Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #5125
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisfromIowa View Post
Anyone else have a problem with their battery going dead if it sits for a couple weeks? If I disconnect the ground cable from the battery it will stay charged no problem. I wonder if it could be something about the "Show Mode" wiring on the sequential tail lights? Any problems with yours James?
Domino's battery went dead after sitting for 3 weeks, but it's not the LED's causing it.

All the electronics in the car cause it. They suck juice even when the car is off.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #5126
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
Someone missed their nap.
I'm in some training for work today.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I was joking about the time and place and thanks for taking the time to set this up. I'd just like to do something with the Camaro crowd and food for me is a plus!!. I look forward to Sunday. On a side note this will be my 3rd trip to CR in 7 days so I'm getting pretty good at cutting the time down. See y'all Sunday.
I didn't want to seem like I was being a dick. And being that you have traveled to CR that many times in the last week I can surely understand why you wouldn't want to do it again. The next one we setup will definitely be closer to you guys.

As noted above I have been in training all day so maybe that had made me hostile!

As Syn said.........
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #5127
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Sunday, Cedar Rapids. I might just be there. Now all I have to do is convince my Engineer we need to stop there for an hour or two on the way to Clinton!! I'll play it by ear as alwaysI just noticed this new emotican
We'll stop him for you Bob!!
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #5128
DennisfromIowa

Drives: 2012 2LS silver ice metallic V6
Quote:
Domino's battery went dead after sitting for 3 weeks, but it's not the LED's causing it.

All the electronics in the car cause it. They suck juice even when the car is off.
Well that sucks but nice to know it's not only me. I ask about the LED's because when I hook up the charger the LEDs blink off and on a while till the battery starts getting a charge. I guess I'll keep doing the ground cable seeing it only takes about 2 minutes to do.
DennisfromIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #5129
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
We'll stop him for you Bob!!
Ha Ha!! If we carried cash I would be packing something to take care of that pea shooter!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #5130
DennisfromIowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
I'm in some training for work today.
I didn't want to seem like I was being a dick. And being that you have traveled to CR that many times in the last week I can surely understand why you wouldn't want to do it again. The next one we setup will definitely be closer to you guys.
As noted above I have been in training all day so maybe that had made me hostile!
As Syn said.........
I didn't see or take anything as hostile and as far as driving to CR I have no problem with that. It's boring is what I'm saying. Once you do it there isn't a lot to see the next time you drive up. Maybe I need to try HWY 6 or something. At least Sunday I'll be a 30MPG car instead of a 14 MPG 4X4.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #5131
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well that sucks but nice to know it's not only me. I ask about the LED's because when I hook up the charger the LEDs blink off and on a while till the battery starts getting a charge. I guess I'll keep doing the ground cable seeing it only takes about 2 minutes to do.
I did the ground cable thing since Domino is in a storage locker instead of the garage.

At least I won't need to do a fuse pull come spring.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #5132
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Dennis,
My battery seam to go down pretty quick also when I tried to start it recently, but I have been working on the new AMP and the ABL lighting, I thought it was that. I'm keeping the trickle charger on it now. Sure hope it gets nice out soon!! Did you see those new jack pad adapters we all need for our floor jacks? I have an extra one if you need it.

Bill
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #5133
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hmmm...didn't realize the LEDs drained the battery so quickly. I have had the trickle charger on it since I parked it so hopefully the battery is still good.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #5134
DennisfromIowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Hmmm...didn't realize the LEDs drained the battery so quickly. I have had the trickle charger on it since I parked it so hopefully the battery is still good.
I was thinking it was the technostalgia LED tail lights but James doesn't think that is the problem but just the normal electronics drawing the battery down. I'm leaning that way too and if you have a trickle charger on it you should be fine. I think a trickle charger could keep up with the draw. I have an extra trickle charger so I may install it and stop doing the ground cable trick.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #5135
renyart

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
mine set for about 4 weeks without starting this summer so Batter went completely dead.I took it to the dealer to have it checked out to see if it might be a bad battery.I have the tec.led show mode lights as well.The drain on the battery was normal.They said that even with the car just sitting and everything shut off,lights radio ect,there is still about 30 functions still pulling a drain on the battery.This is normal.They said if it sets for any period of time (7 to 10 days or more with out being driven it should have a battery charger like a Cetek or Battery Tender ect.Thats what I do have not had a problem since.
renyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #5136
DennisfromIowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
Dennis,
My battery seam to go down pretty quick also when I tried to start it recently, but I have been working on the new AMP and the ABL lighting, I thought it was that. I'm keeping the trickle charger on it now. Sure hope it gets nice out soon!! Did you see those new jack pad adapters we all need for our floor jacks? I have an extra one if you need it.

Bill
I bought 2 12ft 2X10s and cut then 6ft, 4ft, 2ft and built ramps to drive up on so my jack would fit under the car easily . Thanks for the offer on the pad but I'm going to lower the car this spring with coil-overs and can barely get the jack under the car now without the ramps . I'll keep you in mind if it turns out the pad is the way to go. Sounds like if a 5th gen Camaro sits for a couple weeks a trickle charger is the way to go.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #5137
DennisfromIowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by renyart View Post
mine set for about 4 weeks without starting this summer so Batter went completely dead.I took it to the dealer to have it checked out to see if it might be a bad battery.I have the tec.led show mode lights as well.The drain on the battery was normal.They said that even with the car just sitting and everything shut off,lights radio ect,there is still about 30 functions still pulling a drain on the battery.This is normal.They said if it sets for any period of time (7 to 10 days or more with out being driven it should have a battery charger like a Cetek or Battery Tender ect.Thats what I do have not had a problem since.
Looks like we hit on something I've never heard before concerning the battery. I hope it helps someone else who has this problem and save them some money before they buy a new battery. Thanks for the information.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #5138
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
I remember there being a thread about the life of the battery if left unattended for long periods of time. James' comment pretty sums it up. Due to all the gadgets and gizmos in our cars, the cars can only sit for about 2-3 weeks, max, before it won't start.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote