Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #43
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post
It's entirely possible that your oil pump failed prematurely as a result of your modifications to the engine.
Please explain. I would be very interested in the technical details as it may save me some effort should I pursue the issue further.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #44
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
And so on we go... Perhaps a lesson learned.

To me, when you upped the ante by having your engine modified in such a manner, you took a risk. Subsequent to thaht, what you feel is an unrelated internal part failed. But, it is a key internal component to the functionality of the engine.

Directly related to the modifications or not, it is partof the engione package. THe modification of the engine, left you hanging.

If I were you: Cut your losses, don't go into a battle you kow you don't stand a chance on winning. The warranty seems (at least to me) pretty clear on limitations on what you can do to your powertrain.

Sorry, I feel your pain, but its part of one of life's lessons.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:57 PM   #45
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Everyone likes to bring up the Magnuson Moss act and say that you have to prove that the part caused the failure, etc. etc. but when I read it, it doesn't say anything about that.

All it says as related to aftermarket parts is that GM can't deny you warranty if you decide to not use an AC Delco oil filter on your car or drop a Fram air filter in there. It doesn't say anything about extensive aftermarket modifications being protected and/or having to prove if the part caused the failure.

I could just be mis-reading it but if someone could point out the exact section that says that GM should cover heavily modified cars, I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #46
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Cost to repair is estimated by dealer at ~$1400.
Keep in mind, they probably wont be able to warranty thier own work, because of your mods..... Have it in writing............
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #47
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I feel for ya Moss... I went in to get my PDIM replaced and had to beg borrow and plead with them to even look it up to see if there was a TSB on it... I was honest with them up front, that I wanted to special treatment my car was modded and so on. In the end I had to pester the tech, and send him all the information and they agreed to help me.

Obviously my situation is on a non Drivetrain part.... but even there they didn't want anything to do with me....

At least they are consistent.

they aren't even fixing the oil pan leaks which are a manufacturer design flaw, if the car is modded.... headers and a tune have nothing to do with a seal failing on the oil pan...

but they are pretty comfortable waiving us off when ever they can... Which I don't understand becuase the dealer gets paid by GM to do the repair??? I guess GM is handing down heavy penalties for any warranty work done in violation of their stated terms.....

Very furstrating when you know or are reasonably sure the failure had nothing to do with the mods...

Yeah...I was VERY clear with the dealer upfront...even sent them the invoice from Vengeance with all the parts information.

Everyone...please don't get me wrong...I'm not in the least bit surprised and thankfully I'm in a position where the expense is not much of an issue for me. In some ways I wish there had been some 'real' damage and I would have an excuse to um...'do some more' :emoticon7: ...maybe even replace the whole engine... but...right now I can only justify replacing a crappy little oil pump. :(

Again...let this serve as a cautionary tale...if you're cracking the front of your engine open...go ahead and replace the pump...a Melling pump is on $150 and you'll save yourself the risk and expense of having to crack it open again should the pump fail.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #48
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Yeah...I was VERY clear with the dealer upfront...even sent them the invoice from Vengeance with all the parts information.

Everyone...please don't get me wrong...I'm not in the least bit surprised and thankfully I'm in a position where the expense is not much of an issue for me. In some ways I wish there had been some 'real' damage and I would have an excuse to um...'do some more' :emoticon7: ...maybe even replace the whole engine... but...right now I can only justify replacing a crappy little oil pump. :(

Again...let this serve as a cautionary tale...if you're cracking the front of your engine open...go ahead and replace the pump...a Melling pump is on $150 and you'll save yourself the risk and expense of having to crack it open again should the pump fail.

you mention showing them the invoice from vengeance...

I'll never forget the look on the service manager's face when he saw Tom Henry Chevrolet and all my mods on my dealer invoice...

I think he thought I forged it....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #49
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post

you mention showing them the invoice from vengeance...

I'll never forget the look on the service manager's face when he saw Tom Henry Chevrolet and all my mods on my dealer invoice...

I think he thought I forged it....
Still patiently waiting for that ride...maybe if it dries up tomorrow and you're free for lunch....

and...you feel like replacing an oil pump? I'm waiting to talk to a few folks that know my mechanical abilities and can tell me if this is something that I could undertake as a DIY. Maybe I'll make a mistake and ruin the engine...then I would have the excuse that I'm looking for....

"....do you see that 18mm socket around anywhere? ahh...forget it...here's the key...go crank it for me..."
Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
Addiction
It's not just a hobby!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sorry bro. That really sucks!

PS......My day has sucked too!

Name:  IMG_0577.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  180.8 KB
Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #51
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
Modded or not, GM put a faulty part in his car and it failed. If they can't stand behind their cars, I'd suggest buying from another car company.
You would, wouldn't you. Mr 2007 Mustang Gt owner...

OP: Thanks for the warning about the weak oil pump. If (when) I start modifying my car I will be sure to address this. But I will also realize that if I do crack into the engine in any significant way that I will be voiding my warranty and will go into it knowing this full well.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #52
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilKnightFalcon View Post
No offense but with the list of mods you have what do you expect? You have done significant modification to the engine and suspension on your car. Of course that is going to void your warranty on your engine, transmission, and driveline. I'd also expect it to void any warranty on suspension and exhaust as well. You really don't have any ground to stand on in this claim. Magnusson-Moss is meant to protect you in situations like you install a catback exhaust and your engine breaks.
I tend to agree on this. And like others have said lawyers will cost you way more than that 1400 fix. I dont understand how people think they can modify something as much as they want and still get everything for free. Burden of proof isn't really on them, its on you your the one thats going to have to prove that your mods had nothing to do with it. Sorry I dont feel bad.

I would have had your back if you had just a CAI or headers but you changed a bunch of internal parts including cam. I mean these parts are going to drastically change how GM wanted the engine to run. I know i know some are going to claim it runs better, yes i know. I just have no empathy for stuff like this because in the end it makes it harder for the rest of us to get stuff covered under warranty and probably drives up the cost of cars.

Last edited by nards444; 03-31-2011 at 02:39 PM.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #53
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Still patiently waiting for that ride...maybe if it dries up tomorrow and you're free for lunch....

and...you feel like replacing an oil pump? I'm waiting to talk to a few folks that know my mechanical abilities and can tell me if this is something that I could undertake as a DIY. Maybe I'll make a mistake and ruin the engine...then I would have the excuse that I'm looking for....

"....do you see that 18mm socket around anywhere? ahh...forget it...here's the key...go crank it for me..."
LOL

Tomorrow is blocked out...

next week should be good... and hell yeah I'm up for the oil pump

your place or mine?

Sick!!!! dude, that sucks...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #54
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
Modded or not, GM put a faulty part in his car and it failed. If they can't stand behind their cars, I'd suggest buying from another car company.
I got a F250 and its had plenty of Issues mr ford guy. And if it were a faulty part it would be on a recall. Maybe even a TSB and even a TSB doesnt mean every one is bad either
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #55
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
"Originally Posted by GM
Based on the information below - Please inform the customer that the Powertrain portion of the Vehicle Warranty is no longer in effect for the engine, transmission, driveline and rear axle on 2G1FT1EWXA9111238 due to the presence of non GM calibrations and equipment. The stresses resulting from the non GM calibrations and equipment were not validated by GM and therefore be warranted on any components that are subject to those stresses.
Repairs to components below should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. I have informed the group and VISS will be updated accordingly"

Who ever wrote that doesn't know what they are talking about or how to read their own bulletin.

The aftermarket calibration bulletin is clear - the powertrain warranty gets "blocked" , not "no longer in effect" as they have stated above.

When blocked, the warranty will very much still be in effect. Only difference now will be every powertrain warranty claim will require GM approval. And the bulletin is clear to the dealer, that they are to contact their FOM (GM rep) when a warranty question is raised on a blocked warranty. They should then explain the diagnosis of what caused the failure. The warranty on the car is clear that if the modification caused the damage it is not covered. If the FOM payed attention in Law 101, they will have a clue that if it is a manufacturering defect that caused the failure, and not the modification, it is covered.

They could also ask the GM legal person who approved the aftermarket calibration bulletin - why was the first version of that bulletin that did say - the remainder of the warranty is cancelled - quickly replaced by the current version of that bulletin that uses the wording "blocked". The words - voided, cancelled, no longer in effect - are not in the current version of the bulletin. Why? Because legally you can't do that. Any doubt of that fact - ask the GM legal rep.

There are laws in place that prevent companies from voiding warranties. They use weasel tactics around that by "blocking", but the warranty is still there, still in effect, just every claim will require approval.

If the modifications were minor, might be a better bet at challenging. With internal mods like cam... most likely an uphill battle at best.

But, if you can prove it was a manufacturing defect, and not the modifications that caused the damage... i.e. a certified technician's diagnosis, bulletin... might be worth pursuing. Small claims court does not require attorneys, you present your own case and see what the court rules.

Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #56
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
I got a F250 and its had plenty of Issues mr ford guy. And if it were a faulty part it would be on a recall. Maybe even a TSB and even a TSB doesnt mean every one is bad either
If Toyota is any example. Auto makers don't make a recall or TSB for every part found to have a fault. It's all a cost matter. if it would cost less to perform the recall than the probable legal action due to the faulty part, the company will perform the recall. Plain and simple. TSBs are a favor to service depts so they don't have to do a bunch of tinkering for a common problem. Doesn't mean they'll replace your part if it doesn't seem to be causing the problem where in a recall they replace the part whether or not it is malfunctioning.