Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #5573
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
See that example there I see that as handicapping Chevrolet but not being able to offer features.
But does Chevrolet need a Volvo or Jaguar level stereo system? Will customers pay extra for that? Buick does and the customers they are targeting will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe
So FWD is more efficient? I guess I would just think RWD would be more efficient because it seems simpler but what do i know lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Only Reason that FWD was more efficient was smaller cars and engines then when FWD cars got bigger they had to find ways to keep it efficient, then when the platforms got to big back to RWD lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyman View Post
it takes more power to change the direction of rotation in the powertrain. rwd makes a 90 turn at the diff., fwd rotates in the same direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Not to mention the extra weight of the rear differential housing, driveline, and components necessary to make it RWD. A lot of weight is lost when the differential is housed inside the transmission.
And let’s not forget the prop shaft running most of the length of the car. One heavy chunk-o-metal.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 07-27-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #5574
CamaroFan63
Sullie63

Drives: '15 1LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
My first new car was this 84 Monte SS that I scraped to buy at age 21. I always felt that when GM went FWD in 88 that their cars lost an American identity. With nothing special to differentiate GM's cars, there was no reason not to buy imports that were better.

I personally stayed RWD with Camaro/Firebird/GTO but my family cars changed to Honda
Nice '84 Monte SS i was 21 almost 22 in May '85 when i bought a new '85 Monte SS. I wondered in 1989 wtf was G.M. thinking. when they canned the Monte and the other Rwd midsize for Fwd.

If you look at today's offerings the only two door cars are the Corvette and Camaro hmmm, guess i am ole' school.

Oracle clear side markers / LLmar tint sides and rear.
Strut bar / Husky Floor liners
Member of SICC. Southern Illinois Camaro Club
CamaroFan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #5575
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
But does Chevrolet need a Volvo or Jaguar level stereo system? Will customers pay extra for that? Buick does and the customers they are targeting will.
I'm pretty impressed with pretty much all of GM's factory option radios anymore as far as sound goes. Believe it or not, one of the best sounding stereos I've had was in either of my Cruzes.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #5576
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://media.buick.com/media/us/en/...31-avenir.html

Regal Avenir.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #5577
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
GM has a long history of “watering down” iconic trim designations and design cues. One only needs to look up Cobalt SS and how can you forget the first ZR-1 Corvette with the squared off circle taillights that told everyone this was something special, only to see them on base models the next year or one after. To this end, I have to go with Jim in that they NEED Buick, because if they loaded up a Chevy, they’d make it look just like one costing half as much.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #5578
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
GM has turned Buick into a wasteland, it is really to bad when you think of the GSX, GN/T-Type, Wildcat, Rivera GS. Like this article talks about Buick is Zombie like.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...uick-must-die/

Last edited by rocket403; 08-01-2018 at 09:26 AM.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #5579
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
GM has a long history of “watering down” iconic trim designations and design cues. One only needs to look up Cobalt SS and how can you forget the first ZR-1 Corvette with the squared off circle taillights that told everyone this was something special, only to see them on base models the next year or one after.
Yep, the LT5 debuted for '90 MY and the base L98 got the square tails for '91 MY
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #5580
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
GM has turned Buick into a wasteland, it is really to bad when you think of the GSX, GN/T-Type, Wildcat, Rivera GS. Like this article talks about Buick is Zombie like.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...uick-must-die/

GM's response:

https://youtu.be/7oIHsggEQuk?t=26s
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #5581
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #5582
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
GM has a long history of “watering down” iconic trim designations and design cues. One only needs to look up Cobalt SS and how can you forget the first ZR-1 Corvette with the squared off circle taillights that told everyone this was something special, only to see them on base models the next year or one after. To this end, I have to go with Jim in that they NEED Buick, because if they loaded up a Chevy, they’d make it look just like one costing half as much.
The Cobalt SS, at least in turbocharged form, was comparable to an Evo 10 around a track. I wouldn't exactly call that watered down, but thats just me.

The tail light thing doesn't bother me too much... but i was a fan of the pop-up headlights and was a little sad to see them go lol
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #5583
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Attached Images

JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #5584
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Cobalt SS earned the badge ... eventually. The original ones with the supercharged engine were decent performers, but not particularly impressive. The later turbocharged ones were as good as you could get in that type of car.

The Malibu Maxx SS on the other hand ...
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #5585
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Cobalt SS earned the badge ... eventually. The original ones with the supercharged engine were decent performers, but not particularly impressive. The later turbocharged ones were as good as you could get in that type of car.

The Malibu Maxx SS on the other hand ...
Thanks DG for the better example. We were out to dinner and I was trying to remember a bad SS model.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #5586
FenwickHockey65

Malibu was the only really bad SS. All the others during that time period weren't exactly monsters but had their own merits.

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions