Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #43
buckeyemike

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Well, there was a time when some basic car smarts were REQUIRED to be able to get into and drive a car. Knowing that the power steering shuts off when the car stalls could save a life or property damage. Imagine if someone stalled taking a turn and not knowing the car still steered manually so they just let go of the wheel and hit something/someone.

Look at all the people who had "runaway" toyotas that didn't know you could put the car in neutral or shut the engine off with the starter button.
You make a great point. I hate that Americans just get handed driver's licenses after taking some b/s tests.
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #44
Partlow

Drives: 2010 1SS Camaro, 2012 Charger R/T
This is what upsets me about the military. I'm grateful you serve for our country and I'm sorry you don't see your family. Last time I checked there wasn't a draft, so don't act like you were forced to serve. It's an honor to serve in the military and maybe I'm more of a humble guy but it erks me when thats all people say.

Maybe I look at life different but you can't change fate. If the good lord says it's your time to go then it is. Whether it is you or a loved one there's no changing that. Yes we can try to prevent things but at the same time you can't live in a bubble. I for sure don't trust anyone I'm driving around but does that mean I'm gonna quit driving?!

Final thought, you were a bit of a dick. She called you out, and you brought up your military service and family to either one up her, or make yourself feel right. -1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsZL1 View Post

Forums are for alot of things, however, angry name-calling i don't think is one of them. I stand by what I said and I'd say it again. There was a post similar to this posted a few days ago. That OP didn't know that turning off their engine killed power-assist brakes and said it was a flaw in the car.

As someone who is 27, married, has a son, and is currently in Afghanistan. I can't do much about my families safety except wish people who don't understand how to drive stay away from my wife and son till they figure out that power-steering is an engine driven feature.

Sorry to offend you, but it sounds like a fuel issue for making an auto stall.
Partlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #45
buckeyemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partlow View Post
This is what upsets me about the military. I'm grateful you serve for our country and I'm sorry you don't see your family. Last time I checked there wasn't a draft, so don't act like you were forced to serve. It's an honor to serve in the military and maybe I'm more of a humble guy but it erks me when thats all people say.

Maybe I look at life different but you can't change fate. If the good lord says it's your time to go then it is. Whether it is you or a loved one there's no changing that. Yes we can try to prevent things but at the same time you can't live in a bubble. I for sure don't trust anyone I'm driving around but does that mean I'm gonna quit driving?!

Final thought, you were a bit of a dick. She called you out, and you brought up your military service and family to either one up her, or make yourself feel right. -1
He isn't even complaining about being in the military, in case you can't read (don't worry, you CAN call me a dick because I am). Him bringing it up was also pertinent to his post regarding how stupid people who don't understand the basics of "shut off power, steering becomes hard" are hazardous to other drivers lives and it would be a shame that he could potential come home to family being killed by some moron who didn't think killing the engine would kill the assisted brakes and power steering.

No, not everyone needs to be an engineer, but you're driving a 3500 lb machine that can kill people... you realize this, right? If you don't know how to react to situations, you can literally kill someone. I know that it might be crazy because everyone gets complacent because they drive everywhere every single day. It seriously boggles my mind how lightly someone takes something that is this dangerous. It's like someone owning a hand gun and not knowing how to clear the chamber or even know if the safety is off.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #46
Partlow

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
He isn't even complaining about being in the military, in case you can't read (don't worry, you CAN call me a dick because I am). Him bringing it up was also pertinent to his post regarding how stupid people who don't understand the basics of "shut off power, steering becomes hard" are hazardous to other drivers lives and it would be a shame that he could potential come home to family being killed by some moron who didn't think killing the engine would kill the assisted brakes and power steering.

No, not everyone needs to be an engineer, but you're driving a 3500 lb machine that can kill people... you realize this, right? If you don't know how to react to situations, you can literally kill someone. I know that it might be crazy because everyone gets complacent because they drive everywhere every single day. It seriously boggles my mind how lightly someone takes something that is this dangerous. It's like someone owning a hand gun and not knowing how to clear the chamber or even know if the safety is off.
In the ops original post nothing hinted towards her steering being difficult after the car died completely, just stalled(lets ask her the definition of stall because as much as you're flaming her she could possibly be meaning something else). I could see it being understood that way and maybe I'm in the minority of reading it as " I went to make a right turn, my car stalled, and my wheel locked up, then my car died". Tell me where it says " hey guys my steering became difficult after I turned my car off".

See thats YOUR problem. && You want to say "in case i can't read"... again i have to ask "why?", do you feel the need to make yourself feel above someone constantly? You act as if people take driving too lightly but then we have people like you that take things too seriously. So i'm also gonna say you obey ALL the traffic laws and speed limits? If not you're just as bad! It's okay for you to speed because "you know what you're doing" right...? Absolutely not, and it's okay for you to speed and I'm supposed to be okay with it and the possible chance of someone like you(speeding) harming my family by possibly running a red light, or losing control of their 3500 lb machine? Whether you don't know your vehicle or you're doing something as small as going 40mph on a suggested 30mph turn it's still wrong. Don't try to get in a rights & wrong argument because you'll be full of contradictions. I do however agree 100% that people need to be responsible for their actions, whether that be stealing, cheating, DUI, or owning anything. We can't just lash out on someone for making an honest mistake though. Regardless of how you feel there's never going to be a perfect world. Accept it. Instead of making her feel dumb try to explain things to her, who knows you could be saving a life.

I'm not gonna bust the OP w/o hearing more of the story. Why would you tell her that's why she shouldn't drive because my family could be injured by her some day(which could easily happen unfortunately, that's LIFE) but mention I'm in Afghanistan for what reason????.... Instead of asking her WHAT exactly happened you and others make assumptions that make you look like complete asshats. Also i'm not saying he's complaining about being in the military but why even mention it?!?!?! That's my first post's original POINT. I'm guessing you took offense to my original post because i said something about the military, seeing your location i can only guess that means air force. If you honestly took that much offense to my comment then you need a reality check.

IMO her original post does not at all sound like shes curious where her power steering went after her car shut off. Don't try to teach other people like they're less than you or act like someone is a complete idiot when her original post wasn't specific enough for you to make that judgement. She's got an issue and obviously heard this forum is a great place to get some good feedback. You being a dick isn't helping her or our community.

Move along troll.

Last edited by Partlow; 03-06-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #47
buckeyemike

Quote:
See thats YOUR problem. You act as if people take driving too lightly but then we have people like you that take things too seriously

IMO her original post does not at all sound like shes curious where her power steering went after her car shut off. Don't try to teach other people like they're less than you or act like someone is a complete idiot when her original post wasn't specific enough for you to make that judgement. Move along troll.
Oh, okay, didn't know doing 40 mph in a metric ton hunk of steel shouldn't be serious...

I'm not trolling or judging, but when someone says "the car stalled, the wheel locked" that typically means that the engine turned off. I'm not sure what stall means to you, but in the regular universe stalling means the engine stops turning and shuts off. Perhaps try reading before you play Internet White Knight.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #48
Partlow

Quote:
Oh, okay, didn't know doing 40 mph in a metric ton hunk of steel shouldn't be serious...

I'm not trolling or judging, but when someone says "the car stalled, the wheel locked" that typically means that the engine turned off. I'm not sure what stall means to you, but in the regular universe stalling means the engine stops turning and shuts off. Perhaps try reading before you play Internet White Knight.
you're darn right, a stall is a stall. if you're going to judge her on the lack of knowledge for power steering then she deserves the same damn judgement on her knowledge of a stall.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #49
buckeyemike

Quote:
you're darn right, a stall is a stall. if you're going to judge her on the lack of knowledge for power steering then she deserves the same damn judgement on her knowledge of a stall.
You're right, I should just assume no one knows what they're talking about.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #50
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Quote:

Try not to assume things. I'm here as a civilian contractor flying UAVs. Military has nothing to do with this. I chose to come over here.

I don't expect people to live in a bubble and nor do I expect people to trust ANYONE on the road and I'll never expect someone to quit driving.

However, when people don't understand the basic functions of a car, there in lies a danger to peoples loved ones.

Sorry that I expect more out of society, my mistake for expecting people to be able to understand braking, steering, and acceleration. With or without the power-assists. I've driven a car with air in the brake lines, I've had a serpentine belt break and drive in traffic from work to my apartment over 15 miles. In a 1995 Caprice.

Sorry again if my opinion hurt someones feeling. Afterall, it's just an internet forum.

Edit: What does the OP being a female have to do with anything at all? Seems kinda sexist that people should treat somoene better or worse due to their sex.

Last edited by RedWingsZL1; 03-06-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Quick after-thought!
RedWingsZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #51
biggerisbetter
lll

Drives: 2010 camaro ss L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsZL1 View Post

Edit: What does the OP being a female have to do with anything at all? Seems kinda sexist that people should treat somoene better or worse due to their sex.

+1
DYNATECH LT 1 7/8 HEADERS, CATLESS MID PIPES, CORSA CATBACK, CAI. COLD AIR INTAKE w/ SCOOP, 1LE 3:91 GEARS, LETHAL RACING PROWLER CAM, LETHAL RACING DYNO TUNE, ENERGY CRADDLE BUSHING INSERTS, PADDLE SHIFTER RELOCATE KIT, 449RWHP/438TQ
APPEARANCE
COPO HOOD, ZL1 SPOILER, SLP BLACKOUT PANEL, PLASTI DIP WHEELS, HERITAGE GRILL, RETRO SS EMBLEMS, WEATHER TECH FLOOR MATS, ORANGE STITCHING
biggerisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #52
RedWingsZL1

Drives: 2013 AGM M6 ZL1, 2008 Tahoe LTZ
Quote:
In the ops original post nothing hinted towards her steering being difficult after the car died completely, just stalled(lets ask her the definition of stall because as much as you're flaming her she could possibly be meaning something else). I could see it being understood that way and maybe I'm in the minority of reading it as " I went to make a right turn, my car stalled, and my wheel locked up, then my car died". Tell me where it says " hey guys my steering became difficult after I turned my car off".

See thats YOUR problem. && You want to say "in case i can't read"... again i have to ask "why?", do you feel the need to make yourself feel above someone constantly? You act as if people take driving too lightly but then we have people like you that take things too seriously. So i'm also gonna say you obey ALL the traffic laws and speed limits? If not you're just as bad! It's okay for you to speed because "you know what you're doing" right...? Absolutely not, and it's okay for you to speed and I'm supposed to be okay with it and the possible chance of someone like you(speeding) harming my family by possibly running a red light, or losing control of their 3500 lb machine? Whether you don't know your vehicle or you're doing something as small as going 40mph on a suggested 30mph turn it's still wrong. Don't try to get in a rights & wrong argument because you'll be full of contradictions. I do however agree 100% that people need to be responsible for their actions, whether that be stealing, cheating, DUI, or owning anything. We can't just lash out on someone for making an honest mistake though. Regardless of how you feel there's never going to be a perfect world. Accept it. Instead of making her feel dumb try to explain things to her, who knows you could be saving a life.

I'm not gonna bust the OP w/o hearing more of the story. Why would you tell her that's why she shouldn't drive because my family could be injured by her some day(which could easily happen unfortunately, that's LIFE) but mention I'm in Afghanistan for what reason????.... Instead of asking her WHAT exactly happened you and others make assumptions that make you look like complete asshats. Also i'm not saying he's complaining about being in the military but why even mention it?!?!?! That's my first post's original POINT. I'm guessing you took offense to my original post because i said something about the military, seeing your location i can only guess that means air force. If you honestly took that much offense to my comment then you need a reality check.

IMO her original post does not at all sound like shes curious where her power steering went after her car shut off. Don't try to teach other people like they're less than you or act like someone is a complete idiot when her original post wasn't specific enough for you to make that judgement. She's got an issue and obviously heard this forum is a great place to get some good feedback. You being a dick isn't helping her or our community.

Move along troll.
I don't think anyone here is trolling except for you.

Don't need to ask what happened, it's stated in the OP and the title of the post. I read it, and I am sick of reading that people think their car should brake and steer just fine with the engine off.

The roads are more dangerous with people like this on the roads. People need to have a better understanding of how vehicles function.

Oh, and regarding Afghanistan. Pretty sad when it's more dangerous on roads than it is here huh?

Someone correct me: I believe the OWNER'S MANUAL explains power steering right?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #53
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
Quote:
You're right, I should just assume no one knows what they're talking about.
It's a forum for automotive enthusiasts, why would anyone here know anything about cars? Shouldn't we just leave that to the dealer?
slomaro3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #54
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 View Post
Shouldn't we just leave that to the dealer?
good one

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #55
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
We all need to hug.
Attached Images

dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #56
ScottR

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
I had the same thing happen to me once. I was at a drive through, going around the building, went to make the turn and lost power steering, looked down and RPMs were at zero. It ended up being the keys in the ignition, the other keys were flipped up and laying over the top of the ignition key. The weight of them simple moved the key enough to turn it off.

Tags
car stalled, electrical, fuel pump, wheel locked