Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #463
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
That is exactly what I was going to ask for actually. Good to hear you're already on it! Auto connect to master Wi-Fi when accessing app option would be nice too.
We are not going to make any commitments on time frames. We will have the features completed on both platforms before releasing.

We want to add the auto-wifi connect to the android app, which may take some time to get it perfect. It is more complicated than it sounds. We have several customers with more than one system, so the application already supports more than one system now. That makes it more complicated.

Unfortunately, an iOS app is not allowed to establish a wifi connection, or even take you to the wifi settings. This lack of control as a developer will eliminate this feature from the iOS app.

This really only becomes a problem when you are at home. When at a car show, or away from home, your wifi should auto-connect to your master. But if at home where your phone automatically connects to the home wifi, switching it manually is necessary.
Joe@NightOwlLEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #464
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
My SL modules are installed in the glovebox. I never really use glovebox so works out well.

The master module is mounted in a slot over by the fuse box panel by drivers door. There is a perfect slot for it. Will post a photo later tonight.

Bonus to glovebox location is easy access if any updates to modules are needed. Joe was able to do updates at Cfest quickly without having to remove bumpers and such.

Plus keeps away from water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #465
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '14 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
The master sits in the console, by default, an it pretty small. The HP module's suggested location is on the outboard side of the right front frame rail of the unibody.
That mounting location is only for SS and presumably V6. When I installed my ZL1 front end, I had to relocate the HP/SL module because the lower grille would not go in with the module in the way.
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #466
CamaroI

Not sure if there is an actual "suggested mounting location" for modules. I have seen guys mount them all over the place. A guy at fest had 7 modules mounted in a case which stayed in his trunk area. Location can be dependent on how much wire you want to run.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #467
RpdFire

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS
Take a look at my post #255 I mounted it in the drivers side fuse area so it did not take up center console space.
RpdFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #468
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
We are not going to make any commitments on time frames. We will have the features completed on both platforms before releasing.

We want to add the auto-wifi connect to the android app, which may take some time to get it perfect. It is more complicated than it sounds. We have several customers with more than one system, so the application already supports more than one system now. That makes it more complicated.

Unfortunately, an iOS app is not allowed to establish a wifi connection, or even take you to the wifi settings. This lack of control as a developer will eliminate this feature from the iOS app.

This really only becomes a problem when you are at home. When at a car show, or away from home, your wifi should auto-connect to your master. But if at home where your phone automatically connects to the home wifi, switching it manually is necessary.
If you need a beta tester let me know. My only issue not having an auto-connect feature is I use bluetooth adp2 for all my music. I reach back to my home NAS via mobile network and stream everything staight through. If I'm connected to wifi auto-magicly all the time in the car, I can't stream from the mobile network. It's the same issue with pandora or any other mobile streaming service. There is a smart network feature in Android 4.4 that if your wifi or mobile connection doesn't have a solid internet connection it will auto switch between both networks, but it's not very reliable.

There has been some talk about this issue on the xda forums. I haven't looked for awhile though so there might be a fix or a new preference and I might just not know lol.

The work around of course is to just shut off wifi until you need to access the nightowl system or use another iOS or android device. I wonder if the new iOS language, Swift, will allow for more functionality like this in the "iworld"...
Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #469
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 1SS/1LE
Alex, that's the issue I had that got to me, I would get in the car and not be able to use pandora cause I was connected to the NightOwl wifi. So that's why I bought the iPad mini haha. Maybe an overkill but eh, wanted one anyways.

MACKMAN // 1LE_ORNGE
MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #470
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
You can hardwire it under the console, but right now mine plugs in there. I'll move it once I get some time.
You should have the master hooked up to a switch if you are going to hardwire it.
and it can be tucked in the fuse box area no need to put under the center console.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #471
CamaroI

Introducing NightOwl LED Systems

Ditto on the switch. Switch is also useful for updates. Have to cycle modules off and on during update process. I have my switch mounted in trunk area. Not the best location. Should have mounted in glove box with modules but oh we'll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #472
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
Alex, that's the issue I had that got to me, I would get in the car and not be able to use pandora cause I was connected to the NightOwl wifi. So that's why I bought the iPad mini haha. Maybe an overkill but eh, wanted one anyways.
Same here. I was in my shop connected to NightOwl wifi and kept wondering why my internet wouldn't work! I wonder if there is a fix for this without having to turn wifi on and off...hmm

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #473
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
Same here. I was in my shop connected to NightOwl wifi and kept wondering why my internet wouldn't work! I wonder if there is a fix for this without having to turn wifi on and off...hmm
I don't know if you are Andriod or not, but if you are iOS you can get that fixed here:

http://nightowlleds.com/troubleshooting/
Old 06-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #474
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
My android issue is my HTC One keeps dropping the connection....
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #475
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Which One? I had a One X that always dropped WiFi connections. A new phone proved to me that the the problem was the phone.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #476
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
Its an early release so I think it is the One X...it only came in silver when I bought it...
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote