Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #43
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
Why does everyone assume fuse pull? OP...dumb question but are you putting 91 or 93 octane in the car?
Because it costs absolutely nothing to do, and is the perfect first check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsecgt View Post
as far as shifting i think my car performs much better when i pull the gear shifter all the way back in m-mode (manual) and let the transmission shift by itself. this way it always starts out in 1st gear unlike using the ptm modes which after the first start uses second gear.
The PTM modes have no affect on what gear the trans starts in.
With the shifter in D, it doesn't downshift from 2 to 1. M does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
Plus in "D" it short shifts.. I think 500 rpm early..
It's actually 200rpm. 5800ish in D and 6000ish in M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG View Post
Buy a hellcat...you'll regularly see them in the low 10s or high 9s within the next year.
HIGHLY doubt it. It took a long damn time for anyone to crack the PCM and I'm betting the Hellcat's will be even more intricate. Then again, I haven't seen anything about what PCM it will use, so maybe not.
Still though....HIGHLY doubt it.
Also...hope you're wrong so that my 11.0 car isn't getting beat by a stock Hellcat on a tire.

Quote:
If "bad gas" causes a 10 year old LS1 car to beat up an LSA car, there are bigger issues.
Not really. The low octane timing map has about 10 degrees less timing in it than the high octane map. Pull 10 degrees of timing out of your GTR and then tell me if you still think the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Heat soak is also a mothersmurfer on these cars. You could be down 100hp if it's pulling a bunch of timing for hot IAT's.
I've seen 3 or 4 ZL1's at the track I go to that the owners idled the car in the staging lanes and ran low 13's over and over and over. Heat soak city.

Quote:
However, who here really thinks pulling a fuse is going to solve his problems? Really?
I think it's certainly possible.
Another forum member had his car dyno'd recently and bone stock he made 55 or 60 rwhp less than a normal A6 ZL1 made. And it was on the low octane map.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #44
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
my point was that there are in fact people that believe putting in 87 octane in a car that requires 91 or above is not a problem. I hear people all the time saying "oh well my car sounds just fine with 87"
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #45
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I remember mine shifting 500 early.. I will have to check this weekend
Old 08-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #46
hognutz

Quote:
I'm not "making" the car out to be anything. Comparatively speaking, for the price of a ZL1, it's slow at the 1/4. Period, end of story. The OP is dissatisfied with the performance of his car. So was I. I never said the GTR was winning beauty contests, because it certainly isn't.

I hope the OP gets his issue fixed, I really do. However, who here really thinks pulling a fuse is going to solve his problems? Really?
WTF is any of the garbag your posting helping. there are guys on hear running .5 seconds faster than your car with simple bolts on's and you talking smack.

talking smack about a 9.8 car when you run 11.3??? that is just retarded. 55k+20k in mods =75k car running 9.8's and you say that is pathetic. go run 9.8's for less that 75k then come back and talk.

telling someone to just sell a car is your solution???
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:46 PM   #47
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaslw View Post
A 580 HP car should out run an ls1 with 369 RWHP. I shouldn't have to spend extra money to make this car out perform. Yes I get a ROTO FAB a pully, a tune will increase the performance but I want the stock performance I paid for first.
You're comparing flywheel HP to rwhp. What you really need to do is hit the drag strip and get some "real" numbers. Bottom line is yes the ZL1 is slow if that's what you're trying to get at but you should be able to easily run mid to low 12's in the mid teens. It also takes very little to make the ZL1 a very fast car without having to upgrade a bunch of drive train parts along with it.

Quote:
This sounds like it could work however I noticed that only L99 and LS3 is mentioned. I have an LSA. Same deal?
Pretty sure the fuse pull deal is a non-issue with the LSA but I also know others will swear by it so by all means give it a try.

Quote:
Heat soak is also a mothersmurfer on these cars. You could be down 100hp if it's pulling a bunch of timing for hot IAT's. One reason I like running the Palmer Performance DashLogic is I can see how much total timing the engine is getting when I go wide open. 23-23.5* is usually what I see. ZL1 is also a bad choice for a drag car since they are heavy as heck. I do love it for what it is though. Comfy for daily driving, pretty quick in a straight line, and can get with it on a twisty road.
^^^^ This... you need to know what your IAT2 is running, especially in the summer. I had a bone stock Challenger catching me on the road track when my fluid pump went out and IAT's went up. And this was at 670 rwhp. So yes this is an important number to be aware of.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #48
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
I am one of these guys that leave the car running, here's why. I monitor my iat2's with aero force gauges. If I make a run and get back into the staging lanes and push my car up the line (shut off)for 20 min by the time I run all that heat has migrated up into my supercharger.
When I start the car my temps are at 58 to 60Celcius. HOT enough to pull timing and doesn't have enough time to cool down before I make a pass. If I idle the car up my iat2's stay around 40 to 42Celcius when I pull up to do a burnout. Under no boost idling the pump is circulating the intercooler coolant and my engine fans are drawing air through my heat exchanger. I've data logged my car several times and it will pull timing if I shut it off in the staging lanes
CanadianZL1#992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #49
JackalopeZL1

My self too.. I pop the hood, let it cool between runs.. A little effort to keep them cool goes a long way
Old 08-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #50
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackalopeZL1 View Post
My self too.. I pop the hood, let it cool between runs.. A little effort to keep them cool goes a long way
I open the hood also but let the car idle
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #51
jon6.0
Going for Plaid

Drives: 2011 C6
If you have HP Tuners you can also turn the blower coolant pump on with just the key in the on position. Same for the engine cooling fans.

Serviced and modded by Cordes Performance.

2011 C6, 750rwhp, forged LS3, ported LSA heads, Vortech Ti-trim, 227/243 115+4 Lunati cam, ported LS3 intake, Alky Control methanol, Pfadt sways/shocks/trans mounts, Pfadt tri-y headers(Sold 6/28/14)
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #52
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
2013 ZL1 auto 4,700 miles on it. I took it out to run with My 13.17 sec LS1 SS M6 on the street.
Maybe the car has a bad tune in it?
Maybe the previous owner had some mods and took them all off and didn't have the original tune back to stock? Maybe it's a tune thing? Either way, that should not happen at all.
Good luck going forward and keep us posted on your solution.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #53
CanadianZL1#992
ANGRY Z

Quote:
If you have HP Tuners you can also turn the blower coolant pump on with just the key in the on position. Same for the engine cooling fans.
That's my next step and would be a better option than idling
Old 08-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #54
Supaslw
Glue Mkr

Drives: 1999 Super Sport NBM, 2013 ZL1 BRM
Thanks for all the input, I will continue to do the little things like the fuse reset, and continue to put the higher octane fuel in it. Maybe I just need more time to play around with her.

2013 ZL1 aka (GLUE MKR) No Mods Yet.....
1999 SS aka (SUPA SLW) Comp cam, Few bolt on's.
Supaslw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #55
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Quote:
Thanks for all the input, I will continue to do the little things like the fuse reset, and continue to put the higher octane fuel in it. Maybe I just need more time to play around with her.

I wasn't trying to bash you but maybe dyno to see if all your power is there because I do see people from time to time posting low dynos even on YouTube and I know it's not normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #56
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
OP. i am baffled too . logic would seem like your new ZL1 would outrun the older camaro. what is the HP rating on your 99 SS, like 320? if i recall, the base z28 then was like 305 and the SS ram air was 325, at least in the trans am. the 99 is lighter than your ZL1 too. also, what is the gearing comparisons too? but, i have to agree, you shouldnt have to do anything to the car for it to outrun the older car. just seems strange to me too.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote