Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #43
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Wouldn't Dealerships who sell over MSRP end up hurting themselves in the long run by losing allocations. If the Dealership across town sells at or under MSRP they will surely get the volume AND a bump in future allocations.

If the consumer refuses to pay over MSRP...the car sits on the lot their allocations will decrease...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Wouldn't Dealerships who sell over MSRP end up hurting themselves in the long run by losing allocations. If the Dealership across town sells at or under MSRP they will surely get the volume AND a bump in future allocations.

If the consumer refuses to pay over MSRP...the car sits on the lot their allocations will decrease...
If the markup is 5 times the normal profit, they won't be too worried about losing 2 or 3 allocation slots down the road.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #45
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If the markup is 5 times the normal profit, they won't be too worried about losing 2 or 3 allocation slots down the road.
True, but in the meantime they lose a return customer who now goes across town to buy that Silverado and tells all his friends the same. Reputation is something they can't easily measure on their calculators...
Old 10-08-2011, 10:13 PM   #46
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
True, but the ones who put market adjustments on their cars are very short sighted, they do not realize the power of reputation and repeat customers.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #47
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNC View Post
This all goes back to one of my previous posts. GM and Chevrolet are all over this board. All the excitement over this car will surely drive-up the price.
GM or Chevrolet will have nothing to do with that. The free market will have some influence over it. Privately owned dealerships will do what they may.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNC View Post
Seems like all those "price is no object" buyers out there are starting to second guess themselves. Sure, I'll buy one, but I don't want it so bad that I will spend "stupid" money to get one.
With all due respect, I haven't read a post on this board where someone said money is no object, I think we all have a line in the sand drawn price wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
Not paying MSRP...
watch.......
I wish you luck my friend..that may be later rather than sooner, but..positive thoughts equal positive results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
why? She doesn't get privaliged information... What do you want to know? I have explained allocation and dates in a few ZL1 threads.

Price isn't realeased so nothing to discuss there.

It's waiting game until the 24th...
...when the allocation tables are anounced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
My instinct on this is as follows:

Allocations/initial production are going to be lower than originally forecast. Whos knows why? Not me. But I think it may be due to simply not overpromising and underdelivering. Therefore GM may be asking dealers to temper demand down by holding pricing at MSRP to help them not look like they are failing to meet demand. I don't find that all out of the ordinary. And it's probably just asking them to be a "team" player until they sort out internals in Oshawa etc etc...
Htron, keep repeating to yourself, as scarce as hens teeth, as scarce as hens teeth...ah, yes...now look at my watch, you're feeling sleepy, veeeery sleepy...wan't the ZL1 do you....?
Quote:
Good point.
But, Chevy has been building cars for 100 years now.
They knew what they were going to do way long ago on the ZL1.
It is in the nature of the beast so to speak. They know. They do know what they are doing more than the enthusiast on c5 does and even salesmen/women on c5.
We need to all just to let them do what they do best. Build and sell the best cars in America at the BEST price for 100 years now.
Happy Birthday Chevrolet!

I agree 68RS, Chevy rocks...but this whole long odyssey to deliver the ZL1 has had more twists and turn in it's development than most would believe to be true. I think if NOT for certain people being placed in the right place at the right time we might not be seeing the majic happen before our very eyes.
Quote:
There are many ZR1's still on the lot. What does that tell you?
It will all die down eventually.
...but don't wait too long, time is not on our side..
Old 10-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #48
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Htron, keep repeating to yourself, as scarce as hens teeth, as scarce as hens teeth...ah, yes...now look at my watch, you're feeling sleepy, veeeery sleepy...wan't the ZL1 do you....?

:
LOL.......... I know.... its gonna be scarce! For awhile. Don't make me sleepy, I need to stay ALERT!!

htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #49
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
The problem in waiting for it to die down is, not getting to order it the way you want it. I know it isn't Burger King, but I like buying a new car with all the features I do and do not want on it. Instead of buying one off the lot and saying I wish it had "X" or I wish it didn't have "X"...:(
Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #50
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
The problem in waiting for it to die down is, not getting to order it the way you want it. I know it isn't Burger King, but I like buying a new car with all the features I do and do not want on it. Instead of buying one off the lot and saying I wish it had "X" or I wish it didn't have "X"...:(
Exactly... and hopefully being "IN ON" the order guides put in on Oct 29th!!
Don't set your alarm clock for Oct 25 th on this!!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #51
Kabul SS

Drives: IBM Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
True, MSRP won't be officially announced until mid November, but I think there is a high probability that the ZL1 MSRP will fall somewhere between $50,000 and $60,000, if, as stated, the ZL1 intends to compete with the GT500.

If the MSRP falls within that expected range, I believe that most who are currently considering purchasing a ZL1 will continue to do so. If the MSRP is substantially above that range, many will probably reconsider.
I don't think they'll have any problems selling the ZL1 at a markup initially. They'll be enough people who what to be the first to own one and have plenty of money to burn (first one when for $250K at auction). Sometimes they don't even have an employee discount for hot new cars right away (likely to happen for the ZL1). Just be patient. If you've waited this long for a ZL1 a few more months until the excitement has subsided and they come down to MSRP, which always happens, won't kill you (at least I hope not).
Kabul SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #52
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabul SS View Post
I don't think they'll have any problems selling the ZL1 at a markup initially. They'll be enough people who what to be the first to own one and have plenty of money to burn (first one when for $250K at auction). Sometimes they don't even have an employee discount for hot new cars right away (likely to happen for the ZL1). Just be patient. If you've waited this long for a ZL1 a few more months until the excitement has subsided and they come down to MSRP, which always happens, won't kill you (at least I hope not).
Initial dealer markup and MSRP are two different things.

I think that if the ZL1 MSRP is somewhere in the $50,000s, most who are currently considering purchasing a ZL1 will continue to do so, but if the MSRP is significantly higher than that, I believe that many will reconsider the purchase of a ZL1.

Dealer markup, on the other hand, regardless of MSRP, can be avoided by anyone who is willing to exercise a little patience and diligence.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #53
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
is this "List" an official list ?? or is it just a piece on paper the dealer wrote your name down on ?? $55,000- $57,000 MSRP... trust me

Just because you think the Camaro ZL1 is going to compete with the GT500, still doesn't mean the MSRP/Price has to be in the same ball park... The added Technology alone over the GT500 will justify the added cost..

Last edited by mr02Z/28; 10-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #54
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
is this "List" an official list ?? or is it just a piece on paper the dealer wrote your name down on ?? $55,000- $57,000 MSRP... trust me

Just because you think the Camaro ZL1 is going to compete with the GT500, still doesn't mean the MSRP/Price has to be in the same ball park... The added Technology alone over the GT500 will justify the added cost..
The list I am on is retarded, took the dealer a month to confirm my position, which I am told is 9th on the list. I have no price/MSRP guarantee, essentially just the confirmation from some salesman that I am in 9th position.

I agree, no way the ZL1 will be in the same ball park as GT500, at least not the 2012 model, and I consider those who think the ZL1 is going to come in under $50k just plain naive.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #55
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
The list I am on is retarded, took the dealer a month to confirm my position, which I am told is 9th on the list. I have no price/MSRP guarantee, essentially just the confirmation from some salesman that I am in 9th position.

I agree, no way the ZL1 will be in the same ball park as GT500, at least not the 2012 model, and I consider those who think the ZL1 is going to come in under $50k just plain naive.
find a new dealer or your salesman is
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #56
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synerbee View Post
find a new dealer or your salesman is
I know, unfortunetly it may have took me a little too long to realize this It seems most delaerships already have several on the list at this point.