Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #43
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
haven't really pushed it around corners and probably never will driving around town. Getting on it with a nice straight open road is one thing, but high speed cornering is just not something I would attempt unless on a closed race track.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #44
extremepcs

Drives: 2010 2SS Automatic - Black
I like the handling for the most part, but wow... I feel every little bump in the road and it tends to wander when hitting them. I guess I'm just still used to my truck. I love it on smooth roads, but as I'm sure my fellow Michigan residents will agree, there ain't many of them in this state. Maybe I should move south.
extremepcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #45
4xchamp
MURC 666

Drives: 69 Pace Car 68 Camaro Restomod 81 Z
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
The handling SUCKS! Sure, it feel "OK" going around loooong sweeping turns such as freeway on-ramps and similar but if you live where the canyons are your backyard track, or have driven cars such as 3-series BMW, 1995 -present M3, Corvettes, 300-370Z, Evo, WRX, you know this car's handling represents its vast weight. Those who say this car's handling is "awesome", go out test drive a 2009 BMW 328 or a new 370Z (same price-range as 2SS since some of you will surely pull out the price-card)

2010 Camaro at Laguna Seca, out-running a 370Z??? Gimme a break.
Yes , the Camaro should be lighter .
I wouldn't be caught owning the Z or the B . There are 4 cars in my opinion , Chevy , Caddy , Ferrari , Lamborghini .
A man in a 3 series gets winked at by other guys , the guy in the Z wants the Lamborghini but can't afford it . ( and probably gets a wink or two )
The Camaro is a Muscle Car just like the American originals , right down to the stripes .
No import can compare to a Chevelle , 442 , 'Cuda etc. , it's a muscle car thing and if you want to start comparing cornering Gs you just don't get it .
Those cars wrote history and the new breed is perpetuating it .
Only America has USA1 .
Don't you forget it !
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #46
johndawg
I'd rather be shooting...

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Black
Send a message via AIM to johndawg
Quote:
The handling SUCKS! Sure, it feel "OK" going around loooong sweeping turns such as freeway on-ramps and similar but if you live where the canyons are your backyard track, or have driven cars such as 3-series BMW, 1995 -present M3, Corvettes, 300-370Z, Evo, WRX, you know this car's handling represents its vast weight. Those who say this car's handling is "awesome", go out test drive a 2009 BMW 328 or a new 370Z (same price-range as 2SS since some of you will surely pull out the price-card)

Are you high?

The Official Photographer of the 2010, 2011 & 2012 Camaro5 Fests!!! www.theshuttergroup.com
johndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #47
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The Camaro is in direct competition market wise with the M3 among others.
I disagree. Very few people would cross shop the BMW M3 with the Camaro. That BMW handles much better and is faster than a Camaro and is filled with luxury goodies. And is way more expensive.

The 1 series and 328 BMWs are closer in price to the Camaro. Of these the 135 handles better and is very close in speed. But it is a very small car. However interior wise it may not be all that much smaller.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #48
extremepcs

Drives: 2010 2SS Automatic - Black
Pretty sure BMW requires a fake tan and a pink polo with the collar up to even test drive one...
extremepcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #49
Tarl

Drives: Rally Yellow/black -2010 Camaro
I dont have an SS guys, but I do have and RS. The thing handles GREAT! I take my RS on all the same twisty, curvy roads that I ride my Ducati on and it swallows them up. It is very fun to drive a high performance car on the same roads as a high performance bike. Stiff suspension that hardly sways at all, wide tires that grip the road and very good brakes. The V8 will accelerate out of the corners harder (400lbs of torque does that) but the RS is no slouch. So I'm enjoying it alot! My fun car. My commuter is a 2003 VW TDI.
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:30 PM   #50
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xchamp View Post
Yes , the Camaro should be lighter .
I wouldn't be caught owning the Z or the B . There are 4 cars in my opinion , Chevy , Caddy , Ferrari , Lamborghini .
A man in a 3 series gets winked at by other guys , the guy in the Z wants the Lamborghini but can't afford it . ( and probably gets a wink or two )
The Camaro is a Muscle Car just like the American originals , right down to the stripes .
No import can compare to a Chevelle , 442 , 'Cuda etc. , it's a muscle car thing and if you want to start comparing cornering Gs you just don't get it .
Those cars wrote history and the new breed is perpetuating it .
Only America has USA1 .
Don't you forget it !
YES!! My man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndawg View Post
Are you high?
And his shit is better than ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremepcs View Post
Pretty sure BMW requires a fake tan and a pink polo with the collar up to even test drive one...
HAHAHA!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #51
joeaux
Kicker!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2LT/RS
I owned two STi's before this car. They handle better period. But that being said, this car (2SS/RS) doesn't handle bad by any means. It handles great for what it is. As far as I'm concerned that massive horsepower makes up for any handling deficiency that it has. The ride is much, much better than the STi (I had an '05 and an '08) and the power is way better than the 300 of the Scoob's. There is no way I'm going back to Subaru. Assuming that is that these cars hold up over time (knock on wood). I own two of them. My wife has a 2LT/RS and I have a 2SS/RS. Yeah, I hope they hold up.
-joe-
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #52
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Stock I hated the car and was about to sell it. After trying 90% of whats on the market I got my car dialed in almost 100%. I am very happy but it requires alot of work and dedication because not all the products performed as advertised. Lots of testing and flipping stuff I didnt like on Ebay.

My next order is to get my custom adjustable power steering system in after months waiting for custom parts to be made for me. This will take the nervous feel out of the front wheels for sure at high speeds.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #53
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
answer to thread question: No, I am not happy with the handling.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #54
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Sorry, I have already smoked a BMW 328 in exactly the circumstances you list here. It was easy. It just became a small spec in the mirror one I got around him. Not impressed with BMW. Never have been. I wouldn't have a WRX. M3s, 370Zs, Evos, don't scare me either. Vette might be an upgrade for me in the future. I love my 2SS and it handles just fine.

I think you need to step back and be aware of other cars potentials as to not sound like a nutswinging camaro owner. Any new bmw, even old M3s, 370Z's, EVO's especially will eat your Camaro in turns. Even the the GT with a solid rear axle is out handling the Camaro in stock form and out braking it. I owned a 99 Cobra and thought it handled better than the new camaro, sure enough I looked it up, even a car 10 years older had a better slalom and skipad numbers than the ss.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #55
ART-2008

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro 6M, 2005 Lotus Elise
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
I think you need to step back and be aware of other cars potentials as to not sound like a nutswinging camaro owner. Any new bmw, even old M3s, 370Z's, EVO's especially will eat your Camaro in turns. Even the the GT with a solid rear axle is out handling the Camaro in stock form and out braking it. I owned a 99 Cobra and thought it handled better than the new camaro, sure enough I looked it up, even a car 10 years older had a better slalom and skipad numbers than the ss.
I also drive a Lotus Elise with the Sport (track) package. It is arguably one of the best handling cars on the planet. I have taken the Lotus to several track days. It will turn circles around the Camaro, but also rides like the shocks are welded in place!

99% of the time I would much sooner be in the Camaro. I read several road tests critical of the Camaro's handling before I got mine, and feared it would handle like a parade float. I think Chevrolet hit the perfect "sweet spot" in handling between performance and comfort for 95% of the people who buy this car.

Slalom times really don't mean crap when discussing the Camaro, slalom times ALWAYS punish a wider car like the Camaro. I agree with you that skidpad numbers are very relevant.
ART-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #56
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:

I took my 2010 SS out to the road course the 2nd day I had the car. It handled great for a factory car, in that price range I might add. Completely stock I was lapping Homestead at low to mid 1.40's. For a comparison my buddy with a supercharged M3, full cage, gutted interior etc and R-compounds was only 3 sec ahead of me.

But when hitting the track HARD as I was I did notice the factory built in understeer. They always dial understeer in because it's considered safe for the average driver on the street.

Come Pfadt Swaybars, Pfadt springs and an alignment and now my car out handles stock Corvettes, BMW's and Porsche's. And I am still on street tires! I do have more power, but still all motor and no F/I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class1E View Post
I wish they had posted in-car videos of all the cars lapping the track, but they only posted videos of four cars (Corvette ZR1, Lambo Murcielago, Audi R8, and Ariel Atom). I was looking forward to watching the Camaro SS vid just to see how it compared with the others. Oh well.....
Here are two incar vids of mine, one from Homestead and one from Palm Beach International Raceway!

Torq 2010 Camaro SS @ Palm Beach Intl Raceway

Torq 2010 Camaro SS @ Homestead Miami Speedway
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote