Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #43
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Angry much, prime reason these forms have turned into bitch fest. As a proud owner of my 11 Camaro at cost around 40k having top wrinkles are normal. My buddy has a mustang cobra same wrinkes and a viper same wrinkles and marks both cars costing a lot more money. Both saying same thing its all part of owning a vert.

Not Bi-polar at all just think complaining about something that opens and close having wrinkles is a little crazy.

GM has never told me im poop out of luck.

Dealer gave me a 6yr 100k warranty when i purchased the camaro so i think im covered.

In the first place...there is a difference between the wrinkles your are describing and the rub marks that are causing holes in the tops.

In the second place....even excessive wrinkles are NOT normal nor should they be acceptable with a convertible. My wifes T-Bird is 9 years old, has 37K miles, is not garage kept, yet the original top still looks brand new. The top on my 1991 Jeep does not have wrinkles or rub marks (not original top, but this top is now 5 years old). Even my used 1974 Fiat (Fix It Again Tony) that I had back in the 80's had a great top...no wrinkles or rub marks.

I'm not talking about wrinkles that appear when you first put the top up and then disappear over night...those are normal as it is fabric. However, wrinkles that appear permanent are NOT normal.

That being said, even after reading all of the posts about vert top issues, I have still ordered one that is being built this week....because I am like a moth to a flame and just love the car. My beleif is that GM will resolve the top issues, and hopefully already have on the new 2013's. I just hope GM steps up and stops giving people with older vehicles (read that as not brand new) a hard time about their top issues and will stand behind their product and make things right.

One last item...please make sure to look over your warranty thoroughly to make sure your top is covered under this extended warranty. Many are saying it is exempt. I cannot comment on your warranty but would encourage you to do this so you have peace of mind.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #44
Gio Bella

Drives: Camaro 2SS Convertible,blk,blk int
Yes I love my convertible and yes I get mad over the top rub marks and wrinkles,
I'm an old timer who owned more rag tops in my life than I can remember, starting with a 1965 Mustang to a 1971 Corvette, 76 TR-6, 1991 Nissan 240sx, etc,etc,etc. Never had any top issueswith any of them.
I bought this car because it is one of the most beautiful looking cars made today, if you park it next to a brand new Mustang 5.0 convertible there is no comparison, the lines with the top down are just fantastic! Do I feel like Bulllett, some day's I do because this car is 6 months old and I wouldn't drive it home from the dealership the day of delivery because it was raining! (I baby this one!)But then you have a day like last Sunday here in Connecticut, you put the top down and cruise the shoreline then my wife looks at me and thanks me for having such a great day. Will I keep this car? You betcha, do I hope they fix my top properly? Yes to that question too.

Hoping for a beautiful summer,

Gio
Gio Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #45
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
Yup. At GM for not caring about people who spent good money for a product that is defective. Tell all those people that have rub marks and holes in their tops and lakes in their back seats to just forget about it......oh wait, GM already did.

Yes, because if there is a problem that a company denies for long enough, then obviously the problem is with the customer. He should just shut up and live with it.

Keep the pressure on folks.

If this is true, then why are there Camaros out there that have no problems? Why are there TSB's? Why is GM trying to re-design the top?

And gee, your buddies are a whole lot more important than me. My cars have been a Chrysler Sebring, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Pontiac GTO (damn I loved that car) and an old 66 Mustang. All of these had problems (because they all had over 100k and many years on them). None of them had the rub marks that we are seeing consistantly on these Camaros.

Maybe your buddies better get to their dealerships.

Belittling the problem. Hmm, are you sure you don't work for GM? Because that's what they are doing to countless customers. "Don't put it down wet" "Don't leave it down" "Just wash off the marks with soap and water" "You must have left something in the trunk that popped the bow"

All direct answers from GM.

Ah, now we get to the crux of your position. "Its all about me". As long as number one is ok, then what's the problem? I don't have holes in my top or lakes in my rear seat, so what are all you babies whining about?

As long as "im covered" then screw the rest of you.

Sorry, I don't roll that way
+1

I have had my fair share of issues..popped bow and now a fishtank in the rear seat floor area.The real issue is with GM.When I called GM customer service directly after my 5th bow popped,to ask which dealer has experience with repairing tops..Their reply was "sorry can't help you..take it to the dealer".I said I was trying to take it to a dealer but wanted to take it to a dealer with convertible roof experience..GM said can't help you.

This is the type of responses the reason people are pissed off.Most owners are reasonable and just want to be taken care of should a problem arise.The issue I see, is that GM is being reactive rather than proactive with the problems.The bean counters at GM are controlling things.That is why I believe you see band aid fixes.Gm is only fixing one problem at a time.so they fix problem A.Then problem A+B.Then problem A+B+C.Instead of replacing the entire top and mechanism the 1st time.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #46
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnGrad93 View Post
Had my 2SS Vert for a month now and 3k miles with zero issues!!! Absolutely LOVE this car!!!
Congratulations! I am sure you turn heads everyday. Such a perfect vehicle for the summer as well! What is your favorite feature so far on the 2SS?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #47
evlar

Drives: 2011 (L99) 2SS/RS vert
Quote:
Yup. At GM for not caring about people who spent good money for a product that is defective. Tell all those people that have rub marks and holes in their tops and lakes in their back seats to just forget about it......oh wait, GM already did.

Yes, because if there is a problem that a company denies for long enough, then obviously the problem is with the customer. He should just shut up and live with it.

Keep the pressure on folks.

If this is true, then why are there Camaros out there that have no problems? Why are there TSB's? Why is GM trying to re-design the top?

And gee, your buddies are a whole lot more important than me. My cars have been a Chrysler Sebring, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Pontiac GTO (damn I loved that car) and an old 66 Mustang. All of these had problems (because they all had over 100k and many years on them). None of them had the rub marks that we are seeing consistantly on these Camaros.

Maybe your buddies better get to their dealerships.

Belittling the problem. Hmm, are you sure you don't work for GM? Because that's what they are doing to countless customers. "Don't put it down wet" "Don't leave it down" "Just wash off the marks with soap and water" "You must have left something in the trunk that popped the bow"

All direct answers from GM.

Ah, now we get to the crux of your position. "Its all about me". As long as number one is ok, then what's the problem? I don't have holes in my top or lakes in my rear seat, so what are all you babies whining about?

As long as "im covered" then screw the rest of you.

Sorry, I don't roll that way
Bravo, Bullett. I am with your line of reasoning on these. I just have a hard time giving GM over $500 a month for a poorly designed, flawed product that was advertised to be a well working product that is free from defects.

Bottom line is, until GM openly admits that the tops are flawed in design and will make it right through a recall, buyback, or extended warranty... we are not going to stop complaning and hopefully educate others before they buy!
evlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #48
VenomInside
Just Grazing

Drives: 2003 EB Corvette Z06
I love that I got out of that lemon of a vert and into my coupe. Would not go back.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert 6MT (Lemon-Sold)
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 458rwhp/458rwtq (Sold)
1996 Mystic Cobra 455rwhp/400rwtq (sold)
1999 BGC T/A 377rwhp/360rwtq (sold)
2004 Silver Cobra 600rwhp/540rwtq (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
2012 zl1... the new 99 cobra?
VenomInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #49
topscomindown!

Drives: 2012 Black Convertible 2LT/RS
I'm happy and don't hate my vert.. I haven't had any issues yet but thanks to this forum I am aware of the top having problems.. So I'm preparing myself for the worst and hoping for the best!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #50
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
^^Assinine statement.

I expect a hell of a lot more for my $40k than rub marks that GM wants to call "normal" that are rubbing through the top. As well as, I've owned 4 other convertibles that did NOT have these "normal" rub marks.

Bipolar much? Which position do you want to take? Are you saying these rub marks are normal? Or are you saying they are not?

And you left out the part where GM said these marks are normal and they would do nothing more. You're poop out of luck. doesn't sound like GM realizes they have a problem.

I'm not going to stand down from this. "Oh don't worry about those little marks. All cars have them." Not in my experience. And they don't make holes in the first few thousand miles either. And they don't have lakes, and they don't have broken bows etc...

But you are welcome to go on your merry way and I wish you the best. Right up to that 36,100 mile mark when you notice that those rub marks have become holes and GM will tell you to go pound sand.

As for my drop top? Love it, I just hate the way GM is handling this problem.
If you would like, I can look into the concern you are having a little bit further. I just need your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership. Also send me all of the details you have concerning the top and what your dealership has already addressed. I look forward to your reply.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #51
IBM2ss2012v

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM Convertable
I love mine.. one issue but it was fixed quickly.. driver side ball joint separated from the hydraulic lift mechanism. not sure of the technical name...

02/28/2012 (1100)(1102)
03/06/2012 (2000)(2500)(3000)
03/22/2012 (3100)(3300)
04/02/2012 (3400)
04/12/2012 (3800)(4000)(4150)(4B00)
04/13/2012 (4200)
04/18/2012 (4800)(4B00)
04/23/2012 (4200)(5000)(6000)
IBM2ss2012v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #52
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
I too have had my fair share of problems with this car but only related to the top. I still love driving this car everything else has been great, a absolute blast to drive. I have owned every generation of camaro and this is by far the best ever. I am just waiting for a permanent fix for the appearance problems. GM seems to have fixed my mechanical issues I have no leaks and the top is 85% as quiet as it was new and rub marks are very minimal but should not be there. As for wrinkles it is cloth so they will appear but they do seem to be excessive when compared to other verts.
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #53
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by totgate View Post
Why do you people with bad tops "destroy" each and every topic on this board. This thread was about nice tops not to listen to the same people bitching over and over again. Dont you guys have your own threads you have started to write. Why do you have to destroy for everybody else in here. I know that you are extremely angry with GM, fine, but enough is enough you dont need to shout about in every new thread that is started in here. If you are determined to destroy all the fun in here you are just inches away from succeding.. :-(
Ah, I really do love this question. I'm glad you asked it. If you look at the OP's passive agressive first post;

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Just trying to take a poll because all I hear are people who hate this car. I have been in the same boat with top(without car for two weeks). But GM and my dealer are doing all they can to fix the problem. I give them both a lot of credit for how easy the whole process has been at least with me. Besides that this is a dream car and a convertible none the less. Wrinkles are going to appear, lines may show if you guys didnt want this then they also make the camaro in a hard top. I love droping the top and cruising but with that added feature you deal with the wrinkles and rub marks all tops have them. GM has realized their top wears in spots more and are fixing the issue. I love this car no matter what. Just my two cents.
You can see in the parts that I highlighted that the OP had a hidden message to get across. He apparently thinks that those of us who have problems should just suck it up and call it normal. And if we don't like it, then get lost and buy a coupe.

Yup, the same message we are getting from GM. THAT is why I NEED to respond. Hey, you dump the attitude of "whiners whining about nothing" and the thread moves on. But why do those people have to insist on trying to get THEIR negativity (yup I said their negativity) out there in a backhanded way like that?

Here's a thread I started just to get some positive pics going (because I honestly like looking at other people's car that are nice a clean. In hopes that mine will someday be the same) http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226556 You'll see that there was some initial conversation about it, but I ignored it and the thread moved on.

And yet, well after it has moved on, we get this;
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper11 View Post
This being not my first but my third vert. If your top is down for any time at all it will have fold marks. It can't be helped. Don't put the top down if that bothers you. I do have a rub mark where the top does not fold tight on the drivers side but I simpliy push it down when I get out. IT is a movable part and will show some kind of wear but that is why you bought it right because it's movable??? Love mine and use it often. Oh yeah! 1st vert was a 80's mustang...2nd and still have it is a 73 SL mercedes and my 11 camaro. This is camaro # 6 for me.
Why? I guess just to stoke the fires?

So all the threads on here are just filled with us "whiners" complaining. Lets's see;
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228977
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229871
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229585
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229659
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226748
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229768
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229773
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224932
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229356
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229613

And what do all these threads have in common? They don't start out with a hidden agenda of belittling those that have problems.

Yup sure, there are plenty of threads on here complaining about problems we have with tops. But that is because there are SO many problems and GM has proven that they are using a strategy of denial (or blaming the customer) to avoid many of these problems. For that you will get no apology from me.

I DO find it sad that when you look in here (the convertible section) you see all these problems and negativity. But that is easily addressed; simply have GM do the right thing for those of us with problems (and judging from what "everyone" is saying on here, there must be a lot of problems).

Oh yeah, one more thing; sell it any way you like, but I'm actually a very happy and helpful person. Along with that second trait comes having to spend the time to do things like this so that others are not out by themselves. I'm a big boy and I got big shoulders. I'll shoulder the angst if it helps others.

But really, totgate, thank you for bringing up that question (um, that is sincerity not sarcasm )
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #54
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
I'm sure you folks that are having problems with your convertible top is a very small per-cent of all Camaro's sold over the last few years. I joined this site last year before I actually bought my car. Bought the 45th Anniversary, 2LT with the V6 on 3/11/12/ Carbon Flash Metallic and have added custom Red brake caliper covers and Red bow-tie's. Anyway this is my first convertible and I'm retired and loving the attention my car gets around this samall town and the V-6 is plenty of power for me. Sorry I'm unable to post pictures since I don't have what ever I need to post pictures and at my age, I just keep it simple. Anyway the negative comments I read, certainly did not stop me from buying my very first convertible and it's been alot of fun.
Bought my first car in 1962 and in all the new cars I have owned in my life time, I really can't remember any major problems.
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #55
evlar

Drives: 2011 (L99) 2SS/RS vert
What is fascinating and also frustrating to me about these top issues is that GM does not seem care about customer lifetime value. Take my situation for example. I am mid 30's, buy a new car on average every three years. This C5 vert is my first GM purchase (I've owned Ford, Honda and VW) and my first convertible. For a new car, I am shocked at the design flaws that exist. How this car ever made it through the years of testing and the engineers didn't notice some of these issues is beyond me. But back to my point. It is clear that I will buy many more cars in my lifetime and GM is on the verge of losing my business forever.

I would not be surprised if I am alone in this line of thinking and however many more people have strayed from purchasing this vert due to these top issues that are becoming more prevalent every day we own them.

I'll finish by saying that I am not trying to be cynical, I am simply looking at the facts of my situation and what appears to be the same for many others. Having said this, I am still trying to enjoy this vehicle the best I can .
evlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #56
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
GM lost my business. I have a son turning 16 soon. I was going to get my wife a new Sonic or Spark since she doesn't really need anything except good gas mileage. Not now with the issues I had with my last 2012 Camaro Vert. Plus, I gave GM a chance to make it right with my new 2nd Camaro. So far 1900 miles, top down 27 times, and only 1 trip to the dealer for a minor adjustment.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote