Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-28-2014, 06:49 AM   #43
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i just checked mine. Drive wise. it lists what your truck was doing and at 8pm on the 19 it recorded 2 extreme braking events. funny I was at work from 2:45pm to 11pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
they show a more detailed description of each event if you click on it. on the detailed description it showed after 11pm when I was driving it. they have a chart with times but it doesnt match when you click on the event.
here is a list of what drivewise collects
http://www.allstate.com/landingpages/drivewisedevice.aspx
What I'm seeing in that link is that the time stamp is GMT, so you might have to correct that to local time by subtracting the time of day difference between where you live and Greenwich, England. That would be either 6 or 7 hours depending on whether you're on Central or Mountain time.

But if it is possible for the time stamp data to become corrupted, that's a huge problem.

What I'm also seeing in that link is "extreme braking" identified and flagged separately from "hard braking", acceleration being flagged if above some threshold, and somewhat indirectly even cornering. I am assuming that hypermiling is being tracked based on repetitive "pulse and glide" driving, (which tends to upset the steady flow of traffic, presumably increases risk, and might be the only always-good feature). An autocross run might make its pointy little head explode.

As difficult as I thought it might be yesterday, the more I learn about this, the less I like it.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-28-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #44
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
You could buy Progressive Insurance or you could just send a check to George Soros yourself. It's your choice.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #45
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrost View Post
I don't think I could do 6 months of monitoring. I'm a very safe driver. I usually do 5 under the speed limit under normal driving conditions. Of course I do like to get on it once in awhile and that's what would get me in trouble. I only pay $59 bucks a month for full coverage with all the add on coverage I could get and free windshield replacement. $500 deductible. Car is in the shop now for repairs after taking out some deer. covered under my comprehensive plan and they told me my rates would not go up. Never had a ticket or wreck in my life. Pay $59 bucks a month for full coverage on my Dodge truck too.

Sounds like your a incredibly unsafe driver for everyone else on the road. Idiots like you cause accidents. Get off the road or drive the speed limit at least. You should be driving with the flow of traffic, not blocking the road by being dumb.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #46
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Shoooot I drive like 12 miles one way to work! On the way to work I always encounter that less that intelligent driver who decides he/she needs to make that exit at the last minute to go catch a belt buster burger from one of the fast food restaurants.

It's one of the drawbacks of living in Texas. You might be allowed to drive a little faster than the national average MPH on the highways, but good lord do you have to deal with some of the most, excuse my language for lack of a better word, retarded son beeches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Sounds like your a incredibly unsafe driver for everyone else on the road. Idiots like you cause accidents. Get off the road or drive the speed limit at least. You should be driving with the flow of traffic, not blocking the road by being dumb.
You might not want to directly insult someone on this forum buddy. Just a friendly warning before you get an infraction and possibly banned later on. Also, you're always going to run into people that still think driving 5 below the limit is safe and there is no changing their minds. Not even with a DPS representative standing in front of an audience in an auditorium telling people how driving under the limit is equally as dangerous as driving over the limit.

Fact of the mater is, drivers in general need to practice offensive driving...wait I meant to say defensive driving!
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #47
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What I'm seeing in that link is that the time stamp is GMT, so you might have to correct that to local time by subtracting the time of day difference between where you live and Greenwich, England. That would be either 6 or 7 hours depending on whether you're on Central or Mountain time.

But if it is possible for the time stamp data to become corrupted, that's a huge problem.

What I'm also seeing in that link is "extreme braking" identified and flagged separately from "hard braking", acceleration being flagged if above some threshold, and somewhat indirectly even cornering. I am assuming that hypermiling is being tracked based on repetitive "pulse and glide" driving, (which tends to upset the steady flow of traffic, presumably increases risk, and might be the only always-good feature). An autocross run might make its pointy little head explode.

As difficult as I thought it might be yesterday, the more I learn about this, the less I like it.

Norm
Not sure about the other companies devices, but as best I can tell Progressive isn't monitoring any kind of rapid acceleration. The first 30 days I conscientiously avoided braking hard. Outside of that, I tested the waters a little (nothing extreme) and was surprised to see nothing reported outside of the two hard brakes in 30 days. I was pretty aware of when I registered a hard brake. Once someone turned in front of me leaving me no alternative and the other was a simple case of I nearly missed my turn due to being in a hurry to get to the airport.
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #48
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
I recently signed up for this same program with Liberty Mutual. They only monitor for 90 days and they track hard acceleration, hard braking, total miles driven and driving between 12am and 4am. I figured I'd run my 90 days during the winter, when I drive extremely carefully anyway since I'm on the P-Zeros and don't trust them much in the cold. I also travel for work quite a bit, so I figured why not earn discounts while the car just sits in the garage?

I do agree with the yellow light thing, as I realized the same thing about avoiding hard braking. However, other drivers very rarely cause me to brake hard, since I leave quite a bit of room behind the car in front of me (I've got enough rock chips on the front of the car already).
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #49
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Never ! Got enough big brother watching us without adding more to it. Funny to hear Camaro owners adding this crap to lower rates. Drive and enjoy or buy a Hybrid if you are worried. Lol
Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #50
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Just ask your insurance company call the NSA and get your daily driving records.....he'll they watch everything else
Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #51
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
The snapshot is suppose to monitor your car for 39 days and then you send it back in. It monitors your acceleration rate, how much percent you apply the brakes, and other stuff that they use to calculate your premium. So if you jam on your brakes or brake too hard it goes against you.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #52
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
I tried the "Snapshot" in my daily driver (not my Camaro). You can log on and see your "incidents" and for the first 30 days, I was the only one who drove my car. My "initial" discount after 30 days was 18% (my rates are already pretty darn low). However, they then want you to leave it in the car for 5 more months. After that I started sharing my car with my husband. He had at least one "hard braking" incident every time he drove the car. I had very few when I was driving. Of course, the Snapshot device can't tell who's driving the car, and of course they don't care because either way the car is on their policy, so after 6 months, we were not offered the discount, but it didn't go up either. I'm still curious if the discount would have remained on there if he hadn't been driving my car a good bit. Oh well....no way would we try it on the Camaro or my husband's truck....LOL
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote