Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 AM   #29
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Lookin forward to pix because I am looking to get some pedder's as well.

I'm still undecided which route I'll go for certain.. But I really like both 19's and 22's looks wise..

Seeing your set up and others such as Indo's with his 22's is helpful looks wise. And I suppose I got the feedback I Was looking for in regards to function..

Seems like what I am understanding from the general consensus is that from a performance standpoint, although still possible to get good results with a larger setup... It's "easier" done with smaller setups.

This info was more out of curiosity as I won't be "racing" but, any sort of performance gain on the road is always going to help out in the case that something happens which a better handling vehicle would perhaps make the difference between missing something by an inch and nailing something ( or getting hit by it ) or just maintaining as much control of the vehicle as possible without harming it..

So I guess if I do go large, I'll try and go the light-weight route that indo went, and if I go smaller well, shaving off the size will do that for me.

Cheaper wheels/tires for smaller sizes is a plus too..

Gotta say though, since I'm kind of 50 50 on the fence in regards to looks neither route would be a sacrifice or a compromise for me in the looks department. (I love both) I may in the long run end up headin the 19's route just for the extra more practical benefits it has + the ease of finding a light weight smaller wheel over light weight larger.

I appreciate and respect that a big wheel can be light, but that limits style, I think it may be hard to get the style I want in a lighter wheel at a decent cost.

PS I guess with all my looks ranting now I'm kind of going against the grain in regards to what I wanted out of this post... but I think I already got what I wanted anyways..

I may be completely over-thinking things since I wont even be racing or anything and all this wheel consideration might be over-kill for my needs.... hehe

Anyways thanks again to everyone who contributed. and for the record Indo , I think your/your wifes car turned out fantastic as well ! Loved the wheels yall went with as well as the stance.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #30
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I don't know what your budget is but check into prices for both rims and tires for the sizes you're thinking of; that may help make up your mind. Bigger and lighter gets very expensive fast. Bigger and cheaper gets very heavy fast; some of those big rims weigh 45-50 lbs just for the rim, especially if they have chrome. Now put a 35-40 lb tire on it and you're looking at 80-90 lbs each instead of the 62-67 lbs for the stock setup. Adding 20 lbs of unsprung rotational weight per corner like that has the same effect as adding 400 lbs of sprung weight to the car.

So check into the costs of any sizes or styles you're considering and if you're going bigger, find out the weights first. Rule of thumb is for wheels multiply the weight times 20 to get the difference plus or minus in sprung weight compared to the stock wheels.

I saw a guy yesterday in a new black Challenger who looked like he had 24's; huge chromed rims stuffed into his wheel wells and the edges were flush with the outside edge of the wheel well. Tires were very wide, looked like he had 315's in the back, and he was lowered... couldn't have been an inch if that between tire and the edge of the wheel well. I'm sitting on the main road in the left turn lane and I see him coming down from the cross road; I can hear him revving his engine when he gets closer and is looking at me. There was some minor street work going on in that intersection and the road was a bit choppy. He comes through in front of me, hits that road surface and bottoms those tires out hard against the body. I heard it inside my car it was that loud and I can imagine how it sounded in his car. He pulls over immediately and gets out and was inspecting his rear tires and that was the last I saw as the light turned green and I left. I bet he ruined at least one and probably both rear tires, but I'm sure in his mind he was looking "badass" right up until he hit that intersection. 315 wide tires in a 24" size and I'm guessing a 25 profile aren't cheap. That "badass" moment probably cost him about $1,000. Things like that can really kill the enjoyment of modding if you don't know what you're doing or what it can cost you.

Show car looks work if the car is just sitting on carpet with people admiring it but that look may not work so well on real roads under real driving conditions. A lot of people new to all this can make a lot of expensive mistakes if they don't think it through first. If you go big and wide, don't go past the inside edge of the fender well so you have room for the tire if the wheels move upward suddenly. That guy was probably going about 30 when he came through that intersection; had he been flying through there like most people do, around 50 or so he could have easily blown those tires and lost control of the car. Don't sacrifice safety and reliability just to try and stuff another inch of tire on the car because you like the way it looks.

The costs are more than just the initial cost of the purchase; there's other related costs caused by the changes. Bigger and heavier works the shocks much harder and heats them up a lot more; they'll wear out a lot sooner as a result. Brake pads and rotors will wear much faster trying to stop that extra weight.

When planning your mod think ahead about the costs and whatever related costs that mod might create. Budget accordingly. By thinking it through and planning ahead, your expectations of the costs and results won't become a casualty of reality and you should enjoy it much more.

Let us know what you decide and post pics when done.
GOOD INFO!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #31
kelleyperformance

Drives: DD- 15' Chevy SS Sedan
how can a wheel, regardless of wheel diameter, with the same overall weight, hieght, and MORE surface area on the ground with a softer compound- possilbly be "just for looks" and "not for the performance minded"...?? i agree, to each his own, but its not correct to make statements like those.

now of course there are plenty of ways a larger tire and wheel can decrease performance and handling... but it doesnt have to. if i put one piece cast 22x10's with heavy, taller tires- my performance and handling would suffer noticablly. but most of us in here are talking forged 3 peice designs, same overal diameter... with the same or less weight than the OE 20s. only differences i can think of, are positive if your "performance minded". i wouldnt put wheels on my tahoe and keep a fear in mind of reducing peak lateral acceleration, obviously. its a 5k+ lb truck with 300 hp... but my wheels on my camaro are not only no heavier than stock, but have more surface contact with the ground, and are about .2 of an inch shorter overall.

to answer your orignal post questions- the ride of my car wasnt noticablly effected, and is also lowered with eibach springs. the car rides great. however, road noise was increased slightly, but thats due to the tire im running. as far as im concerned, unless your going to take all your seats out and start competitively racing on a track every weekend... go off of personal preference and dont listen to all the supposed negative things said in here or other places. its funny, at shows and anywhere else i get nothing but compliments on my camaro, from all age groups. but at the drag strip, everyone with f-bodies and mustangs give me bad looks... the thing i find amusing about it is, i didnt run any times to brag about for a stock LS3. but i ran okay enough to put a lead of .4-.5 seconds between the SRT8 challangers, mustangs and some other camaros. also have an 06 silverado with ONE peice, cast 24x10s. they are heavy. it runs 11s, on the 24s. on its nitto DRs it runs .1" faster.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #32
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
No rubber bands for me thanks. Now if ONLY I could find some tires with white lettering >.<
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #33
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal View Post
Your question is problematic because the only reason to go with wheels that large is because you like the look. There's not some unbiased pros and cons to compare them with, the smaller wheels will give you a better ride with better performance, just make sure you can get around those Brembo's and you're good to go.
actually the ride with my 22's is the same as with the 20's.i actually put my wheels on and drove around and forgot the 22's were on, thats how similar it was. there was literally no difference. even after the pedders was installed, it was lower but it still maintaned the same ride as stock.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote