 50/50?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:28 AM   #32
bhvrdr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS AT6 (L99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln361 View Post
Honestly, i don't datalog. i wouldnt know the first thing to do or to buy in order to do it. i have a spare laptop but i dont know what i would need to do it. i see alot of people do it and it probably would benefit me as well. When i spoke with my tuner it thought the same on the high iat's as well. When i had got my car tuned i made sure to tell him if my fuel pressure was enough for the power im putting down and he said yes. as far as the cooling, i wanted to put a aluminum radiator to see if that would help as well. i have a 160 thermostat that i need to install. thanks for the advice

Right on. If you enjoy doing 1/4 mile runs it really can be worth it and it can become a fun hobby datalogging. It really helps to get in touch with what is going on with the car and what can be done to improve it. It can save a lot of money that would be spent on mods that arent needed too!

I really like my TS Live unit. Its an SCT product so it can be used to program the car too but I only use it for datalogging and as a gauge package. Its a 4" touch screen and it doesnt even require a laptop be connected to log. It can also hook up a couple analog sensors such as wideband or EGT probe. Plenty of youtube videos on how to work it.

But yeah, i'd install that 160 degree t-stat (be careful in winter. I live in S FL so I use it with no issue). For a cheap mod you could also add the LPE intercooler reservoir which adds 4 liters of coolant capacity. There's aftermarket heat exchangers as well and interchillers if you limit the car to 1/4 mile track (they dont work well for road course).

Still, i'd first spend money on a datalogger so that way you dont buy a bunch of parts that may not be needed.

Mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 08-31-2016 at 11:44 AM.
bhvrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #33
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln361 View Post
My coolant i believe was about 210 i think but pretty sure over 200 for sure. and im not certain on the engine oil temp. Still have the factory thermostat. i have the 160 just need to put it on. what coolant are you running. Dexcool 50/50?
Warm for sure! 90*F ambient, 200*F+ coolant, I'd call that a really heat soaked car - so it sounds like the tune behaving like it should and pulling lots of timing to keep things alive under 12psi. Get her out on a cool night and I'm sure she'll knock your socks off compared to how she ran that day. 50/50 for a street car.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #34
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
2500 DA I'd still think you'd go at least mid 11's at 120.

Your 1/8th is not strong, 89MPH. I do 99 in my car.

Might need to log and go over shift points.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #35
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Man, those times are terrible for the mods.... Id get another tuner.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:37 PM   #36
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
Did you read the thread, or just the first post?
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:09 AM   #37
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Did you read the thread, or just the first post?
I read the thread... Dont mean to offend.

Go to another tuner and run e85. Thank me later.

Last edited by ZYBORG; 09-01-2016 at 05:19 AM.
ZYBORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #38
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
^^cocky...
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #39
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Pat g is one of the best out there. Just because he isn't on this forum doesn't mean he isn't any good. Op ask Pat what he recommends to help with the heat soak
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #40
lincoln361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
2500 DA I'd still think you'd go at least mid 11's at 120.

Your 1/8th is not strong, 89MPH. I do 99 in my car.

Might need to log and go over shift points.

10-4. know any good devices that i can use to log that are not too too expensive?
Old 09-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #41
lincoln361

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
I have no problems with my tuner. always replies when i have questions and when i told that there was a problem with my tune before, he immediately ran throught my car to make sure everything was fine. i just want to make sure if it is anything im doing wrong or any pointers that can be useful. E85 seems to be what everyone is doing right now. maybe in the future i will look into it. thanks again
Old 09-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #42
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Keeping it cool is going to make a world of difference. 210*F coolant temps idling in the staging lanes on a 90*F day with the sun out - I bet the IATs were off the chart and the car was pulling 10-15* of timing to stay safe (read - good tune, not stupid tune). That much timing amounts to LOTS of power.