Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #43
John FInley

Drives: 2004 Kia Spectra
I do like the Cobalt SS alot, but here in Dallas, it's all about the import scene and Cobalts aren't hot cars to drive. Try picking someone up and saying, I drive a Cobalt SS! All they here is Cobalt, no SS!
John FInley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #44
65bus

Drives: 92 Z28, 72 Chevy truck, 65 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to 65bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by John FInley View Post
Sigh, it's true. I couldn't help it and I had no choice when I bought the thing.. I was in school and needed a car to replace my fried 1995 Honda Accor LX. I helped someone jump thier car, and they didn't ground the negative... all estimates were over $1000 to fix it, so I said NO!!!! Need a new car instead! When I bought that car, it was quicker than a equivalent Civic EX... That ticked off a lot of Civic people who were burnt at a stop light!
Heck, people were mad when I burnt them in my old yello Caddy too! ROFL
Augh dont feel bad i drive a Suzuki Aerio GS and it too had more power at 145hp for less than $15,000 but i only ended up with it cause i purchased a 99 Cougar with 12,000 miles on it and it tore up before 14,000 miles so i traded it for a new Suzuki being ive had Samurai's before and loved them why not try there cars and now 5 yrs later no problems ever outstanding car, They just dont offer a Camaro lol I have other musle cars i just used the Zuk for gas and DD
65bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #45
65bus

Drives: 92 Z28, 72 Chevy truck, 65 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to 65bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by John FInley View Post
I do like the Cobalt SS alot, but here in Dallas, it's all about the import scene and Cobalts aren't hot cars to drive. Try picking someone up and saying, I drive a Cobalt SS! All they here is Cobalt, no SS!
lol just take them for a ride theyll change there mind, then give them a week or two and youll see them driving one lol
65bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #46
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65bus View Post
Thats the old Cobalt SS the new one is diff in everyway. Went from 205hp -260hp and corvette inspired suspension.

Is that your GTO or just a vid, and if yours is it moded, nice cars and how do you like it.
I don't think 55 ponies is going to stop that pull....maybe i won't be completely by him by the tree.....but nearly I bet.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #47
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah but what happens when you turn?

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #48
camaro_burns_all

Drives: 04 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65bus View Post
First of all the Cobalt SS is a 2.0 TC it does over 160mph, and it just broke the single lap record at the Nurburgring in Germany . Show me a honda that can do that!

That just shows what we have to look foward to on the new camaros.

Ofcourse the Cobalt SS will beat the civic Si. Its Turbo Charged. Like I said earlier, boosted cobalt to boosted civic, now you are talking.

9/10 times a Cobalt will take the Civic Si, no doubt. But if the Civic is t/c, those numbers won't be so high. Don't under estimate the new Si, honda put a lot of work into them, they are actually quite fast for their class.

The Fact that Srt-4 and Cobalt SS, needs to be FI, to be faster than a Civic, doesnt quite show anything. Lets see a non-turbocharged 2.4l Cobalt SS against a Civic Si, it will get walked on all over

And Something tells me that those are not the correct numbers for the v6. I think GM underestimated them, nothing is official till they come out in 2010
camaro_burns_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #49
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yeah but what happens when you turn?
at 600 wot therei s no control....That's more then nascar
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #50
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
at 600 wot therei s no control....That's more then nascar
maybe at the plate races at 'dega and Daytona, but not at any of the other tracks. Power is about 800 hp for them
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:55 AM   #51
mega

Drives: 2007 mini cooper S
I would definitely drive one first, the cobalt has bad torque steer, it's not something you will get used to, I made that mistake, you don't get used to it, and it will piss you off every time it rears it's ugly head
mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #52
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_burns_all View Post
Ofcourse the Cobalt SS will beat the civic Si. Its Turbo Charged. Like I said earlier, boosted cobalt to boosted civic, now you are talking.

9/10 times a Cobalt will take the Civic Si, no doubt. But if the Civic is t/c, those numbers won't be so high. Don't under estimate the new Si, honda put a lot of work into them, they are actually quite fast for their class.

The Fact that Srt-4 and Cobalt SS, needs to be FI, to be faster than a Civic, doesnt quite show anything. Lets see a non-turbocharged 2.4l Cobalt SS against a Civic Si, it will get walked on all over

And Something tells me that those are not the correct numbers for the v6. I think GM underestimated them, nothing is official till they come out in 2010
Since Honda does not offer a Turbo Civic Si, your statements about the honda being faster IF it had a turbo is a non argument.
Since the Cobalt 2.4 has 166HP and the Civic Si has 197, and the Cobalt weighs 100 pounds more I can understand why the Civic would be faster than the non turbo Cobalt. same goes for the turbo Cobalt Vs the non turbo Civic. Just can't compare since the HP is too far apart.
So why is anyone even comparing the two?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #53
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Since the Cobalt 2.4 has 166HP and the Civic Si has 197, and the Cobalt weighs 100 pounds more I can understand why the Civic would be faster than the non turbo Cobalt. same goes for the turbo Cobalt Vs the non turbo Civic. Just can't compare since the HP is too far apart.
So why is anyone even comparing the two?
That would be my fault.

I listed several cars that the Civic Si performs better than in spite of their 400 cc advantage. The N/A Cobalt SS is just one of them.

Most car magazines rate the 2.4 Cobalt at or around 7 seconds 0-60, the Civic Si averages about a half second less to 60.

The 2.4 Cobalt SS feels faster and is easier to drive quickly because of it's better torque. Coming out of a corner one gear too high is much less of a disaster in the 2.4 SS. Stab your foot into the gas, it'll go. Drop the rpm too low in the Honda and you're in economy cam profile hell. No matter how much the intake cam phases, you're still on the little cam lobes.

It's really kind of a moot comparison though. You can buy a 2.2 Cobalt for less than $12,000. (MSRP is $13,710 but new Cobalts are often advertised as low as $10,000.) Honda lists it's base DX model for about $15,000 but none of the dealers (here) have one. No point in having a "loss-leader" when you are selling every Civic you have on the lot. You have to start at the LX model. About $5,000 more than a Cobalt. The major difference in options? The Cobalt makes you roll your own windows up and down.

The 2.4 Cobalt SS is on average $8-10,000 less than a Civic Si would be after all the dealer crap. And any new 2.4 Cobalt SS'es would be leftover models anyway making them even cheaper.

So, you are correct in more ways than one. No point in comparing. Only size classes the Cobalt and Civic together. Price separates them by miles. For the price (after all the dealer crap and dealer markup) of a Civic EX You could buy a G5 (which is absurdly more expensive than the Cobalt) and a used Cavalier.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #54
Rissa

Drives: 1997 Camaro z28
I have an '08 ss/tc weighs around 2750 pounds and trust me, it beats cars with the same amount of power that will be in the v6 Camaro, and it loves to play with civic si's.
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #55
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_burns_all View Post
sorry buddy, but Honda Engineers are pushing 200hp in a N/A car. Turbo charge those new Civic Si, and they will be pushing near 300hp.

Turbo Cobalt vs Turbo Si, the Si will take it.

The only reason Honda doesn't boost there civic, because civics are known for longetivity and honda wants to keep it that way
My 07 Si is a blast. Its not that much slower then the Cobalt.

Comparing the Cobalt to the new 2010 V6 Camaro is not possible.

Compact FWD car against a true RWD sports coupe. NO COMPARISON IMO.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #56
Rissa

Drives: 1997 Camaro z28
I've seen 2.4L cobalts beat civic si's, and it's a silly thing to say it won't compare. I'll even admit the ss/tc will most likely beat the v6 camaro, and that's coming from someone who's had 3 camaros.
Rissa is offline   Reply With Quote