Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #29
rsimons

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublemc View Post
So I hooked up a boost gauge today and it does show between 6-8lbs of boost. I guess it is working but I'm definitely not impressed. No supercharger whine like I'm used to and definitely not a significant power increase like I was expecting. To be honest I'm pretty disappointed. I would have definitely gone a different route if I knew this was what I was going to end up with. It's not much of a difference before the supercharger install. It wont even burn rubber in first gear with bald tires unless I dump the clutch!... Yes I'm running the can tune from Edelbrock. I have it scheduled for the dyno late next week. I live in bfe Montana so have to travel pretty far for a somewhat reputable tuner...
It sounds like the supercharger is working properly, however, the Edelbrock provided calibration does not support long tube headers and or removal of the catalytic converters.

These cars run in open loop fueling at wide open throttle. Adding headers will change airflow characteristics and therefore should be custom tuned on a dyno while monitoring air fuel ratio.

Airflow through the engine likely increased with the addition of headers. More air needs more fuel. If the engine is seeing a lean condition, it could be causing the knock sensors to pull timing reducing engine power.
rsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #30
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
What really sucks I owned my Camaro since new and finally paid it off last year. Instead of trading it in on a zl1 I decided to save up and supercharger it. I'm not rich or wealthy by any means so 7k was alot of money to me. I never thought I would be disappointed with this Edelbrock sc kit like I am. What can I do now? Not like it's k Mart n can take it back!! Now I have to spend a bunch more money on pulleys, tune and whatever else to get it where I want. Don't get me wrong, the Edelbrock kit is quality parts and looks great. I just don't agree that it performs like they claim it does
Perhaps I missed it, (forgive me if I did) but did you have it dyno tuned after installation? If not then have it done. If so, what kind of numbers do you make. Mine (with LTH) made 520 and 502 respectively at 5.5lbs. The car is definitely a different animal now.

Last edited by UBB; 05-08-2018 at 11:41 AM.
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #31
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I installed my E-Force in Sept. of 2010 after it was a year old. used the Edelbrock tune, but had a dyno tune 2 weeks later. The E-Force supercharger is made for a completely stock motor, no mods at all. With the dyno tune I made 542/rwhp and 520/rwtq. It was running out of fuel at 6500 rpm, so the tuner reduced the limiter to 6000rpm. 6 months later I added a ZL1 fuel pump and 72# injectors. Retuned to tuner and rev limiter to 6500. I'm getting 6-8# of boast. It breaks the tires loose in first and second gear at half throttle. Mine has a safe tune, nothing radical.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #32
Troublemc

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss, 1998 Corvette 6.0
I'm using the Edelbrock tune (sct) at the moment. I have it scheduled for Dyno tuning at the end of next week. I understand the dyno tuning will definitely help, just can't see it making a huge increase like I expected. I could be wrong though! If the tune from Edelbrock was way off I would think my car would run like crap now. It doesn't, it idles fine, no miss, no engine light, nothing strange happening.
Troublemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #33
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I'm using the Edelbrock tune (sct) at the moment. I have it scheduled for Dyno tuning at the end of next week. I understand the dyno tuning will definitely help, just can't see it making a huge increase like I expected. I could be wrong though! If the tune from Edelbrock was way off I would think my car would run like crap now. It doesn't, it idles fine, no miss, no engine light, nothing strange happening.
The difference in the tune from Edlebrock and the dyno tune you will get done isn't going to have any changes in idle rpm/spark at idle. the tuning and recalibration is going to happen in the upper RPM range where AFR is going to need adjustment due to more air moving through because of your headers. more air means more fuel as stated above.

I have trouble believing the issue is coming from there as you would be getting so many codes and a reduced engine power warning on the dash if you were falling off on your AFR tables at WOT. get it to a tuner, let him look over your install, get it re-tuned, enjoy the power bump.

IMO I would go ahead and get the ZL1 fuel pump and some larger injectors, mine SUCKED without it.
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #34
Troublemc

Quick question, if the Edelbrock tune didn't download correctly into my car would I know it? Like engine light come on or not run well or something?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #35
LETHAL2SS

Quote:
Quick question, if the Edelbrock tune didn't download correctly into my car would I know it? Like engine light come on or not run well or something?
I'm really no expert, but i think if you've gone out and ran it up into the RPM's and driven more than 50 mi. it would throw a code because it wouldn't have any fuel left, But I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable enough to answer accurately.
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #36
rsimons

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
The supercharger kit comes with upgraded fuel injectors. The car would not run well on the factory tune and likely throw rich codes.

That said, I imagine the car will eventually throw catalyst performance codes since you removed them.
rsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #37
race24x

Drives: 80 Z28 - 93 Z28 - 14 Camaro SS-RS
At normal driving at idle etc your not in the boost so I dont think it would throw a code or do anything like that, again I have limited knowledge. This is just from my common sense. I am new to this too and same first feelings about my supercharger. Luckily I have a friend with a ZL1 so if I cant get by him I will be pissed LOL I should be making about 30HP more than him and lighter.
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #38
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
At normal driving at idle etc your not in the boost so I dont think it would throw a code or do anything like that, again I have limited knowledge. This is just from my common sense. I am new to this too and same first feelings about my supercharger. Luckily I have a friend with a ZL1 so if I cant get by him I will be pissed LOL I should be making about 30HP more than him and lighter.
He'll probably be able to get his to the ground better though if you're still stock
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #39
Troublemc

Ok so engine light just came on. Codes p0137 and p0157 which are the 2 rear o2 sensors. The new headers and straight pipes only came with a spot for the front o2 sensors. I just plugged in the rear o2 sensors and zip tied them to the trans cross member (I know not very professional). Would that have anything to do with the low power? Also I forgot to mention about the air intake assembly. I had a k&n cold air intake on the car before the supercharger. So instead of going back to the factory air box I cut down the k&n intake tube to make it work. Basically I shortened the tube by cutting it with a sawzaw around the maf sensor. Came out really nice and don't think it would have anything to do with the low power but thought I would put it out there for opinions
Old 05-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #40
LETHAL2SS

You just need to go get tuned at this point, you have way too many variables for that car to keep up with on a factory or sct canned tune. that ECU is freaking the f out right now.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #41
Troublemc

Ok makes sense, thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #42
Troublemc

I also talked to Dyno Steve like some of u guys said. He definitely knows his stuff but can't do a tune over the phone... I have a appointment for the only Dyno tuning shop around for next weekend. Shops name is D and D customs in polson, Montana. I'm nervous though, he doesn't have any reviews and I don't know anyone who took there car to him for tuning. He says he has done a few tunes on forced induction LS cars but who knows. Trust is earned not given and I don't know this guy. Only other option is load the car up and trailer it to Seattle which is about 15 hours away one way! There's some reputable shops out there... Any opinions or suggestions on what I should do?