Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #43
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Your quote from Bob is correct, that is what he said. My interpretation that he may have confused the engines is that they are both the same engine, both 3.6 liter displacement, both with 4 overhead cams, 24 valves, and variable timing and lift.
I think that the point of the earlier post was that the engine is dual overhead cam. In a sense, Lutz is right. A V6 will have a total of four camshafts.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #44
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
One thing to note however, my wifes 08 CTS DI V6 does not get the gas mileage they say, it is much worse. The smaller V6 did get much better gas mileage, might be the better choice in these $4.00/gal gas prices
I've never had a vehicle get the MPG claimed.

My '05 Aveo has never even managed 30mpg, let alone over. And in mixed with mostly city driving it's usually between 21-25. I keep track every time I fill it up. And last time I only got 20mpg.

So if the Camaro can get over 20mpg there won't be much of a change for me...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #45
Sphinx002

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I've never had a vehicle get the MPG claimed.

My '05 Aveo has never even managed 30mpg, let alone over. And in mixed with mostly city driving it's usually between 21-25. I keep track every time I fill it up. And last time I only got 20mpg.

So if the Camaro can get over 20mpg there won't be much of a change for me...
I've never had a car not get the mileage claimed. In fact, most got better. I've had some you had to baby to get it and others that I didn't have to drive light on the pedal to get it.

My current Subaru Legacy GT is supposed to get 18/24, but I get 22 in mixed driving and I got 26 to 27 mpg when I drove it from Mass to Florida and that was with the cruise set to 75mph. Miles on the car are 35K

The Aura, which has the 3.6L is supposed to get 17/26, and usually does better in the city, but is about right on the highway.

The Acadia also uses the 3.6L and is supposed to get 16/22 and does get about 16 in the city, however you have to baby it to get 22 on the highway and keep it under 72mph.

The Lexus GX470 was supposed to get 14/17 and did slightly better on both
The BMW 325 17/25 and it never got less than 21 mpg in the city and easily did 30mpg on the highway
The RSX type S did better than advertised
The Tahoe did better (god I loved that 5.3L)
The Buick Regal GS did better (3.8L supercharged)
The Acura TL did slightly better

That takes me back to around 2000, can't remember before that other than I remember that the ol' GMC sonoma did rather well too and all my motorcycles did rather well...lol.
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #46
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I guess I'm just a power nut. I must have at least 400+hp in my Camaro or I won't be happy. A V6 Camaro will do nothing for me (unless its got a turbo or supercharger on it and its making 400+hp).
There are just too many fast cars on the road (EVO's, STi.s G8 GTs, BMW 135i) this list goes on). The rumor is the new Mustang GT will have 400hp in a year or two? And as mentioned, most of the family sedans (Altimas, Camry's, etc) are now running 14 sec 1/4 mile times.

The new 370z will be making 330-350hp and weigh considerably less than the Camaro. It should run easy low to mid 13s at the track.

The Camaro needs at least 400hp to stay in front or beat all the competition out there.

But we all know the V6 will be the bread and butter Camaro for GM. I expect to see tons of girls and older foke purchasing the V6s (just as its always been).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #47
Cyberstyx

Drives: Seat Leon 1.8 20VT
Send a message via MSN to Cyberstyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
... We've always been led to believe that the top dog will be released about the same time as the vert, roughly 6 months after the V6 and base V8 go on sale...
I was under the impression that the V6, V8 and demented V8 will be released at the same time (for the coupe).

I was wrong?
Cyberstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #48
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think the demented V8 will be released in a year or so. It would be so cool to see one at the same time as the car's introduction, but I don't think that will be the case.

I still wonder what the weight of the car is going to be.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #49
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
It's gonna make me tear to pieces if the demented is released with the ragtop...because my intent has been to buy a ragtop since before the concept vert made it's debut...but if there's a crazy Z/28 or SS (whatever they call top dog) for the same cost....oh man I'm screwed.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #50
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I think that the point of the earlier post was that the engine is dual overhead cam. In a sense, Lutz is right. A V6 will have a total of four camshafts.
That must be what he was referring to, since he also said 24 valves and we know that he didn't mean 8 valves per cylinder.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #51
Croathlete
Danny

Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I really don't know how to feel about this. Ever since I drove my friend's '94 Z28, all I ever wanted was a V8 Camaro. When I first heard they were coming back, all I could talk about was getting a V8 Camaro. I loved everything about the V8; the power, prestige, etc.

That was a couple of years ago. Now with the economy the way it is, the dream of owning the V8 I always wanted is slowly fading away. Up until a couple of days ago, I was still determined to get the V8. Now with the news that the V6 will most likely close the performance gap between the two models, the V6 really seems like the best bang for the buck.

It may seem weird, but I am kind of disappointed because if it really exceeds expectations in price, performance, mileage, etc, there's really no argument (in my case) to get the V8 anymore. At least if the V6 was "just a V6" like in past generations, I would have no reservations about getting the V8.

I know I should be happy the V6 will be a great machine, but for someone like me who always wanted a V8, I'm now really unsettled about what to do.

I know a lot of responses will be that those who can afford the V8 will buy the V8. While I can afford the V8's sticker, gas, insurance, etc, I'm not exactly able to flush money down the drain either. I feel like I'm at the border between these two cars and this news (unfortunately for me) puts me more I think in V6 territory.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Sorry if none of this makes sense. Hopefully when solid info comes out, I can make a better judgment about what to do.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think what happened is that they were expecting the V8 to be a 9/10 and it turns out to be an 10/10. The V6 was expected to be say a 5/10 and it turns out to be a 7/10. The performance gap is still there, the V8 just wasn't as big of a surprise as the V6.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #53
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberstyx View Post
I was under the impression that the V6, V8 and demented V8 will be released at the same time (for the coupe).

I was wrong?
I got a Question? what is easiest to tuned out, mid v8 or demented v8

Example: Challenger R/T and Challenger SRT8, mid level v8 is easier to tune out and would get the best performance, while the faster more powerful SRT v8 is the hardiest to tune and low performed when tune, and this goes for any engine, is this true....

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #54
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I think what happened is that they were expecting the V8 to be a 9/10 and it turns out to be an 10/10. The V6 was expected to be say a 5/10 and it turns out to be a 7/10. The performance gap is still there, the V8 just wasn't as big of a surprise as the V6.
Exactly!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #55
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I got a Question? what is easiest to tuned out, mid v8 or demented v8
Nobody can possibly answer that because nobody knows what those two engines will be.

YOur example is somewhat flawed though...the reason the SRT8 would see "less tunable" is because it is factory-tuned already some...so the aftermarket modifications will make less of an impact than on a factory-neutered engine (less head-flow, restricted intake and exhausts, etc). Just keep that in mind.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #56
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Nobody can possibly answer that because nobody knows what those two engines will be.

YOur example is somewhat flawed though...the reason the SRT8 would see "less tunable" is because it is factory-tuned already some...so the aftermarket modifications will make less of an impact than on a factory-neutered engine (less head-flow, restricted intake and exhausts, etc). Just keep that in mind.
I see.... and FYI all srt engines are not speed limited, just limited buy RPM's

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote