Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #43
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Bodih, brilliant thinking!! Ensuring a more secure fit with a connector looped over the post and snapped up, not down, makes perfect sense to me. Though I am not an engineer I do know what works - and like your very practical solution. Though everything and anything at one's own risk.
Made a weekend trip up to Show Low. Over 4 hrs with the top down and cover installed, and a good period of time over 90 MPH. New clip design held solid. Top didn't even flutter. It was nice not to have to worry about it for once.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #44
cactuseater

Drives: .
Good job on the safety modification. Watch GM try to steal this idea to and issue a TSB on it before one of these flies off and smacks a school bus windshield.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #45
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Good job on the safety modification. Watch GM try to steal this idea to and issue a TSB on it before one of these flies off and smacks a school bus windshield.
I have no problem with that if it produces a better product. Just wish they'd acknowledge that there's a problem, rather than hear "we've never heard of that happening before" everytime I talk to the dealership.

If your cover blows off in the middle of a 6-lane highway in California, what kind of incident is it going to cause? Are you going to risk your life to go back and recover it in the middle of the road? Because if you don't have the damaged article to claim a replacement, they're not obligated to provide a new one under warranty.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #46
WoodyBldr31

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS Convertible
My 2011 tonneau came off at 110K last week so I took it to my dealership. The service manager said that he needs to see the difference with the new cover for 2012 until then he won't do anything. I spoke with the sales manager to see if there were any 2012s in stock or on order with the reply being no. I just got off the phone with GM Canada Customer service who told me they'll have to look into it. I told them that the 2011 part number (22792015) supercedes to 2012 part number (22804477) which then supercedes to 2011-2013 part number (22842151). The newer part numbers have the looped cord instead of the plastic(?) tabs that secure the front of the tonneau to the bolts with spacers which are the same numbers for 2011-2013. I'm completely baffled as to the hoops and red tape I have to go through to get a poorly designed item (and safety issue) handled at GM. Incidentally, when I asked the partsman to look up the cover number he first told me thay are not allowed to give out part numbers, secondly, he told me that a tonneau cover only is for truck boxes??????? ( GM actually call them "top boots") and thirdly, it took him over 10 minutes to locate the item in the catalogue. I was a GM partsman for almost 30 years, and owned 10 GM vehicles through the time and never met a partsman so uninformed . For me to prove to them that this newer part number works better than the old one I have to (a)wait until the dealership gets a 2012-2013 vert, (b)see if someone in the local area is willing to come with me to the dealership to show them or (c) just order one in to the tune of about $500.00 US which may or may not be reimbursed. If any of this info helps with any of you with this problem of departing tonneaus, you're definately welcome.
WoodyBldr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #47
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
I lost my confidence (and tonneau cover) a few weeks ago. Had driven 2 hours on the freeway at over 70 MPH without a problem. On the return trip, we no sooner pulled onto the freeway and got up to speed, and I saw the passenger side pop up about an inch, then the whole thing disappeared. Luckily it landed in the median, and I recovered it without damage.

I know the clips were fastened when we left. The only difference was a gusting crosswind on the return trip. From what I've seen, I believe the curved surface generates a lifting effect when the air passes over it, pulling the clips up. The loops on the new version shouldn't have this problem, but I don't feel that's the best answer either. I'm working on a clip design that fits over the posts, and snaps upward.

I like having the cover installed, but we shouldn't have to drive in fear of losing the cover everytime we pass another vehicle...

...not to mention your coolness points drop to zero when parts start flying off your car as you drive by a Mustang owner!
Sounds like the Bernoulli effect. Great in throttle bodies & venturi, but on an installed tonneau - not so much. :(
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #48
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Sounds like the Bernoulli effect. Great in throttle bodies & venturi, but on an installed tonneau - not so much. :(
Working with military acft for over 28 years, I was goiing to say that, but didn't want to lose my audience...

Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #49
ADzurka
DZ

Drives: 2011 SS Convertable
Send a message via AIM to ADzurka Send a message via Skype™ to ADzurka
My bolts were not installed, the dealer left them in a small bag in the tops carrying case. Thank god this forum told me to take it back to be installed or I would have lost mine too..
ADzurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #50
H0peful1

Drives: --
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyBldr31 View Post
My 2011 tonneau came off at 110K last week so I took it to my dealership. The service manager said that he needs to see the difference with the new cover for 2012 until then he won't do anything. I spoke with the sales manager to see if there were any 2012s in stock or on order with the reply being no. I just got off the phone with GM Canada Customer service who told me they'll have to look into it. I told them that the 2011 part number (22792015) supercedes to 2012 part number (22804477) which then supercedes to 2011-2013 part number (22842151). The newer part numbers have the looped cord instead of the plastic(?) tabs that secure the front of the tonneau to the bolts with spacers which are the same numbers for 2011-2013. I'm completely baffled as to the hoops and red tape I have to go through to get a poorly designed item (and safety issue) handled at GM. Incidentally, when I asked the partsman to look up the cover number he first told me thay are not allowed to give out part numbers, secondly, he told me that a tonneau cover only is for truck boxes??????? ( GM actually call them "top boots") and thirdly, it took him over 10 minutes to locate the item in the catalogue. I was a GM partsman for almost 30 years, and owned 10 GM vehicles through the time and never met a partsman so uninformed . For me to prove to them that this newer part number works better than the old one I have to (a)wait until the dealership gets a 2012-2013 vert, (b)see if someone in the local area is willing to come with me to the dealership to show them or (c) just order one in to the tune of about $500.00 US which may or may not be reimbursed. If any of this info helps with any of you with this problem of departing tonneaus, you're definately welcome.
Maybe Becky can help. Link
H0peful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #51
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
After reading all this and just thinking it’s a matter of time before mine fly’s off I went and got Velcro and installed it along the back of the back seat (between the bolts) and on the front of the 3 sections of the tonneau cover. Cover is very secure now I know it’s a Band-Aid fix but it is peace of mind and you can’t see it.
I can’t take the credit for the idea I did see it somewhere in one of the threads but can’t find it to give the person credit.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #52
JE625W

Drives: 2011 Camaro Black 2SS Convertible
My top flew off today, was going 75-80 miles per hour on the carpool lane. I called the dealer right away, they said to go tomorrow to make an appoitmemt with service dept. Hopefully they replace it for free.
JE625W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #53
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE625W View Post
My top flew off today, was going 75-80 miles per hour on the carpool lane. I called the dealer right away, they said to go tomorrow to make an appoitmemt with service dept. Hopefully they replace it for free.
I'm assuming since yours is an '11, you have (had) the clips instead of loops. Are your posts installed behind the seat? Were the clips engaged properly? I'm not questioning your intelligence, but these are all the questions they asked me after mine blew off, like I didn't know what I was doing. I had to teach the dealership how to install it when my car first arrived!
Were you able to recover the top? One owner I spoke to last year said he had to fight for another top because he didn't have the damaged one to turn in. The Service Dept told him they needed proof the original was lost/damaged in order to replace it under warranty. Otherwise, you may be trying to scam them out of a free top cover.

Keep us informed on how this unfolds...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #54
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JE625W View Post
Please let us know how your service appointment went and if they were able to replace your tonneau cover.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service