Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #4523
PittPaz
Hail to Pitt

Drives: 2016 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Interesting discussion... I kind of agree with the thoughts that a gearhead and enthusiast are not the same. In my own opinion, a gearhead tinkers with and understands what they're doing to their car (or what they're paying someone else to do). More often than not, I think a gearhead does their own work. But as long as they understand what they're paying for, I could still consider them a gearhead. Now, someone that leaves a car stock isn't necessarily a gearhead in my opinion. I could still consider them an enthusiast, but not quite a gearhead. Gearhead just implies a desire to build, tweak, and tinker.

I also totally agree with the statement that an enthusiast doesn't necessarily need to own something to be considered such. I know many enthusiasts that will never have the means to own a certain car... but they can tell you every bit of history about that car. If that's not an enthusiast, I don't know what your definition could possibly say.

Now, someone that just walks in somewhere, dumps a bucket of cash down on something that they don't understand... well I'd say they're neither a gearhead nor an enthusiast ("I don't care how you do it, just take my money and make it fast."). Usually you'll see this person at the track on a Thursday night scratching their head and questioning, "I don't understand why I'm not running faster...?"

All that said, I'd like to consider myself both a gearhead and an enthusiast. I'm certainly nowhere near the fastest of either of those types of people that post in this thread... but I also give zero ****s.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #4524
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #4525
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPaz View Post
Interesting discussion... I kind of agree with the thoughts that a gearhead and enthusiast are not the same. In my own opinion, a gearhead tinkers with and understands what they're doing to their car (or what they're paying someone else to do). More often than not, I think a gearhead does their own work. But as long as they understand what they're paying for, I could still consider them a gearhead. Now, someone that leaves a car stock isn't necessarily a gearhead in my opinion. I could still consider them an enthusiast, but not quite a gearhead. Gearhead just implies a desire to build, tweak, and tinker.

I also totally agree with the statement that an enthusiast doesn't necessarily need to own something to be considered such. I know many enthusiasts that will never have the means to own a certain car... but they can tell you every bit of history about that car. If that's not an enthusiast, I don't know what your definition could possibly say.

Now, someone that just walks in somewhere, dumps a bucket of cash down on something that they don't understand... well I'd say they're neither a gearhead nor an enthusiast ("I don't care how you do it, just take my money and make it fast."). Usually you'll see this person at the track on a Thursday night scratching their head and questioning, "I don't understand why I'm not running faster...?"

All that said, I'd like to consider myself both a gearhead and an enthusiast. I'm certainly nowhere near the fastest of either of those types of people that post in this thread... but I also give zero ****s.
I agree with you 100% on the gear head comment, but I am not so sure on the enthusiast.

I love Italian exotics, but I'll most likely never own one. I know a lot about them, have driven a few etc, but I can't consider myself an enthusiast because I can't experience them to their fullest. I do consider myself a fan though.

As far as being the fastest etc, being fast doesn't make you a gear head, it's exactly what you and I have said. Tinkering with your car to increase it's performance and having an understanding of what is going on with it.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #4526
BreakingBad
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
I agree with you 100% on the gear head comment, but I am not so sure on the enthusiast.

I love Italian exotics, but I'll most likely never own one. I know a lot about them, have driven a few etc, but I can't consider myself an enthusiast because I can't experience them to their fullest. I do consider myself a fan though.

As far as being the fastest etc, being fast doesn't make you a gear head, it's exactly what you and I have said. Tinkering with your car to increase it's performance and having an understanding of what is going on with it.
Ahhh...semantics!

en·thu·si·ast
  1. person deeply involved in something: somebody who is enthusiastic about something, especially a hobby
Synonyms: fan, fanatic, buff, aficionado, devotee, supporter

All in all I think an enthusiast would be considered anyone who goes beyond the 'norm' when it comes to showing or expressing interest in a particular thing, person, topic, etc. I think anyone can be an enthusiast about anything...BUT...how MUCH of an enthusiast is what would be in question...

I mean, can you be a sex enthusiast if you're a virgin? No matter how many books you read or videos you watch, nothing like doing it yourself! Same thing could apply to cars I guess..

Anyway...my car is in the garage getting key marks buffed out :( good news is i get it back tonight...but when the hell is this rain going to stop? 1 1/2 days of sun is BULL...only a few more weeks us street parkers can wash our cars.

Bought car May 31st. Almost had the car 4 months and have been keyed at least twice and robbed once. Not going good so far...I need a friggin' garage. Someone come build me one.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #4527
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post

Bought car May 31st. Almost had the car 4 months and have been keyed at least twice and robbed once. Not going good so far...I need a friggin' garage. Someone come build me one.
Where are you living???
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #4528
BreakingBad
MAGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Where are you living???
Brookline.

They caught the robbers though

http://dormont-brookline.patch.com/a...brookline-cars

and the key marks i still have no clue. probably some punk i don't like or jealous kids.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #4529
PittPaz
Hail to Pitt

Drives: 2016 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Quote:

Good point, but when you start talking about cars in general... enthusiast can be applied more liberally.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #4530
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
Brookline.

They caught the robbers though

http://dormont-brookline.patch.com/a...brookline-cars

and the key marks i still have no clue. probably some punk i don't like or jealous kids.
Tall tell sign that you gotta move lol
Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #4531
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman5001 View Post
Oops oct 6th starting at 10 am sorry about that.

what did you have to do for BAJA SAE
Are any of you guys interested in going to this?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #4532
Trav2SS
MTMTEYE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
wait what did someone say something about boobs? oohhhh yeeaaaahhhhh
I agree on implants, been around many myself.. it as with many things, depends on the $$$ and Doctor. But by no means am I against that particular modication if someone does it, all the other stuff, like face surgerys.. bleh, no thanks.

On that note, anyone ever watch the genre of "hot girls with big racks in fast cars" videos on youtube? some are entertaining

Ill admit im not a camaro enthusiast by any means, i don't know shit about previous generations besides liking a few styles of some lol

Aftermarket bolt on parts and tune.. 434hp/395tq
Daily Driver.
Trav2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #4533
BreakingBad
MAGA

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...adgets/4221601

how sick would that be!

someone starts tailgating a bit too much...have your boy pop out the top with a mounted 50!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #4534
tahseenmahmood
Mr. Ricer

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Agreed... if i had shit loads of money .. i would just buy the zl1 and throw in even better performance modds ,,, im sure their will way too many ZL1's in the coming future and all this hype will be over.

Quote:
you are better off modifying a standard SS vs. shelling out the extra coin for a ZL1 especially if you are going to rip off parts.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #4535
tahseenmahmood
Mr. Ricer

I dont even have a garage.!! LOL and i push my car to the limits.!

Quote:

Just my opinion, but I don't consider someone who buys a car and does nothing but really stare at it in the garage an enthusiast.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #4536
tahseenmahmood
Mr. Ricer

Deat Santa....

Quote: