Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #29
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I had a 99 Grand Am. . . biggest POS car I ever owned. . . rusted through and started falling about with only 60k on it.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
no , pontiac shouldn't come back. it sucks, but there's no room for the extra brands anymore. Buick is now doing well, has a better defined status. Chevy's the entry brand, and Cadillac is on top.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #31
OrangeFury
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2010 IOM 1LT, 1974 Corvette
I was sad to see Pontiac go (my last 3 cars were 2 Grand Ams and a Grand Prix). If you look at sales, it is easy say they should have axed it. But it satisfied a very important part of the market...younger people who wanted a sporty car at a reasonable price. Now GM really has nothing to offer this segment...Caddy is too expensive, Buick is for old people so your choice is to move to Chevy and unless you can afford the increase in price to have a Camaro there's not much else of interest there (sorry, people in their early 20s are not going to be drawn to the Cobalt or the upcoming Cruze). Unfortunately, most of this segment will end up moving over to one of the foreign makers IMO.
OrangeFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #32
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFury View Post
I was sad to see Pontiac go (my last 3 cars were 2 Grand Ams and a Grand Prix). If you look at sales, it is easy say they should have axed it. But it satisfied a very important part of the market...younger people who wanted a sporty car at a reasonable price. Now GM really has nothing to offer this segment...Caddy is too expensive, Buick is for old people so your choice is to move to Chevy and unless you can afford the increase in price to have a Camaro there's not much else of interest there (sorry, people in their early 20s are not going to be drawn to the Cobalt or the upcoming Cruze). Unfortunately, most of this segment will end up moving over to one of the foreign makers IMO.
But they weren't any sportier than their Chevy cousins. A Malibu with the 3.6 is just as fast as a G6 GXP, or a Saturn Aura with the same engine. And they were all about the same price too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #33
OrangeFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
But they weren't any sportier than their Chevy cousins. A Malibu with the 3.6 is just as fast as a G6 GXP, or a Saturn Aura with the same engine. And they were all about the same price too.

When I used "sporty" I was more referring to the look as opposed to the performance. The two Grand Ams I had were sporty-looking and came at a much lower price tag than even the cheapest base Malibu (which I doubt your avg kid in their 20s would even classify as a "sporty" looking car).

I'm talking about the segment of the population that is coming out of college, entering the workforce, no longer wants to drive a beater but can't afford a $25K+ car. Pontiac filled this niche extremely well...sporty-looking cars and an affordable price. Now what are their options...a loaded up Cobalt?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #34
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
I had a 99 Grand Am. . . biggest POS car I ever owned. . . rusted through and started falling about with only 60k on it.
After owning 3 Grand Ams my used ones ran better than my new one I ordered from the factory I couldn't tell you how many blower reistors, window regulators, factory warning lights that would pop up random, I love driving down the road when your speedo gauge sticks and you have a cop behind you. My new one was a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 30th Aniversary Edition but it sure was a lemon edition needless to say I traded it at 25,000 miles. Grand Ams look good but they are a electrical headache!
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #35
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
Quote:
When I used "sporty" I was more referring to the look as opposed to the performance. The two Grand Ams I had were sporty-looking and came at a much lower price tag than even the cheapest base Malibu (which I doubt your avg kid in their 20s would even classify as a "sporty" looking car).

I'm talking about the segment of the population that is coming out of college, entering the workforce, no longer wants to drive a beater but can't afford a $25K+ car. Pontiac filled this niche extremely well...sporty-looking cars and an affordable price. Now what are their options...a loaded up Cobalt?
My loaded Pontiac 2008 G6 GXP Coupe had a window sticker price of $29,800. I still have my window stickers from the 3 new Pontiacs I purchased.
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #36
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Our G8 GT is one of my favorite cars that we have ever owned. Something about driving that car just makes me happy.... Sounds cheesey I know.... lol
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #37
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Sporty looking cars that sold massively to fleet is more like it. No matter how much people try to twist it by saying Pontiac was a youthful, sporty division, it was nothing more than a unprofitable fleet division at the end.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #38
BEARS-SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
But Hummer's bread and butter was the H2 with an MSRP in excess of $60,000. Each one sold was very profitable for GM and they were unique enough that they probably didn't steal many sales from the Escalade. I wouldn't be surprised if the H2 brought in 10x the profit of a Firebird.
GM could market the same car (Camaro SS and Firebird) and sell the firebird for 5K more, even with the same specs. I love my Camaro SS, but the moc-ups I've seen of imitation firebirds are amazing. The pointed nose and the huge bird on the hood, I'm sure they'd to alright.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #39
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Pontiac had potential. It was a great brand that wasn't great in the end.

We're on a Camaro board talking about losing Pontiac. How many of us are also Pontiac forum members? For most of us, Chevrolet is our first choice, and Pontiac was always a close second. Why bother with second place when the top spot is available? Can you see how this mentality over time killed the Pontiac brand?
My feeling is that I'm only on a Camaro board because that's the only F body there is now. I never spent time on Chevy boards or Pontiac boards before this place--I spent time on Ls1tech and TGO--both F body boards.

While I may be driving a Camaro now (couldn't pass up the deal), I have always preferred the styling of the Firebird to the Camaro. They have always struck me as more futuristic looking--especially the third and fourth gens. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

If the Firebird returned, I'd be first in line.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #40
OrangeFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Stacy~ View Post
My loaded Pontiac 2008 G6 GXP Coupe had a window sticker price of $29,800. I still have my window stickers from the 3 new Pontiacs I purchased.

I never said Pontiac didn't have over $25K cars...anything GXP was going to be pricey, but I'm not sure what your point here is? There were plenty of models available to the sub-$25K market and those are what I am referring to here.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #41
OrangeFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Sporty looking cars that sold massively to fleet is more like it. No matter how much people try to twist it by saying Pontiac was a youthful, sporty division, it was nothing more than a unprofitable fleet division at the end.

Yes, unprofitable at the tail-end of an 80+ year run, lol. GM also had Buick on the chopping block a couple years ago and brought that division back just fine.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what GM now has left to offer this demographic...
Old 05-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #42
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Yes, unprofitable at the tail-end of an 80+ year run, lol. GM also had Buick on the chopping block a couple years ago and brought that division back just fine.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what GM now has left to offer this demographic...
Buick was never on the chopping block due to its runaway success in China. Pontiac's fate was decided well before GM began prepping for bankruptcy.

The RS equipment package will be spread throughout the Chevrolet lineup to provide more sporty exterior styling. Next up after Camaro is Cruze RS. The next-gen Aveo is getting an RS model as well. No need for Pontiac and a whole separate division when Chevrolet can offer the same thing.