Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #29
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Any of the CARB kits will probably be fairly low power overall...but I'd expect the headline numbers to be similar whether Roots or Centri.

So with overall power being lower...you then want to look to the spread of power/torque. And that's where the Roots will win, because it will add lots of torque from any rpm, right to redline. Whereas the centri will make more power/torque gradually as rpm's rise.

As it is always mentioned, area under the curve here, the Roots will most likely offer more.

If it is a system where options are free, and not restricted then of course choices may be very different. But IMO for a low powered power adder option where you cannot modify it etc....The Roots will be a damn good choice.

And I'm sure any alleged heat issues can easily be addressed without affecting the CARB aspect. Whether through larger air/water cooler, or one of those interchiller type devices.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #30
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZTOPZZZ View Post
Never said anything like that. I was talking about more bang for the buck on a street car as in everyday driver. FWIW there's a little bit more there than the blower.
Yes i see you have "long pipes" and a maxed out zl1 pump. Great build. Keep it up.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #31
ZZZTOPZZZ

Drives: 2013 L99 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
Yes i see you have "long pipes" and a maxed out zl1 pump. Great build. Keep it up.
You act like a little kid with a big mouth driving daddy's car. BTW, there is no such thing as an "entry level" Procharger. Would you classify $6400 a kit, sans labor, entry level? I'm thinking you're probably wishing that you went the other way. Also, in a few weeks my cam will be in along with the ported and drag milled heads. To any and all who read this, I have absolutely no animosity toward anyone who has a turbo.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #32
stevieturbo

Quote:
You act like a little kid with a big mouth driving daddy's car. BTW, there is no such thing as an "entry level" Procharger. Would you classify $6400 a kit, sans labor, entry level? I'm thinking you're probably wishing that you went the other way. Also, in a few weeks my cam will be in along with the ported and drag milled heads. To any and all who read this, I have absolutely no animosity toward anyone who has a turbo.
The P1 is without question entry level, it's the smallest unit they do.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #33
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
The P1 is without question entry level, it's the smallest unit they do.
Okay and what ever you say as you seem to be the resident authority on forced induction here on this board.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #34
stevieturbo

So you think they offer a lesser model ?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #35
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
So you think they offer a lesser model ?
That's not the way it works. My Procharger is more or less for a daily driver or street machine. It puts out about 8 psi at this point in time. To go with more psi would risk taking a stock piston or rod out or tearing up the stock transmission and/or rear end. After the cam and heads mods, I'm going to have to do some work on the rear suspension at it stands. Why don't you head over to the Procharger site and check things out for yourself or give them a call.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:17 AM   #36
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Lightbulb

I highly recommend installing a centrifugal style supercharger like Procharger or Vortech as they don’t suffer from the heat soak issues like the positive displacement superchargers do like the Magunson or KenneBell etc. do. There are pros and cons to both the positive displacement/roots type superchargers and the centrifugal type supercharger. I ran a Procharger P1SC Stage 2 on my 2002 Camaro SS with a LS3 swap and I am happy I went with centrifugal type supercharger as I did not run into serious traction issues like I would have with a positive displacement supercharger. Also with the Procharger P1SC Stage 2 it ran very cool actually for a centrifugal supercharger because of the front mount inter cooler they use with their supercharger kits. Only other cooling mod I had was a Fluidyne 3 row aluminum radiator which helped a lot with lowering coolant temperature. I never upgraded my rear end and stock bottom end LS3 held on fine with the Procharger P1SC Stage 2 supercharger kit but,do understand this is a entry level supercharger kit. The Procharger D1SC unit is a very nice upgrade to the Procharger P1SC unit.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #37
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
lol

My "base kit" did 800+. Yours made as much as a cam only M6 (only assuming since you havent given us any numbers/slips) and you paid more than i did. I'm literally not mad lol. The least you could have done was get yourself a D1. Guys making great power with those and they dont talk nearly as much as you do.

Im 28 with 2 kids and a mortgage. Did my install in my garage on jack stands to save some money. Everybody in here has bills, buddy.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #38
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Yes. It is entry level. But it's perfect for people who are happy with a fun street car.

It always shocks me when guys spend $1000 on CNC'ing the (already good) LS3 head in a boosted application.

$1000 cnc job plus shipping, head bolts, gaskets...for 20whp
OR
$100 pulley for 30-50whp

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #39
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
lol

Guys making great power with those and they dont talk nearly as much as you do.
You seem to have taken the spotlight when it come to talking, "buddy".
Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #40
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
Yes. It is entry level. But it's perfect for people who are happy with a fun street car.

It always shocks me when guys spend $1000 on CNC'ing the (already good) LS3 head in a boosted application.

$1000 cnc job plus shipping, head bolts, gaskets...for 20whp
OR
$100 pulley for 30-50whp
I supposed I need to agree on the "entry level" remark. I'll be 79 in a few more months and I'll confess that I'm not as "hip" as some of the younger people here on these issues. The question of reworking the heads was a decision we made because the top side of the block is going to be torn down anyway with the cam install and DoD elimination kit for the L99. No shipping involved as the heads will be reworked in a shop just a few doors down. The head bolts, gaskets, etc., are already accounted for as part of the cam installation. But you are correct, it's still a little expensive. Also, as to the "level" of the Procharger when it was installed, I could have put anything in there that I wanted but went with advice of my local speed shop.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:38 PM   #41
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
A guy needs a bullet proof vest to enter this thread . . .

Go ProCharger
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 AM   #42