Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #533
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Has OP, the dealership, and GM confided all the details of this situation to you? I've skimmed through the thread, and the feeling I get is that nobody knows the whole story.

I think it's great that the forum wants to support someone they feel has been "wronged" , but I also think the blind outrage, petitions, and "I'm never gunna buy GM" is kind of hilarious without knowing the actual details.
It's recently summarized by the OP in the first post.

Warranty: Void.
Reason: Catch can.
Everything else: Irrevelant.

Unless you count the Dealership running the car with a known oil pump failure.

Not sure what more a person needs to understand that this is complete BS.

You might not find it so hilarious if it was your car....
Old 05-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #534
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Another update

I contacted the BBB and filed a complaint. I faxed all necessary paperwork to them and patiently waited for their response. I received a call from them Friday asking why I had no included any work orders or any details on the repairs that had been done. When I told them there had been no repairs only a tear down, the BBB guy said there was nothing they would do, and that I needed to have repairs done before they would do anything for me. I explained the situation to him and said they were refusing to repair it so how was I supposed to get repair work done. He said that wasn't up to him, but that until I gave the dealership a chance to fix the problem they wouldn't help me. I told him that the dealership was not going to fix the car because they warranty had been blocked, he again said that he would not be able to help me until the car had been repaired or had a repair attempt made. He also said that because I had modified the car that the BBB would not help me at all, and that it clearly states they will not get involved in situations where modifications are involved no matter what part the modification plays in the situation.

So in conclusion the BBB was far less than helpful, and won't let me even file a complaint against the dealership either. I am going to call my Attorney General's office Monday morning.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #535
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Have you contacted the FTC?
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #536
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
I contacted the BBB and filed a complaint. I faxed all necessary paperwork to them and patiently waited for their response. I received a call from them Friday asking why I had no included any work orders or any details on the repairs that had been done. When I told them there had been no repairs only a tear down, the BBB guy said there was nothing they would do, and that I needed to have repairs done before they would do anything for me. I explained the situation to him and said they were refusing to repair it so how was I supposed to get repair work done. He said that wasn't up to him, but that until I gave the dealership a chance to fix the problem they wouldn't help me. I told him that the dealership was not going to fix the car because they warranty had been blocked, he again said that he would not be able to help me until the car had been repaired or had a repair attempt made. He also said that because I had modified the car that the BBB would not help me at all, and that it clearly states they will not get involved in situations where modifications are involved no matter what part the modification plays in the situation.

So in conclusion the BBB was far less than helpful, and won't let me even file a complaint against the dealership either. I am going to call my Attorney General's office Monday morning.
The AG office probably has a web site you can fill out the complaint.

I would be very concise.

The AG's office looks at fraud, bad business practice, etc. to protect the public, not the individual filing the complaint alone.

Last edited by Tenring; 05-28-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #537
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Suffice it to say the OP has been sufficiently 'vetted' and this isn't an internet boondoggle. I too raised that notion a while back. Not now.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:18 PM   #538
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

I filed a complaint with the BBB concerning Sterling's handling of this issue and setting a precident. Was going to file one against GM, but they have so many unresolved complaints already, I didn't figure it would do much good...

I encourage anyone with a Camaro and a catch can to file an online complaint against Sterling.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:22 PM   #539
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post

Basically TMI for the BBB. They simply do not have the capacity to understand the complaint. I usually just go to the web site and look up the business and fill out their online complaint form. THAT usually gets the attention of the business. The only way for them to resolve it at that point is to make it right with YOU. Otherwise, it stays on the official BBB record as an unresolved complaint and brings their rating DOWN.

Go here, fill out the form. Do not get too detailed. Just the basics. Fill out as much information as you can. Cite the FACT that many GM service department personnel not only APPROVE of catch cans but also RECOMMEND catch cans. Elite catch cans specifically.

https://odrcomplaint.bbb.org/odrweb/...usinessID=5714

Anybody can file a complaint. I filed one one on Friday and of course have not yet received a response. But I know that eventually I will. Once you file the complaint, it CAN NOT be cleared unless you sign off on it.

I encourage everybody who is following this issue to file a complaint against Sterling. Sterling initiated the issue, and Sterling might me more likely to give two shits about their reputation, as obviously GM could care less.

JMHO as always.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:32 PM   #540
RAMTechRob

Drives: 2016 Camaro White 1LT
I'm pretty sure all of your hard work has sealed the fate of this motor. The OP may as well start fixing it himself.
RAMTechRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #541
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Here is a link to the Texas AG complaint form.

However, AG loves to get things resolved regardless of what is right or wrong. In my experience, AG will try to immediately flush the issue as being with GM and not Sterling. So may need to fill one out for each...

http://txoag.force.com/CPDOnlineForm
Old 05-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #542
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
I'm pretty sure all of your hard work has sealed the fate of this motor. The OP may as well start fixing it himself.
If I were OP, I would take it to the selling dealership, or a trusted indy garage and have it fixed. They could then provide documentation on what exactly the failure was, and more importantly, what caused it.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:00 AM   #543
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
If I were OP, I would take it to the selling dealership, or a trusted indy garage and have it fixed. They could then provide documentation on what exactly the failure was, and more importantly, what caused it.

I don't know about the selling dealership, they've already proven themselves UNtrustworthy AND THEY killed the car to begin with, but another, more customer friendly dealership I could see doing ... have one of GM's own tell them it was GM's faulty oil pump that killed the engine, NOT the CC.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #544
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
Lol, I thought the same thing.

Why is the focus of the threads/petition the OP modifying his car with a catch can, CAI, and who knows what else instead of the known oil pump issues? The whole thing seems like a reminder of why GM should NOT cover it instead of the other way around.

Ask anyone who's not a car enthusiast if they think a dealer or manufacturer will warranty a vehicle that has been modified - most will say no.

Check foums for various makes/models and almost all recommend demodding before going to the dealer.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #545
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
I don't know about the selling dealership, they've already proven themselves UNtrustworthy AND THEY killed the car to begin with, but another, more customer friendly dealership I could see doing ... have one of GM's own tell them it was GM's faulty oil pump that killed the engine, NOT the CC.
No, that's the problem. The OP had the car towed to the nearest GM dealership, which was a GMC/Cadillac dealership. There's a good chance that they had zero familiarity with the LS3 engine, much less a catch can. If the car was taken to a Chevrolet dealership this would've probably been a non issue.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #546
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
No, that's the problem. The OP had the car towed to the nearest GM dealership, which was a GMC/Cadillac dealership. There's a good chance that they had zero familiarity with the LS3 engine, much less a catch can. If the car was taken to a Chevrolet dealership this would've probably been a non issue.
My bad, I didn't pay enough attention to who was the selling dealership and who killed the car and won't take responsibility.