Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #4621
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Yeah... if you're already retarded I would agree.

I won't want my firearm to be easily taken out of my holster from behind
LOL.

So why is there so much interest in the John Wayne club on here? Just a friendly debate?
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #4622
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Read my post above.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #4623
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
And that makes a lot of sense.

But as it stands right now, if you are concealed carrying and you accidentally show and an officer notices, you can get in a world of trouble.

I believe if you want to open carry, you should be allowed to (even if it's not recommended for the above reasons), just as I believe you should also be allowed to conceal carry.

I just don't like the whole, "you can conceal carry, but if it's not concealed enough or your shirt accidentally gets hung up on something, you're now screwed"
Here in MN you can open carry if you have a concealed permit. 99.99% of people carry concealed though
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #4624
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Open carry would, in my personal opinion, make the guy carrying the gun on the outside a likelier target over the guy standing next to him who's conceal carrying.

I STRONGLY feel that if there IS to be open carry, people MUST....WITHOUT FAIL (like, it needs to be LAW), use a level II or III holster. There MUST be a mechanism in place to KEEP the gun IN the holster until the person wants to take it out. I'm not talking about a single snap.
I agree with this. If, in the situation of an active shooter who is hell bent on killing someone, or taking away any kind of resistance, the person he KNOWS is armed will be the first target. I also agree that it would be irresponsible for the carrier to wear a gun in a fashion that would allow someone to easily take it. I DON'T think that open carry is a "bad idea" though.

Quote:
And that makes a lot of sense.

But as it stands right now, if you are concealed carrying and you accidentally show and an officer notices, you can get in a world of trouble.

I believe if you want to open carry, you should be allowed to (even if it's not recommended for the above reasons), just as I believe you should also be allowed to conceal carry.

I just don't like the whole, "you can conceal carry, but if it's not concealed enough or your shirt accidentally gets hung up on something, you're now screwed"
These are good points. No matter the opinion, open carry should be a right. And it DOES have advantages. Tag made some great points, but consider this:

You're in a bank with possibly 30 other people. An armed person walks in with intent to rob the bank, and kill a person if necessary to accomplish the goal. The robber notices ALL 30 people with handguns on their hips. Now put yourself in the robber's position. How successful are you about to be in terrorizing those people, making them feel helpless, get your money, and safely make it away? Apply that same logic to a coffee shop, a Denny's, or any other place where there are generally a decent amount of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
LOL.

So why is there so much interest in the John Wayne club on here? Just a friendly debate?
Friendly debate I would imagine. But it IS a right to carry and protect yourself. Skooter's argument is very valid on the problems with conceal carry, but not having open carry. And in addition, I'm sure you read my "scenario" above.

There are two kinds of shooters. You have the crazy people, who are going to take their own life at the end, and then you have the person who wants to cause chaos but does not want to die.

In the first situation, all you can do is minimize. That person is prepared to die, and they want to cause as much damage as they can before it happens, weather they kill themselves or you do it. Note that ALL the crazies target places that are "gun free", which allows them to run amok until they off themselves. Gun free is a target for that reason. Visual deterrence will make them try to evaluate another target. If not, their rampage will be much shorter lived anyway.

In the second situation, with the shooter that wants to make it out alive, visual deterrence comes into play on a much grander scale. That shooter is NOT making it out of that situation alive.

Consider how many active shooters target police stations, gun shows (or even gun stores), NRA conventions...

Now consider schools, movie theaters, and other public "gun free" zones. There is a reason for it, even for the insane ones.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #4625
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Say....a guy goes in to rob a store (and he's GOING to do it regardless), take out the guy who's open carrying right off the bat. BAM! He's out of the picture. No more worries there. Now do what you need to do.
This is where armed guards in schools seems of mixed value. If someone is planning a mass kill and they know there is an armed guard on site the guard would be the first target.
Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #4626
wholloway6

Drives: 2012 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
1. Because normal non carrying folks absolutely freak out when someone carries in the open. You will get the cops called on you more than once.
The police carry weapons in the open... I have never seen anyone freak out from seeing them carry a gun. I don't see how it is any different.
wholloway6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #4627
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Quote:
Does Texas have a petition site like the white house does?

I'd like to start a petition to allow Open Carry in Texas. Thoughts?
I'd like there to be open carry. Last I checked there is but only on your land.
Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #4628
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholloway6 View Post
The police carry weapons in the open... I have never seen anyone freak out from seeing them carry a gun. I don't see how it is any different.
Badge + gun= OK
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #4629
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholloway6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
Badge + gun= OK
It shouldn't be any different, but it's all about location. There are many places where open carry is legal, and people don't freak out when they see a normal person with a gun. If you were to open carry in NY city or Cali where it's not allowed, it's very out of the ordinary and people will have a panic attack. So it IS different with a cop, because everyone knows "they are allowed". If everyone were allowed (like we should be), people would eventually stop freaking out.

Sheep. That's all I have to say about that.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #4630
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
The only time I'm ever wearing anything that's effective is in the winter, and in San Antonio, that lasts all of 2 weeks...
I'm from Florida originally! I have carried for over 20yrs in the heat. Summer time i carry in a fanny pack, may look gay but conceals and H&K USP .45 Compact very well.

Quote:
And do you really think criminals would target someone specifically because of the handgun on their hip?
YES! I do... If a criminal or potential shooter walks in and sees your armed one of two things are going to happen. They are going to leave or you are going to be the first person they shoot. In some situations or areas in this country it could make you a target just for your weapon.

Quote:
Why do you want to surprise a criminal? I'd rather they just leave me alone in the first place...
Elimate of surprise rather it be .09 of a second, gives you an advantage. PERIOD! I'll take any advantage over none.

Quote:
You're telling me a criminal would approach and try to carjack a person even if they could clearly see a holster on that person's hip?
And you think they can see That walking up to a car, until they are right on top of you there not going to see anything. Even if your open carry, they would have to look down into the car to see it.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #4631
kalimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Summer time i carry in a fanny pack, may look gay...
There is no "may" about it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #4632
only the beSSt

Drives: IOM 1LE, awaiting my return
I'm psyched!!! I just paid for a brand new Glock 30 Gen4 with Trijicon HD Night Sights and 3 magazines to be waiting for me when I get back to the States.

....$580 out the door!

Thanks, Ed's Public Safety. You guys are awesome

Last edited by only the beSSt; 02-23-2013 at 12:34 AM.
only the beSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #4633
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
This is where armed guards in schools seems of mixed value. If someone is planning a mass kill and they know there is an armed guard on site the guard would be the first target.
That guard is there as a deterent and trained (or shold be ) to deal with a threat. If a shooter enters looking for security rather than going on a shooting spree from the start then it does its job. Most mentally ill people wouldn't go against a cop or trained individual, look at how many choose to shoot themselves when confronted.

Quote:
UNIFORM, badge and gun! People don't freak over Mall Security Guards either but I'm not trusting one with my life

Quote:
There is no "may" about it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Yea! yea! that was a freebie...
But it carries the weapon (H&K .45 usually), two extra mags, 4" lock blade knife, and an ASP, along with a tourniquet and package of "quickclot"
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #4634
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Just stumbled across this Ruger 556 for retail!

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun