Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
Sounds like I may have been over-reacting. I'll see how it goes when I do my "normal" driving and see if this becomes an issue. If it is, I'll get the CAGS eliminator.

Thanks guys, for setting me straight!!
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #30
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The thing is that if it is physically possible to control the gear selection manually in such a way as to beat the guzzler tax, then why not just do the testing while operating the transmission in the most efficient manner?

To drive my point home, I'll ask why they don't have a throttle limiter feature on all cars to prevent people from making inefficient jackrabbit starts. Flooring the throttle all the time is inefficient and pollutes the air and they don't force all companies to put a restrictor on the throttle, so WHY do they put one on the Camaro's transmission?
CAGS forces EPA testers to do something they wouldn't normally do to save gas.....shift from 1-4. Nobody in their right mind does that normally. But they save xxx amount of gas doing so, thereby improving their EPA city MPG rating.

GM can't just tell the EPA people "we want a higher city MPG rating so don't drive normally, shift into 4th from first." For it to be valid, it has to be an installed feature.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #31
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
CAGS forces EPA testers to do something they wouldn't normally do to save gas.....shift from 1-4. Nobody in their right mind does that normally. But they save xxx amount of gas doing so, thereby improving their EPA city MPG rating.

GM can't just tell the EPA people "we want a higher city MPG rating so don't drive normally, shift into 4th from first." For it to be valid, it has to be an installed feature.
I still say that if there's a "technique" to driving a car to save gas then that's how the car should be driven when EPA testing. By your example, you are going to pin your mileage figures on what a test person considers "normal". Maybe "normal" acceleration is different from one guy to another? How do you judge "normal"? Maybe "normal" for the Camaro is to skip shift when you want to save gas. You put a "how to save gas" instruction in the owners manual and instruct the testers to follow the recommendations and all is well.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #32
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
I still say that if there's a "technique" to driving a car to save gas then that's how the car should be driven when EPA testing. By your example, you are going to pin your mileage figures on what a test person considers "normal". Maybe "normal" acceleration is different from one guy to another? How do you judge "normal"? Maybe "normal" for the Camaro is to skip shift when you want to save gas. You put a "how to save gas" instruction in the owners manual and instruct the testers to follow the recommendations and all is well.
You're talking about a government entity. They will make use of all 6 gears in their testing of a vehicle unless the vehicle prevents it. These vehicles, in situations of less than 20% throttle with the engine at normal operating temperature, prevents it. If we went by your standard, all car manufacturers could just put in their manuals "start in third gear and use less than 20% throttle to save gas" and everyone would make CAFE standards.

Stop being ridiculous. Getting rid of CAGS is a 5 dollar solenoid or a 20 dollar plug in. I'll take that over a 1000 dollar gas guzzler tax.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #33
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
My Vette has it and I can not wait to get rid of it. Its a pain. I bought the car to go through the gears, I don't give a crap about gas milage.
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #34
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
I've read the ferrari F430 which comes with an automated manual, gets EPA tested in the automatic mode because it's much harder to certify the mileage of a manual car.

The EPA would drive the car in the way that seems fit to them. And when they put the mandatory 1-4 gearshift in the computer, it means that they can "guarantee" everyone will get that. Even though it's easy to get around it's a pretty simple way of foolling the EPA. Or assuring the rating of their car.

And yes, of course normal is different from person to person. But the EPA has their own test procedures and they have changed from 06 to 07. Which explains why cars who got 17 mpg in 06 got 15 in 07. So it's not one guy who determines what's normal for a test, it's the EPA itself.

Seriously, how is this not obvious information?

If they simply put a "how to save gas" reccomendation, then they wouldn't have any assurance anyone would do that. They'd just say "Well, it says to do this, but we're going to shift like the trans tells us to." Which is 1-2-3-4. Because it's not mandatory to shift 1-4.

Edit: Oh yeah, and just like you said, there IS a technique to driving the car for getting the best MPG. It's called the skipshift.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #35
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I've read the ferrari F430 which comes with an automated manual, gets EPA tested in the automatic mode because it's much harder to certify the mileage of a manual car.

The EPA would drive the car in the way that seems fit to them. And when they put the mandatory 1-4 gearshift in the computer, it means that they can "guarantee" everyone will get that. Even though it's easy to get around it's a pretty simple way of foolling the EPA. Or assuring the rating of their car.

And yes, of course normal is different from person to person. But the EPA has their own test procedures and they have changed from 06 to 07. Which explains why cars who got 17 mpg in 06 got 15 in 07. So it's not one guy who determines what's normal for a test, it's the EPA itself.

Seriously, how is this not obvious information?

If they simply put a "how to save gas" reccomendation, then they wouldn't have any assurance anyone would do that. They'd just say "Well, it says to do this, but we're going to shift like the trans tells us to." Which is 1-2-3-4. Because it's not mandatory to shift 1-4.

Edit: Oh yeah, and just like you said, there IS a technique to driving the car for getting the best MPG. It's called the skipshift.

So.... what you say makes sense except that GM jumped through hoops to make it hard to defeat the system (you have to buy a part to 'fool' the computer into thinking you have it hooked up).

I think if they had any sense they would put a menu on the DIC that lets you "adjust" the settings for some of these nanny systems. Make it so you can turn the thing off and have it remember the setting if you so choose.

What do the rest of you guys think of that?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i dont get it, why is it so bad to have a skip shift thing? Learn2Shift?
its not just learning how to shift. its learning how to drive/shift so it isnt activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-er View Post
Yeah, but it's a lot bigger RPM drop between 1-4.
true, but when you look at the reason that it was installed...

city driving.

how often do you see people gun it from a stop just to get to 20-30 mph, and then just let off and coast to the next light?

Quote:

another thing to keep in mind is that 90% of dealer window stickers have the mpg rating, then in smaller letters it says "most drivers will achieve XXmpg" and most times its a higher number than the EPA rating
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #37
lakestar

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have the skip shift on my 95 corvette, I tried it for about two weeks and it drove me crazy, I'd relax and forget about it, then get blocked out of 2nd, and my brain would do 1/4 second freak. I probably could have gotten used to it after several months if it was critical, but it wasn't. I happily installed the $20 third party kit to disable it after 2 weeks. There is also an indicator light to show when to skip shift and that is still enabled, so if you are going for fuel economy, the system still helps you out.
lakestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #38
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine
Hmmm. Never had the pleasure of enjoying the supposed benefits of CAGS when I had my '95 Z28; for some odd reason even though the skip shift light would come on at a certain speed/rev range in 1st under light throttle, I was still able use 2nd or 3rd gear, though on some occasions I humored the light and shifted into 4th. I wasn't particularly pleased with the results. Seems the previous owner didn't care too much for CAGS and quite possibly took some steps to render it nonfunctional. Can't really blame him.

Hopefully the 2010 Camaro's CAGS will be similarly easy to defeat.

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #39
69er

Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
I wonder if the light can be disabled. HA! Pull the bulb!
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #40
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
The skip shift feature was added so the car itself would not get a gas guzzler tax. Simple as that. It's not the end of the world having it.

Personally, I'd much rather pay the $20 for the bypass (like I did) and literally spend 3 minutes installing it, than having to pay thousands towards a gas guzzler tax w/ no skip shift.

If it has the skip shift, just buy the SSE and be done with it!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #41
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
another thing to keep in mind is that 90% of dealer window stickers have the mpg rating, then in smaller letters it says "most drivers will achieve XXmpg" and most times its a higher number than the EPA rating
Not me... If you divide by 2 and subtract 3, that's about my average...
I don't have stock in Exxon, they have stock in me
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #42
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
Not me... If you divide by 2 and subtract 3, that's about my average...
I don't have stock in Exxon, they have stock in me
lol

rule #1 in saving gas.... a light foot.

but i should have added that the small wording for the actual MPG is usually anywhere from 4+/- mpg
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote