Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #29
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ4492 View Post
Also thinking about get a fast lsx intake manifold would I need headers as a supporting mod for one.
Use the money else where, no need for a fast intake, the stock one will support everything you need good look on your build
Old 01-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #30
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Ditto on the fast intake. Not needed at that power.

I would also argue the TB doesnt add power at the level you are speaking.

Best bang for the buck in the beginning is the tune. My car made 365rwhp WITH headers, cai and tune as the only mods

Every dyno is different, but i think 370 is asking alot without at least shorties.

At the same time, a stock L99 is fun, Tuned L99 is awesome.

If you are EVER going to change headers, smarter to do the tune afterwards.....I recommend both with the CAI.

Just my .02

As to your question... I would guess 20-40rwhp gain over stock with CAI and pro dyno tune. It would feel like alot more because of the transmission tuning.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #31
JMJ4492

Drives: Nothing yet
I spoke with the owner of slowhawk performance which is an unbelievable lsx speed shop around my way. He said headers will be fine with cats. He said headers and cats tuned/ installed will run me $2100, which I think is great. I'm hoping with the cai and cat-back I'll be around 380-390 rwhp. Now do cat backs do alot for these cars performance wise or should I hold off on doing it and just get an axel back?
JMJ4492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #32
Dylan1214

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
OP just port + mod your stock intake. If you dont wanna do it yourself check out GPI.

https://gwatneyperformance.com/product/ls3-intake-mod/
MODS: GPI MAX Package ported and milled heads+(229/250,111 LSA),Johnson 2110 Lifters,BTR .660 Springs,CHE Trunnions,C5R chain,DSX Flex Fuel kit,LSA Injectors,ZL1 Fuel Pump,MAMO Ported MSD Intake manifold,BOWhite ported Throttle body,25% UDP,CAI Intake,Intake Scoop,Kooks 1 7/8 headers,Borla attak catback,Elite catch can,BMR Motor mounts,CircleD 5C 4000-4200 Torque converter,ADM trans cooler,Jannetty Trans dipstick,DSS Aluminum Driveshaft,3.91 Gears,Eaton TrueTrac,JRE Billet caps,BMR Trailing arms,BMR Toe rods,BMR rear sway bar,Pegasus Solid sub frame bushings,DSS 1,000HP Axles
Dylan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 PM   #33
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
I spoke with the owner of slowhawk performance which is an unbelievable lsx speed shop around my way. He said headers will be fine with cats. He said headers and cats tuned/ installed will run me $2100, which I think is great. I'm hoping with the cai and cat-back I'll be around 380-390 rwhp. Now do cat backs do alot for these cars performance wise or should I hold off on doing it and just get an axel back?
You wont get that much rwhp. Bolton l99s usually run 365 375 rwhp.....maybe inching to 380 but i havnt seen that number much.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 AM   #34
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Catback doesnt do much for performance.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:42 AM   #35
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Yeah, saying Maro is cringe worthy, my bad lol. I wish I could get a nice set of lts, but I will never be able to pass inspection in liberal Assachusetts. I'm also considering an auto coyote, but I'm a gm guy and can't imagine driving a Ford. I am just looking for a fun car I can thrash around in the summer. I wish I could get a stick, but a drunk driver hit me when I had my cts-v and my left knee is toast. What numbers do you think I will see with those mods, if you don't mind answering.
As a lifetime Ford enthusiast. Buy the Camaro. LS beats anything for your goals. I don't about power, I care about long term performance and reliability per dollar, the days of the tpi 350 and (original) ford 302 are long gone. I drive more than anyone I know, I needed a commuter that would (hopefully) take 200,000 miles of high speed freeway driving. Horsepower was irrelevant for me, both cars are quick, yet both are very slow compared to the motorcycles. I wanted a car I could enjoy with a stock engine and minor suspension modifications.

My $.02 is that 20 extra horsepower won't help you keep up around a track, but better handling can save seconds off a lap time, plus better handling improves safety.

I too have a painful left knee due to being strategically hit on a motorcycle at 120 MPH. I'm in a constant state of pain. I got the 6-speed and have knee issues only if I get stuck stopped in traffic for over 30 minutes, I have no regrets. I love it and can lug the car down to 4-5 MPH on flat. I use 50% ankle to move the clutch anyways, as others have said it is very light. This is a very liveable clutch aside from the HIGH engagement point.

Which car has a better transmission? If you plan to beat it, remember that all automatics are ticking time bombs.

Also consider insurance rates, I am paying less than 50% of what a mustang costs to insure, allowing me to afford a 2015 Camaro SS instead of a 2010-2012 or high mileage Mustang GT at a similar monthly cost. The Camaro has pretty good crash safety compared to the other pony cars as well. The SS camaro was the CHEAPEST car to insure that I was willing to finance. Check and see, also compare with and without vehicle tracking.

I'm leaving my drive train stock and focusing on handling. Already have 275's all around and the car oversteers nicely with a touch of throttle input and 3 year old old rear tires. We'll see how it feels after I burn these off and have more rear traction, but it drives great for being stock.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:50 AM   #36
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
According to RonTammy (sp?) he had a trans tune and over it.
Then he went to a 3.91 screw (~20% RW torque increase) and was
Finally added a 3200 (IIRC) stall. Now he's
Great for the strip but not so much for track days.
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 PM   #37
TWOFORTYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryfied View Post
Great for the strip but not so much for track days.
My crown victoria had somewhere between 2750 and 2900rpm stall and was very driveable. This is actually the OEM spec for the P71 package. A 3200RPM stall torque converter should be fine unless you tow with the car.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #38
JMJ4492

Thanks for the replies guys, I will deff be happy with 360-380rwhp considering my g35xs make 242 and 230 tq and weighs about 200 pounds heavier. Also I want to do a tb for the better responsiveness when it comes to acceleration, now whether I should go with a ported tb or go with a bigger one is the question.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #39
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
My crown victoria had somewhere between 2750 and 2900rpm stall and was very driveable. This is actually the OEM spec for the P71 package. A 3200RPM stall torque converter should be fine unless you tow with the car.
This is true......its perfect on the street. Drives just like stock until you decide to get on it. 391 gears help for sure.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #40
TWOFORTYZ

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I will deff be happy with 360-380rwhp considering my g35xs make 242 and 230 tq and weighs about 200 pounds heavier. Also I want to do a tb for the better responsiveness when it comes to acceleration, now whether I should go with a ported tb or go with a bigger one is the question.
Large throttle body will give you more CFM at a given open %, which will greatly increase throttle response. I would either get a larger throttle body or a tune, because the throttle does not open fully at all RPM's and has a slight delay with OEM programming. Either one should make a huge difference.

This is my first car with drive by wire, it certainly lags but will react 90% of the time when you blip the throttle unlike a Toyota Tacoma where you can slap the pedal to the floor repeatedly without so much as a wiggle of the tachometer... Stock throttle response is barely acceptable compared to any drive by cable vehicle, but no worse than most modern junk.

From my experience with all other vehicles, porting will have little or no effect on throttle response, only high flow/high load situations will show the difference. Unless these throttle bodies are ported specifically to improve low opening % flow, I see little difference to be had here.

I still suggest to max out your vehicles potential before wasting money. Why do you believe you need more power and better throttle response from a vehicle you have not yet bought?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #41
JMJ4492

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
Large throttle body will give you more CFM at a given open %, which will greatly increase throttle response. I would either get a larger throttle body or a tune, because the throttle does not open fully at all RPM's and has a slight delay with OEM programming. Either one should make a huge difference.

This is my first car with drive by wire, it certainly lags but will react 90% of the time when you blip the throttle unlike a Toyota Tacoma where you can slap the pedal to the floor repeatedly without so much as a wiggle of the tachometer... Stock throttle response is barely acceptable compared to any drive by cable vehicle, but no worse than most modern junk.

From my experience with all other vehicles, porting will have little or no effect on throttle response, only high flow/high load situations will show the difference. Unless these throttle bodies are ported specifically to improve low opening % flow, I see little difference to be had here.

I still suggest to max out your vehicles potential before wasting money. Why do you believe you need more power and better throttle response from a vehicle you have not yet bought?
I just want my Camaro to be faster then the ctsv I had which I loved but never got to build since I got hit by a drunk driver
Old 01-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #42
TWOFORTYZ

Quote:
I just want my Camaro to be faster then the ctsv I had which I loved but never got to build since I got hit by a drunk driver
I see nothing wrong with that. Find one with a supercharger? They are the same price as stock cars. I found one with the edelbrock supercharger kit while shopping recently with around 20,000 miles for $24,000 and it had swaybars and coilovers as well... It did not feel much faster than stock and was still a dog compared to my motorcycles. I think it must have been damaged, or else I would have bought it.