Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #421
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I've never had the pleasure of running a S/C or any kind of F/I'd car in a track environment, but I'm sure the heat soak would play a part, but I don't think it would be a few laps. Would it heat soak enough to cause the ZL1 to fall behind the Boss? Eventually maybe, but I doubt it. It would have to be out there for a long, and I mean a LONG, time for the ZL1 to lose the lead it would build up over the course of the session and then have the Boss get ahead. Too many variables at that point. Also, I believe that MT addressed the HP advantage issue and only came up with a half second difference in the straightaways. The ZL1's big advantage was the amount of speed the car was able to carry trough the turns, and the fact it was able to brake much later, most likely due to the much larger contact patch.
Less to do with the contact patch and more to do with the brakes themselves. If i am not mistaken the Boss, like the GT, is Brambos on the front only. I would highly suggest picking up the magazine and reading the driver's comments, really shed a light on it for me.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #422
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Less to do with the contact patch and more to do with the brakes themselves. If i am not mistaken the Boss, like the GT, is Brambos on the front only. I would highly suggest picking up the magazine and reading the driver's comments, really shed a light on it for me.
I don't think they experienced any fade on the Mustangs, and they don't think the brakes are unbalanced. I think they just complained about pedal feel and confidence. I really don't think a brake upgrade, at least in size or clamping power, would benefit the Boss LS too much. Also, it's already running R compound tires, so the only thing I can think of is the contact patch.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #423
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
IBTL

MODERATORS PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

EVERYONE Knows the pros and cons of each car. Move this thread to "waste of time" Directory.
Um, no offense but do you just go around picking and choosing what threads you personally want closed? And I guess it is solely up to you which thread is a "waste of time". Imma try that later...Imma just go on a thread that doesn't interest me, not post anything at all to add to the conversation, request the thread to be shut down, and then declare it to be a "waste of time"...must be fun.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #424
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH

Drives: 2016 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
ZL1 = "13.5 seconds at 107 MPH and 13.1 at 113 MPH with the launch control"

Do you consider these "Real world numbers" as well?

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-firs...-on-the-track/

Boom!
You seem to be confused. Here, let me help you out ...

Those runs were made at a drag strip (diff surface), by an admittedly inexperienced driver. And while that person might not have been powershifting, most people who bring their cars to a dragstrip do. For good reason, automotive journals specifically prohibit that type of activity.

This is what I meant by real world numbers:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...l1-test-review
Standing ¼-mile: 12.3@119 mph

Please, tell me you got all that.
2012 IngotSilver 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #425
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH

Drives: 2016 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
I'm almost the exact opposite. I too want to know what a car can do stock but also what can it do modded and how easy a car it is to mod. I haven't left a car completely "stock" in a long time and I'm 54 years old. Even my '07 Taco has aftermarket exhaust and a few mods for improved traction, etc. I'd rather have a car that I can add 50% more horsepower and make handling improvements to my taste than get a maxxed out machine from the dealer.......where everyone I see on the street is driving the same machine......but that's just me. In summary, I want to know what can I get this car to do for me and at what expense vs what can it do off the showroom floor.

PS I'm also not a drag racer where anyone with a right foot and money can go fast......I'm a road track guy.

Neither of these positions make me "better" or "right", it's just how I look at cars.
That's cool brother, everyone has their own priorities.

For example: When I go to car shows I'm absolutely beside myself when I spot an old muscle car that's 100% original. The one's with 20" wheels, non factory color, etc. just make me :( .
2012 IngotSilver 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #426
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Some are unaware of very old news...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-c...cadillac-ats-v

ATS = Alpha = Next-Gen Camaro

3,500 lb. ATS-V - TT V6 + LT1 (next-Gen SBC) V8 = 35-3550 lb.

ZL1 = 7.1 lb/hp

3,550 lb/500 hp = 7.1...

We don't need no stinkin' 'charger(s)...ZL1 performance, BOSS LS-eatin' weight-to-power...

...and near-30 mpg - highway...

ZEE "correct" name will...end with /28...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 05-17-2012 at 06:44 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #427
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
As a Boss owner coming from a BMW ill say the corner speed was picked up on the curbing which seemingly unsettles the Boss but definitely unsettles the driver more. Had my car 1 full year now and I'm still pushing it and realizing it is more capable than it feels. It sits too high, feels under braked, bobs about unnervingly thanks to the SRA and yet, and yet, everytime I think that's it; the car has no more to give... It does. I think the ZL1 is easy to go fast in, but the Boss has more in it. Give the same driver months with both cars and the 2 second lap difference would close somewhat.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #428
oldlugs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Bullitt + 2009 Shelby GT-500KR
2013 launch control...

Launch control info:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/17/2...able-rpm-laun/
oldlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #429
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
As a Boss owner coming from a BMW ill say the corner speed was picked up on the curbing which seemingly unsettles the Boss but definitely unsettles the driver more. Had my car 1 full year now and I'm still pushing it and realizing it is more capable than it feels. It sits too high, feels under braked, bobs about unnervingly thanks to the SRA and yet, and yet, everytime I think that's it; the car has no more to give... It does. I think the ZL1 is easy to go fast in, but the Boss has more in it. Give the same driver months with both cars and the 2 second lap difference would close somewhat.
While I agree with you for the average driver, with a pro like RP, the time required to get the most out of a car is significantly reduced. Not only that, he already had previous seat time in the Boss, so if anything, the Camaro was at a disadvantage there too. They are both great cars, and while the ZL1 is faster, personally I would go for the Boss, just in a silver and red trim with the LS package. Or a School Bus Yellow with the 2013 out now.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #430
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I have had my Camaro exactly one month plus a week. I have had some issues that were caused by the dealer's cleaning crew, as well as some warranty issues that appear to be inherent problems with the Camaro. All this having been said, I am scheduling an appointment to get 3 of the 'bee stripes replaced, passenger door adjusted, and getting the front bumper repainted. This will be its third trip to the dealer to correct cosmetic problems.

After driving this car a little over 1600 miles, given the problems I've had, it's been the worst "new car" experience I ever gone through. The car feels heavy to me, feels more like it's driving me than I'm driving it. So, since I haven't driven a new Mustang since 2005, I stopped at my old place of business and took a 2013 Mustang GT out for a ride.

The car feels lighter and quicker. It shifts better. The steering is solid and has better road feel than my Camaro. They run P-Zeros on these cars too, so the tires aren't a factor, but the Mustang feels more agile on the hairpins. The interior seems to be of better quality than my Camaro. In another post I'd previously stated that I thought my Camaro felt "delicate". The Mustang, on the contrary, feels like I could beat the living crap out of it and it would come back for more.

My Camaro has more visual appeal. It turns more heads than a Mustang would, unless I were to buy a Boss or GT500. But I'm not a "car show" guy. I'm a drag racer, and I like taking things up to 140 MPH when I feel like it. Not that the Camaro doesn't have the same ability, but the Mustang has a 3.73:1 ratio, and a solid axle that I can launch hard without fear of damage. The Boss comes with Trackey, which basically gives you factory electric exhaust cutouts, and programmable cam timing. Push-button lumpy cam on demand. Wow.

I'm still on the fence at this point, but shame on me for buying the Camaro without driving the Mustang first. The SS and GT are equal in price, but after road testing the GT, I left thinking that the Mustang has more bang for the buck. If I can make the numbers work, I just might make the jump. Tough call.

Just sharing my thoughts and impressions, so please keep the flames low.
the way i read you i think your mind is set. the camaro is toast and the mustang comes in. go for it!

you obviously don't like your camaro presently.and you seem to like the mustang very much.. once with it i hope you won't have any problems & go back on a camaro again..

only your checkbook will tell you to move to the ford camp.
good luck
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #431
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
While I agree with you for the average driver, with a pro like RP, the time required to get the most out of a car is significantly reduced. Not only that, he already had previous seat time in the Boss, so if anything, the Camaro was at a disadvantage there too. They are both great cars, and while the ZL1 is faster, personally I would go for the Boss, just in a silver and red trim with the LS package. Or a School Bus Yellow with the 2013 out now.

I agree the ZL1 would still be faster around the track. But even a pro driver benefits from seat time. I used to race back in the day and I still say the one thing holding the Boss back from its best is seat time. I have driven no other car that can perform beyond what it should like this. In my first year of my last BMW, I gained somewhere around 2 seconds over the course of a season of track events. The Mustang, nearly 5 and I think there's more to be found. None the less I concede the ZL1 is probably better overall. And I also agree that if I could I'd add a SBY Boss to my stable anyway.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #432
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst equipped View Post
the way i read you i think your mind is set. the camaro is toast and the mustang comes in. go for it!

you obviously don't like your camaro presently.and you seem to like the mustang very much.. once with it i hope you won't have any problems & go back on a camaro again..

only your checkbook will tell you to move to the ford camp.
good luck
Mind isn't set yet. I'm thinking it all through. The numbers actually came back looking very good, so I wouldn't take a bath on the trade. It's a lot of hassle though...DMV, insurance, etc. Still considering all of that.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #433
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Mind isn't set yet. I'm thinking it all through. The numbers actually came back looking very good, so I wouldn't take a bath on the trade. It's a lot of hassle though...DMV, insurance, etc. Still considering all of that.
I say you rent the mustang and spend some time with it along with your camaro and then make up your mind. If you still like the mustang better, then you should buy the mustang. More so if you happen to keep cars for a long time. Do you really want to be stuck with a car for 10 years or more that you aren't completely happy with?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #434
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
I agree the ZL1 would still be faster around the track. But even a pro driver benefits from seat time. I used to race back in the day and I still say the one thing holding the Boss back from its best is seat time. I have driven no other car that can perform beyond what it should like this. In my first year of my last BMW, I gained somewhere around 2 seconds over the course of a season of track events. The Mustang, nearly 5 and I think there's more to be found. None the less I concede the ZL1 is probably better overall. And I also agree that if I could I'd add a SBY Boss to my stable anyway.
I agree as well. I have always said, the ZL1 will be easier to drive fast in a roadcourse for the average driver (Me). For 5 or so fun laps, I know I will be faster and maintain a good time each lap on a ZL1.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote