Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #29
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Lol
Old 11-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #30
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Ok, I will get flamed for this so don't shoot the messenger, oh hell, flame me, I don't care.

Here is what one Powertrain engineer said at a tech session when asked about this "feature".....

"Cars are so quiet these days some people can't hear the engine well for shifting when pushing the car, so We pump some sound in for Better feedback"

True story......
Quiet my a$$. No flames Glen. I'm glad I was able to delete that tube. Totally unnecessary. Between the exhaust & the noisy a$$ run-flat tires I could hardly hear the music unless I cranked it up.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #31
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I remember early threads before the car was released saying we didn't have this stupid shit. We actually do have it then... great
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #32
Hyper16

Yeah. Really there. It is the tube that you can see between the red hoses connected to the catch-can. This was taken when the CAI was off for replacement but before the sound tube assembly was removed.

Black tube running from behind catch-can and curving around to the bottom of the CAI inlet. That entire assembly, including the tube poking it's head out like a submarine (pointing right).

Hey suzook ...... here ya go.

Name:  IMG_2438.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  233.5 KB
Attached Images

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.

Last edited by Hyper16; 11-05-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #33
central limit

Drives: 2016 1LT M6
I am not following why this tube is such a bad thing.

It's my understanding that intake sound enhancement takes three forms:

1. Simulated/recorded sound through the stereo speakers (e.g., turbo BMW, EB Mustang): I can see why people have a problem with this, as it feels like a "punt". The actual mechanical noise of the car was effectively deemed inadequate for the driving experience that the designers wanted

2. Structure-born sound caused some type of tactical transducer (e.g., VW Soundaktor): Arguably still "cheating", as an artificial sound is still being added

3. Piped in sound from the car's actual intake, a la gen 6 Camaro and 2016 Holden Commodore/SS: this is the sound of the actual intake being piped into the car. No electronics or artificially generated sound, just the natural sound of the car channeled into the cabin. I had a four cylinder car that had this and it sounded like crap. Not so with my current LGX, which many journalists have complimented, and I can only imagine the LT1/LS3 versions must sound that much better.

If the tube is piping in the natural sound of the car, why is it any worse than installing a louder exhaust, going with NPP, or a non-resonated intake? Aren't these other forms of increasing the desirable natural tones of the car for driving enjoyment?

Also not sure why it would be a source of angst. It's just a pipe that can be closed off without affecting anything. It's not adding weight, affecting performance, cooling, and hardly even aesthetics since it's small and mounted low. If you suspect you don't like what it does, the solution is simple. I'm not sure why anyone would dislike this just on principle though.

What also puzzles me is, if you didn't know it was there...why worry about it?
central limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #34
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by central limit View Post
I am not following why this tube is such a bad thing.

It's my understanding that intake sound enhancement takes three forms:

1. Simulated/recorded sound through the stereo speakers (e.g., turbo BMW, EB Mustang): I can see why people have a problem with this, as it feels like a "punt". The actual mechanical noise of the car was effectively deemed inadequate for the driving experience that the designers wanted

2. Structure-born sound caused some type of tactical transducer (e.g., VW Soundaktor): Arguably still "cheating", as an artificial sound is still being added

3. Piped in sound from the car's actual intake, a la gen 6 Camaro and 2016 Holden Commodore/SS: this is the sound of the actual intake being piped into the car. No electronics or artificially generated sound, just the natural sound of the car channeled into the cabin. I had a four cylinder car that had this and it sounded like crap. Not so with my current LGX, which many journalists have complimented, and I can only imagine the LT1/LS3 versions must sound that much better.

If the tube is piping in the natural sound of the car, why is it any worse than installing a louder exhaust, going with NPP, or a non-resonated intake? Aren't these other forms of increasing the desirable natural tones of the car for driving enjoyment?

Also not sure why it would be a source of angst. It's just a pipe that can be closed off without affecting anything. It's not adding weight, affecting performance, cooling, and hardly even aesthetics since it's small and mounted low. If you suspect you don't like what it does, the solution is simple. I'm not sure why anyone would dislike this just on principle though.

What also puzzles me is, if you didn't know it was there...why worry about it?
It is all a matter of opinion. Some like the extra noise. Some don't. To each his own.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #35
central limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
It is all a matter of opinion. Some like the extra noise. Some don't. To each his own.
I understand not liking the sound--for those few who have heard the car with and without it to recognize the difference.

What I am not following is the position of not liking this device just on principle.

Like it? Leave it.
Don't like it? Bypass it temporarily and see if you like the sound more.
Not sure if you like it or not? Drive on and be happy--no need to find stuff to worry about.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #36
Hyper16

Quote:
I understand not liking the sound--for those few who have heard the car with and without it to recognize the difference.

What I am not following is the position of not liking this device just on principle.

Like it? Leave it.
Not sure if you like it or not? Drive on and be happy--no need to find stuff to worry about.
Stick around a while and you'll see how much stuff gets bitched and moaned about. Some necessary, some not. Some real, some imagined. Everyone does it at one time or another. No worries. Just have fun.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:25 PM   #37
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:

Like it? Leave it.
it's just totally unnecessary! Clutters up the engine bay, really serves no purpose, and is another random thing thrown onto a modern car. It increases weight, albeit only slightly and gets in the way. I think the vast majority of car enthusiasts value:

Power
Handling
Braking
Comfort
MPG
Safety
Style

The sound enhancer contributes nothing to any of the above. It's unnecessary. I'll remove any and everything unnecessary that I can from the car to make it faster, handle better, and brake better - but really, this shouldnt be my job. Chevy did a great job cutting weight from this car, so why keep something like this in place?
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #38
central limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
it's just totally unnecessary! Clutters up the engine bay, really serves no purpose, and is another random thing thrown onto a modern car. It increases weight, albeit only slightly and gets in the way. I think the vast majority of car enthusiasts value:

Power
Handling
Braking
Comfort
MPG
Safety
Style

The sound enhancer contributes nothing to any of the above. It's unnecessary. I'll remove any and everything unnecessary that I can from the car to make it faster, handle better, and brake better - but really, this shouldnt be my job. Chevy did a great job cutting weight from this car, so why keep something like this in place?
Absolutely respect your choice to do the mod. It's simple enough to mess with and see if you like it on or off, though it sounds like you're pretty set on that front.

Regarding your list though, I would add excitement/satisfaction. For many enthusiasts, the following things generally contribute in this regard:

- Exhaust noise via NPP or aftermarket system
- Intake noise via this pipe and/or aftermarket system
- Rolling down the window when driving through a tunnel to hear your intake or exhaust--via far more complex hardware than the aforementioned pipe

How much does the pipe weigh? It looks like it's less than 5 pounds, maybe less than 3. It's visible enough if you know what to look for, though some in the community didn't realize it was there or are not sure where it is.

Having said all that, removing or bypassing it is simple enough that it's not worth losing sleep over. When I did this on my old car, it was necessary to buy a $160 delete kit, and in that case it was totally worth it. The stock noise pipe made that car sound like a Sea-doo

In any case, best of luck with your solution. For what it's worth, I believe the heater/weatherizing plug should be a good solution for the hole on the intake tract, and it might not matter what you do with the hole going into the firewall, as it probably (hopefully) doesn't open into the cabin.

As much as my previous post talked about not finding things to worry about, it's also not worth letting a small thing prevent you from enjoying your car.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:51 AM   #39
Jimtasteek

Drives: S197 Mustang
I was told by a Chevy representative that the 6th gen has noise-cancelling technology for the cabin at play in Tour mode, which deactivates in Sport or Track. Could this be related?
Jimtasteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #40
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
Ok, so basically, I can surely remove the entire thing - and then the only parts I need to address are capping the hole left in the intake tube, and plugging the hole in the firewall?
Yes...pull it all out...does nothing but carry the sound through the firewall. Just get the "rubber plug" as I noted, they are easy to shove in the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet435 View Post
The metal plug was to in the intake tube not the sound tube end right?
I forget at this point. The metal one in the intake sounds about right...I would still plug the hole to the stupid sound tube as well or take the tube out and plug the hole going to the firewall.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #41
Hyper16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimtasteek View Post
I was told by a Chevy representative that the 6th gen has noise-cancelling technology for the cabin at play in Tour mode, which deactivates in Sport or Track. Could this be related?
You were misinformed. It does not deactivate in Sport or Track mode. It is just a tube. There is no valve to control it. It is always "ON".

Old 11-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #42
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone would dislike this just on principle though.
Because on principle it makes you think you've got more performance - or that you're using more of what is there - than is actually the case.

Basically, you're being "gamed", manipulated to the mfr's advantage by trickery, been taken advantage of, suckered even.

Norm